Another Stay or Leave Thread

Should I

• Stick it out to 1500

Votes: 1 14.3%
  • Leave after a respectable amount of time (A year, or more)

Votes: 1 14.3%
  • Say heck it, and leave soon

Votes: 5 71.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

jweldon

“Member”
I usually detest these threads and I feel guilty asking for advice since I don't really contribute that much, but y'all probably could have slapped some sense into me if I asked earlier. So here it is, and to give back I'll buy the first round when I finally attend NJC. The biggest reason I don't want to leave is that I'm fresh out of college, and have never worked anwhere for more than six months. I'm terrified of a company I want to build my career at turning me down because I don't have a solid work history, or because I hop around jobs. On the flip side, I've flown 131 hours in the past 90 days, but only by working Monday-Friday many weeks. I am a FO for "the largest 135 cargo operator" and they're sending quite a few FO's to my base. I enjoy everyone I work with, but I only have a couple friends and I do not speak Spanish so it's hard to fit in. I was hired in April and released to the line in July, and the company has treated me well in addition to spending quite a lot on my training, so I'm also reticent to short them by leaving early. (I already hear ATN_Pilot saying "why do you guys care so much about management, when they don't care about you.")

I'm at around 700 hours, so thirty hours a month (after the new FO's get here) is a long ways to go to 1500. A friend offered me a job back home as a Citation Bravo SIC for more money, and more time off, but again only 50 hours a month. It would allow me to instruct on the side, though, which my current job and location do not. Or I could do something else entirely, or go instruct at a big mill. (again...)

Goal is major, definitely planning on regionals. I'm ok with sacrificing pay and to a lesser extent QOL for now. I instructed for a-t-p for four months, since I recieved half my ratings from them and the job was "guaranteed," but barely flew, was paid peanuts, and I and my students were treated like cattle. I left to help rebuild a school in Austin, and I really liked the owner, but I averaged 20 hours a month so I left after about two months. Left to my own devices, I have not made the best decisions.:(

Thanks for reading my essay.

Home
If I was in your shoes I'd take a look at this. you already have your degree done, build some time and if you get accepted into the United CPP you can skip the regionals altogether. worst case scenario you fly a ton and still end up at a regional at 1500hr.

Idk, it seems to me like bailing on what you're doing now for a nicer job which will also get you jet time doesn't seem like a big negative. These are time building experiences, not career destinations. I thought you were talking about a lateral move later on in the game, but pre-ATP it just doesn't seem like that big of a deal to me. Get the jet time, instruct to boost your hours, then go to a regional. That's my opinion, FWIW. Granted, you won't have much "quality" PIC time going this route, but if you stick it out at a regional until you get some I would think you'll be in good shape.

I'd say give them close to if not at least 6 months on the line and who knows what will open up for you where you're at in that time. That might get you to 1000 hours which will open up doors as will 135 mins. There are 135 passenger companies like Ultimate Air Shuttle you could get on with soon and as I understand that time with them will count towards the 1000 hours time to captain time that some regionals are desperate for.

Also you might want to get some PIC time. If you're not happy with the people you're flying with there are no guarantees that the people at your next outfit will be any better and in my opinion there's nothing like flying single pilot. There are decent time building gigs you could get on with now or soon, but if your goals to head straight to the regionals at 1500tt I wouldn't advise you bothering with them.

That citation gig might be well worth it too, but at least you have weekends off where you're at. I personally wouldn't jump ship just yet, but everyone makes their own decisions.

If your end goal is a major, the easiest way is through a regional.
Looks like you're a few hours shy of 1500/ATP. Have you thought about skydive ops or pipeline patrol? Build a ton of time quickly I hear.

Any regional will scoop you up once you get in range of an ATP. No one cares that sub 1000 hours you jumped around.

Also one more thing to think about with that citation gig is that it might not be that sure of a thing. I've had friends go work charter and have the plane sold out from underneath them or them have to scale back so that might be one more reason to hold out with the safer option where you're at for 1000tt or ifr 135 mins. Where you're at it might be a bit slow, but it's a known commodity. Like Nark mentioned with skydiving you might be able to fill in on weekends for a busy drop site.

Back