Any freight ops that have SIC?

b17

I am trying to build more cross country time, multi, night, etc. to get to ATP mins. I dont have 135 mins so thats out, and CFI is more or less all day VFR. So my question is, does anyone know of any freight companies that have SIC positions?

Just so you know, many flight schools (pilot mills) do a lot of night cross country flying, some dedicate entire graveyard shifts to instrument cross country lessons.

Just in case you dont land a SIC gig right away, may be something to think about to keep your options open, and career rolling.

Reactions: b17
I am trying to build more cross country time, multi, night, etc. to get to ATP mins. I dont have 135 mins so thats out, and CFI is more or less all day VFR. So my question is, does anyone know of any freight companies that have SIC positions?

Ameriflight is running a PA31 SIC program right now, where you get paid at least something to sit in the right seat. Look on their website.

Both Freight Runners and Air Cargo Carriers advertise for SIC's on climbto350 from time to time.

Cape Air hires SICs. They're passenger ops, so if there's a reason you're stuck on freight, it won't work, but they'll upgrade you as soon as you get ATP mins. And since you already meet 135 mins, they'll start you as a PIC, which means you'll probably be mostly doing SIC duties, but get slightly higher pay.

Cape Air hires SICs. They're passenger ops, so if there's a reason you're stuck on freight, it won't work, but they'll upgrade you as soon as you get ATP mins. And since you already meet 135 mins, they'll start you as a PIC, which means you'll probably be mostly doing SIC duties, but get slightly higher pay.

im not stuck on anything really, just trying to get into some real world flying instead of bumping around the pattern. Cape air seems pretty good too

I know Berry Aviation was looking for cargo FO's in San Marcos TX not too long ago. Its been a good company to work for so far.

Ameriflight is running a PA31 SIC program right now, where you get paid at least something to sit in the right seat. Look on their website.
How are they logging the time exactly? Not bashing, just curious since I'm around the TT they're looking for.

PA31 SIC.. I wonder how that would look to 121 hiring boards.. then again, it is multi time.

PA31 SIC.. I wonder how that would look to 121 hiring boards.. then again, it is multi time.
They don't care. It is actually common in 135 to see these time building programs to get people to 135 IFR mins. Cape Air and Airnet also do this.

The regionals needs pilots bad so they won't question too much on how that flight time got into a log book. Chances are that they likely won't even see it in your log book.

Ultimately the regionals look at your log to verify you have the required flight time and to verify your checkride performance. They don't comb through the thing unless something seems fishy.

The one purely good experience left in aviation...hauling the poop and scaring yourself to death...and they have to screw this up, too. Don't sign up to be a freaking 180 pound handicap.

The one purely good experience left in aviation...hauling the poop and scaring yourself to death...and they have to screw this up, too. Don't sign up to be a freaking 180 pound handicap.
To be fair, check 21 screwed it up pretty bad already.

Also, to the OP, if all you're doing at your flight school is day VFR pattern work you need to look into changing schools.

Yes Ameriflight is currently hiring PA-31 FOs at a lower minimum - it's with the intention of making them PA-31 captains upon reaching the IFR PIC mins mark, with most likely a quick BE-99 upgrade thereafter. The idea is also that the PA-31 FOs will have the ability to operate single pilot under 135 VFR mins in areas like PHX.

They also still have the EMB-120 FO program which I believe requires mins of 750TT: doesn't seem like a bad way to gain some hours/dual crew experience after instructing.

They also still have the EMB-120 FO program which I believe requires mins of 750TT: doesn't seem like a bad way to gain some hours/dual crew experience after instructing.

You can get hired at 500tt in the bro. The problem is that you paid with hollow peanuts.

Back