Any Glider Pilots here

[ QUOTE ]
Good job, "Kid"!

Tell us more about your solo:
Where did you fly?
Is this a club?
What did you fly?
How did you launch?
How many flights/hours did you have before solo?
Who was your instructor (Mom/Dad)?
Anything else?

Thanks for the info.

[/ QUOTE ]

I spent three days at a little airport called Kutztown in PA by allentown. Wasn't a club just a flight school. I flew a Krosno KR-03(i think its polish). I was towed up by a 182 and had about 3 glider hours when I soloed, but plenty powered time. My instructor was a buddy of mine and is a pretty good glider pilot. I spent 3 nights up there with my dad and flew any time we could. My dad, sister and, brother went to some places like amusment parks while I flew, but were there when I soloed. I had to wait 3 hours because of wind and was nervouse as hell.

How far from the field do people go when they get towed up to say 3000'? If you're not doing a cross country, do you just circle around above the field until you're at pattern altitude to land?

[ QUOTE ]
How far from the field do people go when they get towed up to say 3000'? If you're not doing a cross country, do you just circle around above the field until you're at pattern altitude to land?

[/ QUOTE ]

The first couple of tows were up to 3000' to work on the basics of flying gliders. Then the rest were up to 1000' to work on my tows (the hardest part for me) and to make my landings better. We flew back to the field at 1500' and circled to 800' then flew the patteren.

"Kid"

How were you taught to "box the wake"? High tow and around, or high tow to low tow, then around. I've heard different theories on this maneuver? Is it clockwise or counterclockwise?

Bell47

[ QUOTE ]
"Kid"

How were you taught to "box the wake"? High tow and around, or high tow to low tow, then around. I've heard different theories on this maneuver? Is it clockwise or counterclockwise?

Bell47

[/ QUOTE ]

High tow to low tow then around clockwise. Going through that wake turbulences was wierd.

I am guessing "boxing the wake" is flying around the wake turbulence of the tow plane, but what is the point? why not stay in one spot?

Back