Any Law Enforcement?

Yeah, DPS hires Pilots first and then sends them to the academy and Post Academy. All the helo guys are Officers, but they are starting to hire civilian fixed guys. They want 500 PIC multi/Comm/Inst. You start flying in King Airs right away.

Phoenix wants Officers first and then they train. They say that they have more success that way. They no longer train in the 269's. They start out there helicopter basic training in the Notar's........Phx says that it cuts a few months off of their training.

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah, DPS hires Pilots first and then sends them to the academy and Post Academy. All the helo guys are Officers, but they are starting to hire civilian fixed guys. They want 500 PIC multi/Comm/Inst. You start flying in King Airs right away.

[/ QUOTE ]

Fixed wing has retention problems at DPS due to no one liking the jackass LT in charge of the fixed-wing aviation side.

From graveyard to ASA.
It has been a while since this thread has been active so I thought I would add my two cents. This is my first post after being a jetcareers lurker for 4 or 5 years. Has jetcareers been around that long? After working the graveyard shift for four years, I took the aviation plunge. In Oct. of 2003 I left law enforcement and in just a couple of weeks I will start class at ASA. While law enforcement was a ton of fun, flying and instructing has been awesome. I started my training at delta connection academy and finished up and instructed at Falcon Aviation Academy. Needless to say the entire process is a large financial burden. I will not be making 1/3 of the money I was making as a sheriff's deputy for many, many years. If you are married I strongly suggest having a long discussion with your spouse about a career change. Anyways, the entire process is a lot of work and dedication is very key. I thoroughly enjoyed my training at Falcon Aviation Academy and having the opportunity to fly and teach in new aircraft was a huge plus. They treat there students and intstructors top notch. While I normally agree with and enjoy articles written by Wayne Phillips, you don't need to buy type ratings or pay for training in order to get to an airline job in under two years. I firmly believe that during airline interviews you will be respected more if you earned your flight time, versus paying for it. Whatever or wherever you chose to do your training please don't pay for your training it only hurts everyone and the entire industry. Beyond that just to add to the last couple of posts I spoke with a recruiter from Customs last month and it sounds like they are having a hiring freeze until 2006, due to integrating border patrol pilots and customs pilots together under homeland security. For those of you howling at the moon and dreaming about flying I wish you the best of luck. One more thing, a wise man in aviation once wrote about the importance of net working. I can't tell you how much that has helped my career and there are tons of pilots that I should thank. Many on jetcareers and they didn't even know it. So to finish up it is possible to go from working the road to an airline pilot in 21 mos.

It's great to read the last post. I have been an officer for eight years now and am wanting to get out. It's not the worst job you could have, and there are some things I will miss about it, but in the long run it's not what I want to do anymore. And every year it seems like the law makers handcuff us more and more so that we can't handcuff the people who really need it. That being said, if law enforcement is what you really want you have to have a passion for it, or it will eat you up. Education wise it's probably almost too easy to get into, but once your in, that's when the real training begins. Anyway it makes me feel good to see other former officer's successfully following their dreams. I have just recently got up the courage to begin to look into following mine. I have no doubt in my mind that I can do it. Just finding the money and route to getting it done is the first step. I am really glad to have all of the posts on JC to help inform me. I like to read this stuff, because I don't trust all of the glamour that is put on the flight school web sights.

I can relate to you guys that work the beat. Been in law enforcement for 6 years. And yeah, there are many aspects that I will miss, but many more that I won't.

shocked.gif
a lurker for 4 to 5 YEARS? are you kidding???? granted, JC's been operating longer than that but we've never had a lurker actually come out and admit to being a "long-long-time lurker"...geez, at least thank them by coming out to NetworkJC and introducing yourself then! you should know everyone that's there...hahaha
grin.gif

Back