Any spanish speaking pilots ........

jetman

Are there any spanish speaking pilots in this forum ?
I need help with some practical spanish ATC and aviation terminology. gracias ///// :
cool.gif

jetman

Bueno, yo hablo espanol. I don't know if I can you help you out with aviation terminology but I am fluent otherwise.

[ QUOTE ]
Bueno, yo hablo espanol. I don't know if I can you help you out with aviation terminology but I am fluent otherwise.

[/ QUOTE ]

What I love are all the subtle differences between the spanish between different countries.....so much so, that one spanish speaker can confuse another.

Examples:

A bus. In Mexico, a bus would be an autobus....in the Dominican Republic, the same bus is known as a guagua.

In Cuba, when some addresses you....."Miguel!", you'd answer "what" with "que?" However, in Mexico, if speaking to an elder addressing you, "que?" is considered disrespectful, and you're supposed to answer with "mande?", or literally, "command me".

Or the best is bastardized "border spanish". I know a pick-up truck to be an "cambioneta", with an 18-wheeler being an "cambion". In Nogales, it's simply "el troka".

Then there's speaking spanish to someone from spain......you're almost spoken back to with contempt. Akin to speaking english to a British person that speaks the language extremly proper.

Like the word "mariposa"... I've heard in standard spanish, it means "butterfly" but in the "Border Spanish" it means something like "Person who watches 'Wil and Grace', just for 'Wil'".

so - your saying, if I go to spain and speak the spanish i've learned here (minimally), then i might be telling someone off over there?

haha - that'd be funny... not!

does anyone know why there are all different styles of the same langauge??? makes me think that If i take a trip over to Spain that i might as well start all over with the spanish language...
confused.gif

even thought the standard spanish language is castellano in south america, some words have different meaning , accent and pronunciation, depends on the country, ask me some question maybe i could help you , i used to live is south america couple of years...

I'll tell you the biggest word to watch out for "HUEVOS." In Spain, that simply means eggs. In Mexico, however, huevos refers to a man's two you know, so if you say Huevos in a grocery store in Mexico you will get some strange looks, and if you say that to another hombre in Mexico, you may have just started a fight!

Hola todos,about the "mariposa"hey Doug how do you know about these things?
grin.gif

Had a list of words that i looked- up in the diccionary but im not sure if these are everyday words used in flying like:
go arond------" aproximacion frustrada",so how would i tell the tower im overshooting?
confused.gif
"Torre estoy frustrado por mi aproximacion?
grin.gif
i dont think so............
How about words like readback,vectors,towering cu?i have a lot more Qs but it is enough for now if someone knows from practical experience like from flying in Latin America it will be apreciated :cool
Saludos jetman

Just adventures with a friend from Argentina who spoke a different spanish than they speak in Mexico.

We got pulled over in Punta Penasco late one night and we thought, "Great! Marcos knows Spanish so we oughta be alright."

Well, he starts aruging with the federales in spanish because he didn't understand some of the local dialect and I thought, "Great, now I'm going to jail. But that tap water I drank earlier is coming back to haunt me so I hope my cell has a toilet."

That, plus a lot of screaming "mucho borracho!" and "donde esta los banos!" during a post-wedding party for some of my friends in Santa Barbara earlier this year. Whew! headache for days after that one.

Good thing to have a friend like Marcos im sure he knows all about the different meanning of the same word in different countries like ........................the people from Spain asking for directions as to where to take the bus in Buenos Aires:
"Donde puedo COGER
ooo.gif
el autobus"..[where can i CATCH the bus?] ...........well you just DONT say that word in some countries or you will get a really smart answer :
blush.gif

Once upon a time a "gringo" moved to S America and in a matter of a few hours he learned to speak fluent Spanish.When asked about his secret he confessed he had a great memory and very proud he touched his head and said"i keep everithing new that i learn in my CULO'
grin.gif

regards jetman

Tnx Rodelu but im looking for the terminology used in the "real world" not the dictionary's,please check my posting[#8] on this thread following mavms1.
saludos jetman

Probably only for PA annoucements when flying to a Spanish speaking country - or into Southern California.

Back