Anyone been on an aircraft before it later crashed?

Joshua949

Has anyone here actually been on an airplane then you later heard it crashed maybe by days, weeks, months, or years?

Let me start. I have been on an American Airlines Super 80 that later crashed either by months or a year. I remember it was flight 1420 & I think I flew it one time to RDU-DFW or RDU-ORD. I found out it crashed on the news.

1.jpg

How do you know it was the same plane? It could have been the same flight number and yet been a different tail number. Unless you know that the tail number was the same on both planes, you were more than likely on a different number plane.

[edit]Or did you mean "Has anyone been on a certain flight #, that later crashed?[/edit]

The first airplane ever flew & first soloed in crashed about a year after I got my PPL.

Also I spent many hours as a F/A aboard N012MQ, one of Eagle's oldest ATR 42s. A few months after Eagle sold it (to some European operator) it flew into a mountain somewhere in Italy, killed everyone on board. I'd heard it was flying relief missions of some sort, but I don't know any details of the crash.

4 come to mind, a Bell 407 and Jetranger, flipped 2 days ago (not really a crash), a 172 that landed hard and broke off the nose wheel, and nieghbors 182RG which she landed gear up. I've also flown a Streaman after it flipped on landing.

I had a rental checkout in a Warrior. About a month later another renter overloaded it, crashed, and totaled it.

[ QUOTE ]
How do you know it was the same plane? It could have been the same flight number and yet been a different tail number. Unless you know that the tail number was the same on both planes, you were more than likely on a different number plane.

[edit]Or did you mean "Has anyone been on a certain flight #, that later crashed?[/edit]

[/ QUOTE ]

Which ever one. Whether it was the same flight # & a diff. plane or the same plane, it still sort of gives ya the creeps b/c that could've been u on that plane at a later date in time...

The plane I flew on my commercial solo cross-country crashed 6 days later claiming the lives of a new CFI and his wife, brother-in-law and mother-in-law. Very weird having an airplane tailnumber in my logbook that took the lives of 4 people....

All three of the C-150s/152s I flew as a student back in '86 were later destroyed in accidents.

A 172-SP that I used during training nosed over after running off the runway. It was owned by my old CFI.

A couple of Bonanzas I flew were crashed by subsequent owners. I also had flown an ERAU Seminole that a Riddle instructor later stole and flew in to the dirt off 7L at DAB intentionally ... it was a suicide. A 152 and a 172 that I instructed in were the victims of prop strikes, but neither totalled the airplanes.

FL270

I've flown a rental plane that had crashed before I flew it (and been repaired), and a different one that was totaled after I flew it (not by my pilotage).

I'm trying not to work on the only one left ... "during."
shocked.gif

My favorite plane didnt crash, but the engine failed on the flight after mine. The renter landed in some field and they had to take her apart to get it home. (Shes never been quite the same).

My husband had been flying a "death trap" as he called it up until recently. He found out last week that it geared up for the second time. (Is that the right term for when the gear doesn't come down?) He also has flown a few others that crashed and killed a few people. Scary stuff at our FBO, that's why we wanted out of it.

I flew on the squardrons A-3 trash hauler, it later crashed about a year later killing everyone onboard.

I flew a C172 that someone taxied into a windsock. The plane was fixed and flew again, so I don't know if that counts.

A 152 that I used to do alot of flight training in crashed after running out of fuel.....with a student and my old CFI on board. They walked away, but the aircraft was destroyed.

And let me just say, it wasn't the airplane's fault....

Any of you who have flown Big Al (66AL)at FSA have flown a rebuilt airplane. One of the 150s that I flew that later was totalled had also been previously rebuilt. (Talk about karma.
grin.gif
)

I also flew two 150s that had earlier had engine failures and sucessful emergency landings. One of those was on a downtown street in Athens, GA during rush hour.

Back