Any SA226/Merlin III operators?

Why not an MU2? Seriously - they seem to be great.

We will probably get there eventually, but what we are looking at right now is the -226. But, the airplane HAS to charter as well. So, it has to be an airframe that people won't be afraid of.

The SA-226 is not the airframe for you then.

Exactly how is a Merlin "scary"?

People, in general, have become afraid of anything airplane related. Yesterday, awaiting the rest of the group to arrive, the wife of one of our passengers asked about a "beeping noise in the cockpit", and I had to think about what she was talking about... In the Merlin, when you activate the trim tab, it beeps. She asked, "What was that beeping noise? I kept hearing it, and I thought maybe there was something wrong with the plane." I had to explain to her that the trim is sorta like her setting the cruise control in her car, and when she pressed a button to make the car speed up, or down, it beeps.

I'm happy to report all pax had warm fuzzies. :D

People, in general, have become afraid of anything airplane related. Yesterday, awaiting the rest of the group to arrive, the wife of one of our passengers asked about a "beeping noise in the cockpit", and I had to think about what she was talking about... In the Merlin, when you activate the trim tab, it beeps. She asked, "What was that beeping noise? I kept hearing it, and I thought maybe there was something wrong with the plane." I had to explain to her that the trim is sorta like her setting the cruise control in her car, and when she pressed a button to make the car speed up, or down, it beeps.

I'm happy to report all pax had warm fuzzies. :D
I hold a Metro type... so I know how a trim sonalert works. :)

Maintenance costs for these airplanes are high. Theres a reason only freight outfits run these now. Parts availability is slim, again, most of those freight outfits have bought and stripped down old airframes to use. In honesty, there are better designed airplanes, such as a King Air, that will do the job just as well and not have the same amount of issues you'll see in a Metro/Merlin out on a trip.

I hold a Metro type... so I know how a trim sonalert works. :)

Maintenance costs for these airplanes are high. Theres a reason only freight outfits run these now. Parts availability is slim, again, most of those freight outfits have bought and stripped down old airframes to use. In honesty, there are better designed airplanes, such as a King Air, that will do the job just as well and not have the same amount of issues you'll see in a Metro/Merlin out on a trip.

I addressed the parts availability above. You make a great point... Why do freight outfits operate Metros/Merlins instead of KA's?

I told the sonalert story just to convey a point, it wasn't meant as a dig. I'm still curious to know how that airframe is "scary", as you alluded to.

When the nose wheel steering breaks (and it will) you will understand. Especially if it occurs right after landing.

The Metro/Merlin series of airframes are extremely stupidly built in a lot of ways. Nose wheel steering in the Metro is a huge issue when it breaks. All of a sudden you are restricted to 10 knots x-wind (for good reason). If nose wheel steering breaks on a King Air, its not an issue. Also chronic problems within the metro systems can have a mechanic hunting down gremlins for a long long time. Fuel leaks are always occurring because of the wet wing. They are normal for a Metro, but eventually need to be taken care of. I have seen metros down all the time for hydraulic issues. Once the hydraulic system goes out you are going no where fast. BTW, the hydraulics always seem to go out away from base.

The metro is just not a good machine in an environment where mechanics wont be constantly working on them. Especially if the mechanics don't know the aircraft.

If the flight department is big enough and hires mechanics familiar with the metro they can get away with owning one. Otherwise a King Air/ Conquest would be better.

Why do freight outfits operate Metros/Merlins instead of KA's?

The SA-227 version can carry a lot more than a King Air. Volume, weight, and speed can make or break a cargo company when bidding on contracts. SA-227s are also cheap to buy at this point. King Airs are expensive. Freight outfits are getting BE-1900Cs these days as well.

When the nose wheel steering breaks (and it will) you will understand. Especially if it occurs right after landing.

The Metro/Merlin series of airframes are extremely stupidly built in a lot of ways. Nose wheel steering in the Metro is a huge issue when it breaks. All of a sudden you are restricted to 10 knots x-wind (for good reason). If nose wheel steering breaks on a King Air, its not an issue. Also chronic problems within the metro systems can have a mechanic hunting down gremlins for a long long time. Fuel leaks are always occurring because of the wet wing. They are normal for a Metro, but eventually need to be taken care of. I have seen metros down all the time for hydraulic issues. Once the hydraulic system goes out you are going no where fast. BTW, the hydraulics always seem to go out away from base.

The metro is just not a good machine in an environment where mechanics wont be constantly working on them. Especially if the mechanics don't know the aircraft.

If the flight department is big enough and hires mechanics familiar with the metro they can get away with owning one. Otherwise a King Air/ Conquest would be better.

The SA-227 version can carry a lot more than a King Air. Volume, weight, and speed can make or break a cargo company when bidding on contracts. SA-227s are also cheap to buy at this point. King Airs are expensive. Freight outfits are getting BE-1900Cs these days as well.

The ten knot x-wind limit is a company limitation, not an aircraft limitation... I have test flown SA226's after coming out of refurb, and a clean merlin well taken care of that fly's less than 300 hours a year and is pampered with parts prior to things breaking are a completely different story than a worn out airframe that is in the air every day and not taken proper care of...

With a knowledgeable mechanic, proper care that addresses issues prior to them breaking the SA226/SA227 series is a great corporate aircraft.. From a pax perspective, the only downfall over a kingair 200/300 is that the size of the cabin is not as big..

The ten knot x-wind limit is a company limitation, not an aircraft limitation... I have test flown SA226's after coming out of refurb, and a clean merlin well taken care of that fly's less than 300 hours a year and is pampered with parts prior to things breaking are a completely different story than a worn out airframe that is in the air every day and not taken proper care of...

With a knowledgeable mechanic, proper care that addresses issues prior to them breaking the SA226/SA227 series is a great corporate aircraft.. From a pax perspective, the only downfall over a kingair 200/300 is that the size of the cabin is not as big..
he is saying they want to charter it though. I don't know how much your charter flies but our charter planes are out flying everyday just about. So they need to be able to handle that

The ten knot x-wind limit is a company limitation, not an aircraft limitation.

Thought I read that in the AFM. Oh well. Still gets really squirrely with no nose-wheel steering and a good x-wind.

a clean merlin well taken care of that fly's less than 300 hours a year and is pampered with parts prior to things breaking are a completely different story than a worn out airframe that is in the air every day and not taken proper care of...

Pretty much what I said for maint. You need someone that knows the aircraft. But how many maint shops know the aircraft these days?

Yes. that would be an excellent Corporate aircraft. Now I just need to find the one person willing to buy one.

he is saying they want to charter it though. I don't know how much your charter flies but our charter planes are out flying everyday just about. So they need to be able to handle that

We are not going to run some commuter airline under the guise of a 135 certificate. It is going to be an executive configuration. Seats for 6, with a healthy payload. There are plenty of -90's out there for cheap. But the ones that are cheap have a ton of hours on them. -200's are pricey, and it might be to much airplane for what we need for the price we'd pay. A Conquest is an option, but we would like a bigger cabin, so it charters more. I have seen how much that size/type of airplane charters. And it honestly wouldn't be worth the effort here in SoCal. They just aren't used much. So it's a very narrow "niche" we are trying to fill.

We are not going to run some commuter airline under the guise of a 135 certificate. It is going to be an executive configuration. Seats for 6, with a healthy payload. There are plenty of -90's out there for cheap. But the ones that are cheap have a ton of hours on them. -200's are pricey, and it might be to much airplane for what we need for the price we'd pay. A Conquest is an option, but we would like a bigger cabin, so it charters more. I have seen how much that size/type of airplane charters. And it honestly wouldn't be worth the effort here in SoCal. They just aren't used much. So it's a very narrow "niche" we are trying to fill.
Our charters arent a commuter under 135 guise. We fly executive charters in three king airs and a citation. Average load is 3 people or less. Our planes average 5 days out a week each. I don't know how you would make money in charter if your planes dont fly much

Our charters arent a commuter under 135 guise. We fly executive charters in three king airs and a citation. Average load is 3 people or less. Our planes average 5 days out a week each. I don't know how you would make money in charter if your planes dont fly much

I've been in a charter outfit where planes fly everyday, and none of them have had a -226. Which is why I'm asking about a -226, not a King Air. I know how much that will charter, but likening said, the -226 is a bit of a mystery.

I've been in a charter outfit where planes fly everyday, and none of them have had a -226. Which is why I'm asking about a -226, not a King Air. I know how much that will charter, but likening said, the -226 is a bit of a mystery.

Perhaps there's a reason it's a mystery and the King Air is not a mystery?

Confucious say, you are a female genitalia unless you go Lodestar.

Back