Any Law Enforcement?

That's the same thing I've been hearing about the pay issued with the DPS guys. My cousin is a DPS officer. Says most of the guys get sick of the pay, while some don't care for having to be available for statewide assignment/re-assignment; would prefer more of the city PD lifestyle. Regards pay, you'd think that, logically, the state police agency would pay very well, but from what I remember him telling me, DPS sits at about #15 for AZ agencies, with PHX and SDL PD near the top...probably with Glendale/Chandler/Mesa equal or very close behind. Don't know about Tempe other than, being a landlocked town, there's seemingly not much growth in the department, and hence slower advancement, comparitively. My cousin is topped-out as an Officer 3, no desire to test for Sgt since it won't be much better pay, and he'll open himself up to being sent anywhere in the state (in any capacity) that a Sgt is needed. Would suck to be going from plainclothes in PHX to armory Sgt in Flagstaff, or something like that.

As for the valley agencies, the only ones I don't know much about are Gilbert, Peoria, Goodyear, Avondale, Apache Junction, and whoever patrols Buckeye. Any intel on them? I know that Peoria has expanded up to the Lake Pleasant area, but that's about the extent of my knowlege of their city and PD

Peoria will get better. They are having major growing pains right now. They do pay well though. They start in the low 40's and top at about 60 for Officers. That is base (not including Holiday, uniform, OT, etc.

Buckeye has their own PD. Acutally, Land mass wise, Buckeye is larger then Phx (scary). They have the potential to be bigger in population (in theory) over the next 40 years. Right now the major growth is in the west valley. I live in Surprise and what has happened here is just amazing. In just 5 years the population has about quadrupled. Let's hope they can keep up with the growth. I don't know too much about Apache Junction other than they had major internal probalems a little while back.

Imagine Phx being bigger than LA? That would bite hard.

[ QUOTE ]
I don't know too much about Apache Junction other than they had major internal probalems a little while back.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's still going on, with talk of replacing the chief. Speaking of internal problems, do you remember Peoria Fire Dept. little scandal last year?

Oh yeah.......... That was a deffinate PR killer. Unfortuately the Frat Boy mentality still stays with some of these guys long after college (like into their 40's). Unfortunate to say the least. They have alot of good people, but due to that, they didn't come out looking well.

juskl,

Is it possible to do "ride alongs" in the aviation units at any police departments? I've been interested in law enforcement aviation for a while. I've done countless ride alongs in a squad, but none in the air... seems like it would be a great way to see what goes on.

Szluka with the ride-a-long! All I think of is that scene from "Terminator: Two" when the T-2000 says, 'Have you seen this boy?'

LOL!

Honestly, if I wasn't flying, law enforcement would be my first stop for employment. I have this serious burning desire to work for a police department, but I know it would be a huge mistake to stop flying for a few years to deal on the streets. I hope I don't end up regretting it.

[ QUOTE ]
juskl,

Is it possible to do "ride alongs" in the aviation units at any police departments? I've been interested in law enforcement aviation for a while. I've done countless ride alongs in a squad, but none in the air... seems like it would be a great way to see what goes on.

[/ QUOTE ]

Would probably be a no for liability, if anything. But I could be wrong.

F.C. - IL has plenty of Departments that recruit reserves. Full authority, just volunteers... you might want to check it out. I know some pilots for the majors that do this...

J.

[ QUOTE ]
I'll have to check into that.

[/ QUOTE ]

Many AZ agencies do the same with "reserve" officers as fully POST-certified officers.

Not that you'd care about AZ police agency policies with you being in Chicago, Matt.
laugh.gif

I actually looked online last night and found one of the suburbs right near me hires part-time officers. Actually two suburbs do. The only problem is that the training cycle is over 2 years (1 year classroom twice a week, 1 year OJT). Which is just fine and dandy now with my base being Chicago, but should something happen that would require me to move, then that would mess things up. Hmm...

I also just found out that the department I used to work at is looking for officers. I saw it and immediately clicked on the application link, then thought to myself "what the hell am I doing???"
crazy.gif

[ QUOTE ]

I also just found out that the department I used to work at is looking for officers. I saw it and immediately clicked on the application link, then thought to myself "what the hell am I doing???"
crazy.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

A "Pavlov's Dogs" reaction?

Sorry for the delays on this, I have been a bit busy at work. You can only do ride-a-longs with the air units if you are an employee of that or at least another department and it has to be approved by the unit supervisors. And it is deffinately do to the liability issue.

Cop work is good. If you can do both, it would be ideal (at least for me). I (along with a cast of others from our department) are in the process of starting a fixed-wing unit now. We have a two year timeline on this. And there is a ton of work to do. A good site to look at is www.alea.org (it is the aviation law enforcement association web site). Good info on law enforcement aviation info.

As with all things law enforcement (especially the bigger agencies) you will have to compete with all the other officers that want to test for that position. With the Aviation Unit being up there with Tactical in appeal. Everyone wants to do it. Not that it is impossible, but it may take about 5-7 years to get on the unit as an observer, longer for a pilot position.

Good luck.

It seems that most departments only let you apply for their aviation units once you've served for a while. Any leads on those that let rated pilots apply to go directly to aviation, especially if they're fairly high-time?

[ QUOTE ]
It seems that most departments only let you apply for their aviation units once you've served for a while. Any leads on those that let rated pilots apply to go directly to aviation, especially if they're fairly high-time?

[/ QUOTE ]

You're right. Especially for liability reasons, many departments don't have civilian pilots with an officer observer like the old days.
They want all persons involved in any potential enforcement action to be fully POST (Police Officer Standards and Training) or equivelent certified for the particular state. Places like Phoenix PD, for example, you can be on the force for quite a while before an opening in the aviation unit comes up.

The average Officer getting into Phoenix's air unit has about ten plus years on the department. It then takes between two to three years to complete all the training and dues paying as an observer before getting kicked loose PIC in there helicopters. The average pilot there has over 18 years on the department. The senior guys are pushing 25-30 years on the department. Ironically, the situation is the same for the tactical unit.....go figure.

So it really doesn't help to have a couple thousand helo hours, since you get thrown in with the rest of the force anyway? I see the idea, but it seems to me they could attract a lot more experienced pilots if they could say, "Complete a 2-3 year probationary period as a beat cop, then you can be in the aviation unit."

[ QUOTE ]
So it really doesn't help to have a couple thousand helo hours, since you get thrown in with the rest of the force anyway? I see the idea, but it seems to me they could attract a lot more experienced pilots if they could say, "Complete a 2-3 year probationary period as a beat cop, then you can be in the aviation unit."

[/ QUOTE ]

As far as I know on the federal side, US Customs (ICE, or whatever the hell it is today) is the only agency that hires pilots to fly first, in addition to being a customs agent. Border Patrol (or whatever it is these days), you need to be a ground agent for a while.

AZ-wise, DPS hires pilots, they even have a separate paygrade for them, though all pilots are POST-officers as well.

I did look into ICE before I signed my life away for another 6 years in the Corps. FBI and DEA air units also require about 3 years general experience before you're eligible. Unfortunately all the federal agencies have age limits of 37 at entry, which I'll be past by the time I have to worry about it. Just trying to feel out places I can keep flying helos a few years down the road. EMS, tours, and petroleum are all okay, but don't really float my boat.

Back