Any Takers on a LONG Cross Country Trip?

When are you going up to Memphis? I might have the time to take the short trip down from St. Louis for some BBQ.

[/ QUOTE ]

You are heading in the wrong direction for BBQ. As a Missourian, you should know that KC has the best BBQ!!!!!!!
grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
I was going to go, but overtime at SWA dried up like the AZ desert. Have fun! I actually have friends in Meridian. I might stop there when I take the 172 up to Memphis, TN.

[/ QUOTE ]

Let me know when you head up to TN. Is it for your long commerical solo XC? If you can carry a PAX I'd be interested in going.

And come on now everyone. We all know that Lexington, NC has the best BBQ around!
laugh.gif

Gonna fly up and see the parents. It's a time building thing, so it won't be (officially) for my commerical x-country. Not sure when other than "sometime this summer." I'll more than likely bring some stuff with me to cut down on boxes I have to move later on this year. I'll keep everyone updated, and I might kidnap R2F from Tampa if he's up to it. Oh, and Rendevous Ribs is where the BBQ is at.
smile.gif

Gonna be doing any more trips in the twin?
I' ve got a checkout in a Seminole locally in Daytona,
but the Seneca sounds alot nicer. Trips or just local flying sounds interesting.

Senecas are a riot to fly.

BUT, if you have your student do a VMC demo, check your critical altitude because if you hit VMC and stall simultaenously, that puppy'll spin on you quicker than nuttin!
smile.gif

I know, believe me.

[ QUOTE ]
You are heading in the wrong direction for BBQ. As a Missourian, you should know that KC has the best BBQ!!!!!!!
grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

But you should also know that Missourians aren't Cubs fans.

[ QUOTE ]
Senecas are a riot to fly.

BUT, if you have your student do a VMC demo, check your critical altitude because if you hit VMC and stall simultaenously, that puppy'll spin on you quicker than nuttin!

I know, believe me.

[/ QUOTE ]

And once it spins that bad boy sure screams towards the earth. Nothing like being upside down pointed towards the earth and your student goes "WHOA!" and lets go of the controls. It wakes you up in a hurry!

Another great thing about flying a Seneca is you don't have to hit the weightroom as much. If there's no one in back it takes some gruntin' to get it to flare.

I did my multi in a Cessna 310.
Its a fun and challenging airplane to fly,
know all about watching out for Vmc, especially for the

[ QUOTE ]
and I might kidnap R2F from Tampa if he's up to it.

[/ QUOTE ]
Just let me know and I'll take some personal time, bro! What'll we be flying?

Right now (since I only have a single rating) it would be the mighty 172SP. Although with leather seats, autopilot, and GPS it wouldn't suck TOO badly. And since it's also a time building thing, I don't want to get there TOO quickly.
smile.gif

Well we made it to Phoenix. All I can say is the first half of the trip was BRUTAL! I started to catch a cold earlier in the week and now it's full blown due to lack of sleep and talking for hours on the radios, anyways here's what the first part of the trip looked like:

Started out Thursday night in Daytona and went to Meridian, MS. Had a whopping 100kt groundspeed for a good part of the way. The folks at Key Field ATC were very friendly and Key Bros FBO was very neat. It was an older facility with lots of character. Outside of the strong headwinds, it was a very uneventful leg.

From Meridian we went to Gainesville, TX. Another fairly uneventful leg and they have 2 crew cars you can just sign out on your own. (It was after hours). We got lost in Gainesville and drove around for 45 minutes looking for somewhere to eat. Ended up finding an IHOP and Days Inn to crash for the night. By the way, I don't reccomend onion rings at 3:00 in the morning.

We left this morning from Gainesville and had another fairly uneventful leg to Las Vegas, NM. Saw some snow on the peaks of the mountains and even had some sandwiches delivered to the airport while we waited for fuel. (It took an hour!)

We left Las Vegas after listening to ASOS and discovering the density altitude was 8200'. Yikes! It sure took a while to get to rotation speed, but we used some flaps and the longest runway so we could stop with any indication of an engine failure. We briefed the takeoff that even if we had an engine failure after TO and we had to land back on the runway and skid off the end, it's better than smashing into the side of a mountain. An interesting start to an interesting leg. We started off IFR, but we were getting tossed around in the clouds. ATC wouldn't give us lower, so we caught a break and cancelled IFR and went VFR. There were some nasty storms we had to dodge, and everyone on freq was asking for a deviation to miss storms. ATC lost our radar contact so we had to give position reports. (Hats off to ABQ center, those guys were very helpful today!) Then we lost radio contact, so they used other aircraft to speak with us. All this time they never cancelled our VFR flight following, how cool was that? Anyways, after we cleared NM and came into AZ the WX improved and we landed at Phoenix Goodyear this afternoon.

We put about 15 hours on the hobbs. I'm super tired and hope to get some rest before doing it all again in a few days.

Back