anybody have a clark H10-30 headset still?

Philip

I've had one for about a decade and I'm too cheap to replace it. and I kind of like it too.

My big beef and the reason for the thread is the M1/DC mic is the MOST sensitive mic I've ever encountered when it comes to wind noise. Today had a door pop open in flight and it was irritating enough that I need to find a solution, they still sell these so I'm sure someone has one.

So, does anyone have one? Is yours sensitive too? Mine has a sock on it, doesn't help. Maybe my mic has been defective since new. They sell a mic upgrade to an M7/DC electret mic, I don't know if it's worth $100 bucks but it's cheaper than a new clark headset.

"bonanza XXXX do you need asistance after landing?"
NO I'M JUST ANNOYED I CAN'T HEAR MYSELF THINK WITH ALL THIS WIND NOISE IN MY EAR, THANKS" :rolleyes:

the best solution is to get a new mic. you can also get one of oregon aero's mic muff kits. They work pretty well at killing all background noise. If you get a new mic and the mic kit, then you'll have absolutely no noise from your mic. I have one on my old DC's and it works great.....15 bucks or so.

edit: I think you might be able to adjust the gain on that microphone too....might wanna call DC and find out.

the best solution is to get a new mic. you can also get one of oregon aero's mic muff kits. They work pretty well at killing all background noise. If you get a new mic and the mic kit, then you'll have absolutely no noise from your mic. I have one on my old DC's and it works great.....15 bucks or so.

Funny thing is I learned to fly out of MMV in oregon and I have a clark mic muff I bought FROM oregon aero back in the 90's, must have been before they made their own.

ANYWAY. Are you saying to get a new M1 mic, or get a new upgraded M7 mic and a muff?

Funny thing is I learned to fly out of MMV in oregon and I have a clark mic muff I bought FROM oregon aero back in the 90's, must have been before they made their own.

ANYWAY. Are you saying to get a new M1 mic, or get a new upgraded M7 mic and a muff?

new m7 and the muff. that's the setup i have on my 10-60's and the thing is completely silent. There was a little hiss before i put on the oregon aero kit, but now there is absolutely no noise. Also, check to see if you can adjust the gain on the microphone you have now. I seem to remember being able to adjust the m1 gain.

new m7 and the muff. that's the setup i have on my 10-60's and the thing is completely silent. There was a little hiss before i put on the oregon aero kit, but now there is absolutely no noise. Also, check to see if you can adjust the gain on the microphone you have now. I seem to remember being able to adjust the m1 gain.

yeah you can crank the gain down but it needs a screwdriver and as a renter I'm a bit hesitant to lower it too much.

I'll order an M7 and a muff, for $100 bucks or $120 total it's a cheap bandaid for a pretty solid headset otherwise, thanks!

Still got my old H-10-80s from 1990, that still work like a champ.

I like this old set.
it's not light
it's not an ANR
it's not even that comfortable
but it's been with me forever.

it's even on the original set of gel earcups.

I am pretty sure that the headset my uncle passed on to me was an H10-30. Definently a good headset. I upgraded to Lightspeed, but I will definently hold onto the DC for passengers.:)

My 10-30's were the exact same way. Extremely sensitive to wind noise, even with a mic cover. Very annoying.

So, you're not alone.

Year or so ago I sent my DC's back to the factory for rebuild- got everything new for small change. I'm still juggling saving my hearing with a new set of ANR's to not hearing something cause the ANR's might cancel out the noise.
icon6.gif

I highly recommend the Oregon Aero mic muff. It's worked quite well for the 10-30 and the Bose X while flying open cockpits.

And here I thought it was just mine! My only flight time was in the 172R and SP and it would pick up the engine noise in the SP but only on takeoff and climb out. Once at cruise power, rarely did the problem manifest itself. So I never did anything about it save for placing the mic right up against my chin.

Year or so ago I sent my DC's back to the factory for rebuild- got everything new for small change. I'm still juggling saving my hearing with a new set of ANR's to not hearing something cause the ANR's might cancel out the noise.
icon6.gif

Get the ANR, it doesn't block the so called "critical" sounds.

Those of you who are sticking with an old non-ANR headset that is uncomfortable just because it's been with you forever and you like it, I say this in the nicest way possible, but you're idiots.

Those of you who are sticking with an old non-ANR headset that is uncomfortable just because it's been with you forever and you like it, I say this in the nicest way possible, but you're idiots.

Two questions:

1. What are "critical" sounds?
2. Why would they be idiots?

idiot, possibly
stubborn, most definitely.

it just isn't flying if I don't have THIS headset on. this headset was there for my first solo, every checkride from private through CFII, it sat in my flight bag in the trunk of my car through brutal ND winters, it deserves a few more rides.
As little as I fly coughing up $800 and up on a flashwhiz new ANR headset is about a waste of money, sorry.

And here I thought it was just mine! My only flight time was in the 172R and SP and it would pick up the engine noise in the SP but only on takeoff and climb out. Once at cruise power, rarely did the problem manifest itself. So I never did anything about it save for placing the mic right up against my chin.

the worst was a ratty old 150 I learned in that the window didn't seal and it blew RIGHT on the mic.

I'm glad to hear it's not just my mic that's defective but everyone's.
I'll try the cheap fix and get the oregon aero sock, if that doesn't help well I'll get a mic upgrade and if it's not liveable then I'll look at a new headset but I'm pretty cheap AND stubborn :D

Did the advent of new technology break my headset?

I have H10-30 for about 6 years now, still working perfect, no need for bose or something. :)

Back