any one fly a Twin Star? what to do about Teilert

I would take the gas guzzling Lycomings that have a 30+ year track record over the product of some company I have never heard of that was hastily created near the end of 2007 specifically to rush a turbo diesel replacement for the Thielert to market.

Hands firmly down.

If you are going to put lycomings on it that are not turbo, then you might as well buy a 30 year old plane that cost's 1/2-1/4 of the cost of the twinstar. Yah new technology is unproven, but i'm sure Diamond is not starting from scratch, they are picking up were Theilert left off. Just my opinion. But hey I love new technology and maybe i'm a sucker for it.

I will admit thought that the Lycomings would bring the maintenance costs way down. Any time you have liquid cooled anything, there is going to be more maintenance. The Theilerts have a radiator, a fuel cooler, intercooler, and an oil cooler, lots of stuff to go wrong.

I really think this plane is a cool concept if you can afford it and if there is the support to back it. To be honest, $275 an hour is a steal for multi time if you ask me, especially in a 600,000+ dollar plane. Because it has not been recognized as a trainer yet buy the insurance companies, the insurance prices are low. You do need a MEI, 350TT, 50Multi, and 25 in type to rent it solo.

Oh well pray she holds together, i have my MEC ride tomorrow. Wish me luck :D.

-Matt

As a follow-up for the more experienced guys -

Does training in a Twinstar really do much good? I think FADEC is cool, but I would imagine that transitioning to a conventional light twin with mixtures, etc would take some work - not sure how much. If the airlines continued to hire directly from wet multi-commercial into a CRJ like a few months ago no problem...but things have changed and I am not sure there are any 135 jobs that are flying FADEC equiped piston twins. So, how much training is required to transition from a Twinstar to a real airplane?

I did my training in a twin star for 40+ hours. (CMEL, CSEL addon) I'm now flying in high performance piston twins and the trasition was a bit of a challenge to say the least. Although a little sim time, then over to the actual plane made it pretty easy. I would think that getting a job flying a FADEC CRJ (they are fadec... right? :banghead: ) would be somewhat easy of a transition in the sense that you have two control levers... but thats about it.

I will say that when I did my twin training in the da-42, it was certainly something that I enjoyed. The g1000 system was awesome and the plane is smooth to fly. Plus I think it sounds cool. However... as it has been pointed out, many 135 operators (if any) aren't using fadec piston twins to haul cargo... soooooo

Well i passed my MEC ride today :nana2:. Pretty easy, i already had my instrument multi private. All i had to do was take of on a flight plan, do stalls, slow flight, steep turns, an aborted landing, short feild take off and short feild landing. Now it's time to get my CFI binder togeather and work on my MEI ride. Unfortunatly my examiner i've had for the last 4 checkrides can't do my MEI ride. I have to do that with the FAA guy. Hey can do my CFI add on in a single. He also informed me that he could not do my CFI and single comercail in one checkride. They will have to be two different add ons. Oh well an extra 400 to the examiner. I think if i add up all the writtens i've taken plus all the checkrides it's easly over 2000 bucks. oh well

I think our FBO is gonna go with the Lycomings which are tried and true. After the Theilert debockle i think the owner wants to go the easy maitinance route.

To be honest, $275 an hour is a steal for multi time if you ask me, especially in a 600,000+ dollar plane.

If you ask me that is rape. A year ago, previous to Thielert tanking, Mx costs skyrocketing, and owners trying to recoup all the down time, the Twin Star rented for $150 an hour.

I really think this plane is a cool concept if you can afford it and if there is the support to back it. To be honest, $275 an hour is a steal for multi time if you ask me, especially in a 600,000+ dollar plane. Because it has not been recognized as a trainer yet buy the insurance companies, the insurance prices are low. You do need a MEI, 350TT, 50Multi, and 25 in type to rent it solo.-Matt

Should be some type of flag if the insurance companies don't recognize it as a trainer.

Does it have pressurization, AC, a crapper and a full galley for 275/hr? In 1998 a CHQ BAe3100 DOC was about 90/hr. $425,000 gets you: http://www.controller.com/listings/...735.htm?guid=1915F4C7520E4F909DC55D1252393785

It's even got 2600 hrs before #1's due for an overhaul....and, as Zap will attest, Freon air....Hoo yeah...

Back