Any Boston Area Pilots Want to Buy This in Partnership

I have a lot of confidence in a well made, well maintained two-stroke that is operated correctly. I had a lot of confidence in my Rotax 447 but had little confidence in my 2SI (Cuyuna) 460.
Ya, but the maintenance required to keep a smoker reliable is insane. At least in my experience. You need to do the top end once a year if not more often. Then you get the gearbox to go with it.

Ya, but the maintenance required to keep a smoker reliable is insane. At least in my experience. You need to do the top end once a year if not more often. Then you get the gearbox to go with it.
The Rotax maintenance schedule will keep you busy. When I was flying in the hills of Appalachia, I was meticulous with my Rotax maintenance. When I moved out west and was flying in the desert where I wasn't worried about losing the engine, I backed off the maintenance. I wasn't really punished for my neglect. I think many UL guys just don't understand 2-stroke engines and pay the price. I had nice EGT and CHT gauges, which I think is critical to reliable 2-stroke operation.

That said, my next project will have a 1/2 VW. So, we are basically in agreement.

Last edited:
That was my only guess too... Was hoping someone else would say it first...
Probably imported in the '80s by Tiny Martin out of Vermont. That was quite an operation I've heard. :)

Back