Any Glider Pilots here

CK

I soloed a glider this june and kinda fell in love with it. The only reason I wanted to do it was because I'm only 14 and can't soloed powered yet and want to start my PIC colum for my first job
laugh.gif
. I really enjoined it and was wondering if there are any glider pilots here.

I've always wanted to do that but I dont know of anyone around the quad citys that do glider training.

Tom

We know you're 14...

Cool that you soloed!

Wow 48 posts in 2 days; gotta be some kinda record around here.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Remember AL, he came close. He had 34 posts from April 23rd at 4:12 PM to April 25th at 8:01 PM.

I think he owns the record for the number of posts in one thread alone, which I think was 32 (quick count so I could be wrong).

Now that was a wacky thread!

Wasn't Doug just complaining about how slow it gets around here sometimes?

I like this kid. Eagle's sarcasm didn't bother him at all, as it would most guys his age.

More power to ya, kid. I've always wanted to fly gliders but never got around to it. Get your CFI-G and you can teach me.

I agree. If I had thought of it when I was 14, I would have started in gliders. I've never been in one, but have been thinking about going and giving it a try sometime...

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Didn't have much esle to do. All the trips have been cancled this week because of some major thuderstorms.

[ QUOTE ]
Didn't have much esle to do. All the trips have been cancled this week because of some major thuderstorms.

[/ QUOTE ]
Ever think about - I dunno - GOING TO SCHOOL?!?!
wink.gif
laugh.gif

Hey - got a question - not busting your chops, just a question: I thought an individual had to be 16 to solo. You soloed at 14. How is that? (Or is it 16 to get the certificate? Don't have my FAR's handy and too lazy to look).

R2F

[
Ever think about - I dunno - GOING TO SCHOOL?!?!
wink.gif
laugh.gif

Hey - got a question - not busting your chops, just a question: I thought an individual had to be 16 to solo. You soloed at 14. How is that? (Or is it 16 to get the certificate? Don't have my FAR's handy and too lazy to look).

R2F

[/ QUOTE ]

It's summer, so there is no school and you can solo gliders at 14
smile.gif
, but you can't get a licesnce until your 16.
frown.gif

Cool. You've got it good (in more ways than you may realize). The kids here (in the Tampa/St. Pete area) have already gone back to school. Summers just aren't as long as they used to be.

Good luck with your flying! FLY SAFE!!
R2F

[ QUOTE ]
Cool. You've got it good (in more ways than you may realize). The kids here (in the Tampa/St. Pete area) have already gone back to school. Summers just aren't as long as they used to be.

Good luck with your flying! FLY SAFE!!
R2F

[/ QUOTE ]

That must suck. We go back Sept. 3.
frown.gif

[ QUOTE ]
I've always wanted to do that but I dont know of anyone around the quad citys that do glider training.

Tom

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah I had to drive 4 hours and get a hotel room until I soloed. It ended up costing like $2000's. I was up there for about 3 days luckley the weather was good.

Hey citationkid,

If your really desperate to solo a real airplane think about coming up north to Canada. I'm not exactly sure but i have heard that you only have to be 14. I don't know about the whole deal with american ratings in canada or that junk so
confused.gif
.......Just a thought if your really anxious to solo an airplane.

-Flycanuck

I meant to look into that thanks for reminding me. What is Canada's Aviation Administration, or is that it?

I was a glider student pilot when I was 15. I attended a glider camp in NM with the Civil Air Patrol and it was the most fun I have ever had at a camp. I believe the glider I soloed was a Schweizer 232 but it has been 6 years so my memory is a little faded. It had somewhere around a 32:1 glide ratio and it always seemed to find the thermals(not hard considering we flew in the desert!).

I was going to do it through CAP but I would have needed to go to Rome, GA which is like 650 miles from my house so it was a lot cheaper to just drive 4 hours and spend a couple nights at a little airport in Kutztown.

They started the program in Rome a year after I went to New Mexico but I don't regret going out there a bit. It was a great experience and we actually had a lot of down time there to study/socialize etc..the complete opposite of most other CAP summer programs.

Good job, "Kid"!

Tell us more about your solo:
Where did you fly?
Is this a club?
What did you fly?
How did you launch?
How many flights/hours did you have before solo?
Who was your instructor (Mom/Dad)?
Anything else?

Thanks for the info.

Back