Any Takers on a LONG Cross Country Trip?

EDUC8-or

I'm looking to take a cross country trip from Daytona-Phoenix during the second or third week in April. It will be in a Seneca or Aztec. Probably make one stop on the way there and then stay with my parents in AZ. They live on the west side of town. I would stay for 3-4 days with them, and one of those days I would want to fly to the Pacific to make it a true coast to coast trip.

So far I have one or two other people who are interested. My parents have plenty of room, so we would have free lodging once we get there. We can take 4-5 people, depending on how lightly we pack. Also, if you don't have your multi, the two definites have MEI's so you can log the time if you're willing to learn on the go. If anyone might be interested hit me up and I can give more details.

I might be interested. I'm looking to build time toward my commercial and transition to multi at the same time, so this looks like a dream come true to me.
smile.gif
If I can't stay with you guys the whole time, I could always fly home from PHX.

Lemme know when and I'll spring for dinner if I'm around.

If the timing works out, I'd be interested. I should be finished with my PPL by Early April. Keep me in mind.

I live in Phoenix and would be interested in going to the coast and back if there is room for that leg. Also let me know when you will be in town as I am on the west side and would like to get together. When are you thinking of doing this trip? Need any help when you get here let me know.

I looked at my work calendar and my Spring Break begins on Friday April 9th. I could leave Thursday afternoon or Friday morning. I would probably try to come back on Tuesday or Wednesday.

I crunched some numbers on Duats and the trip to PHX came out to be about 12 hours of flight time. I figure add 3 hours for fuel stops, so it would be around 15 hours just to AZ, and about 10 more if we make the trip to the Pacific and back. That would make a total of 40 hours. If 4 people go, it looks like it would be about 1500 bucks a piece for flying expenses.

I live in Phoenix and would spring a little money just to buzz over the phoenix area at plus 150 knots! I'm usually over Phoenix at plus 80 knots. (Super C-150!) Whoohoo!

I know I haven't posted anything about this in a while, but I thought I would give an update because the travel plans are being finalized.

We plan on leaving on Thursday April 8th around 3pm from DAB. It looks like we will fly to either Birmingham or make a push to somewhere around Austin, TX to spend the night. I would like to leave first thing Friday morning and make it to Phoenix by early afternoon. I will be parking the plane in either Glendale or Goodyear, which is west of Phoenix. I plan on meeting some friends that night in Scottsdale to go out on the town so if you live in the area and you'd like to meet us the more the merrier.

There is a small chance we might go to Vegas on Sunday and head back this way on Monday morning. I need to be back for an interview by Tuesday evening, but I haven't thought of plans for the return trip yet.

We might have room for 1 or 2 more, so if you're still interested let me know. We're taking a Seneca because I got an outstanding deal on the plane. If anyone else lives on the route and you know of cheap gas prices and tie down fees please let me know. I know gas is usually cheaper at smaller airports, so I'm a big fan of the road less taken.

I know Monroe,LA, Meridian MS, and Alexandria, LA have cheap gas. it was about 2 bucks a gallon last summer. check airnav.com to get the latest prices.

I would love to go, but dont have the cash. have a safe trip.

-brian

For fuel, you might want to try Cullman, AL for a much better price. Small airport, without as many facilities, but if you're looking for a quick gas turn (self service), that might be the one!!!

And we're off.... Well, almost.

We're leaving Thursday night. Our route will take us through Meridian, MS (thanks for the good gas suggestions), just north of Dallas, and through northern NM. We thought about going GPS direct from stop to stop, but that would take us over many restricted areas. Almost half of NM from north to south is restricted!

If anyone in the Phoenix area wants to get together this weekend, let me know. We hope to be there Friday afternoon. We will be out on the town on Friday night. I'm trying to borrow a friends digital camera so I can post pics of the trip. Either way I'll post an update from AZ.

I was going to go, but overtime at SWA dried up like the AZ desert.
frown.gif
Have fun! I actually have friends in Meridian. I might stop there when I take the 172 up to Memphis, TN.

[ QUOTE ]
Sounds like a fun trip! Fly safe. Who is all going with?

[/ QUOTE ]

Just some friends from the area.

[ QUOTE ]
frown.gif
Have fun! I actually have friends in Meridian. I might stop there when I take the 172 up to Memphis, TN.

[/ QUOTE ]

When are you going up to Memphis? I might have the time to take the short trip down from St. Louis for some BBQ.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
frown.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

When are you going up to Memphis? I might have the time to take the short trip down from St. Louis for some BBQ.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, say the word!!! I could fly over from Nashville, and you could pick up R2F on the way....see, our own little regional fly-in!!!
smile.gif

Back