Another Spin on the Nav Light Issue

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seems to me, if you're flying during the day, the whole deactivate/placard thing is not necessary.

Prove me wrong?

91.205 says the aircraft must be equipped with position lights for night VFR and 91.209 says they only have to be operational between sunset and sunrise. 91.213(d) states that the equipment only need be marked inoperative if the equipment is required for the type of flight being conducted.

The functional part of 91.213(d) is "required for the type of flight". If you are flying under day VFR, the nav lights are not required and therefore don't have to be deactivated and placarded.

The functional part of 91.213(d) is "required for the type of flight". If you are flying under day VFR, the nav lights are not required and therefore don't have to be deactivated and placarded.

It doesn't say anything of the sort.

(a) Except as provided in paragraph (d) of this section, no person may take off an aircraft with inoperative instruments or equipment installed unless the following conditions are met:
(d) Except for operations conducted in accordance with paragraph (a) or (c) of this section, a person may takeoff an aircraft in operations conducted under this part with inoperative instruments and equipment without an approved Minimum Equipment List provided --
(1) The flight operation is conducted in a --
(i) Rotorcraft, nonturbine-powered airplane, glider, or lighter-than-air aircraft for which a master Minimum Equipment List has not been developed; or
(ii) Small rotorcraft, nonturbine-powered small airplane, glider, or lighter-than-air aircraft for which a Master Minimum Equipment List has been developed; and
(2) The inoperative instruments and equipment are not --
(i) Part of the VFR-day type certification instruments and equipment prescribed in the applicable airworthiness regulations under which the aircraft was type certificated;
(ii) Indicated as required on the aircraft's equipment list, or on the Kinds of Operations Equipment List for the kind of flight operation being conducted;
(iii) Required by §91.205 or any other rule of this part for the specific kind of flight operation being conducted; or
(iv) Required to be operational by an airworthiness directive; and
(3) The inoperative instruments and equipment are --
(i) Removed from the aircraft, the cockpit control placarded, and the maintenance recorded in accordance with §43.9 of this chapter; or
(ii) Deactivated and placarded "Inoperative." If deactivation of the inoperative instrument or equipment involves maintenance, it must be accomplished and recorded in accordance with part 43 of this chapter; and
(4) A determination is made by a pilot, who is certificated and appropriately rated under part 61 of this chapter, or by a person, who is certificated and appropriately rated to perform maintenance on the aircraft, that the inoperative instrument or equipment does not constitute a hazard to the aircraft.
An aircraft with inoperative instruments or equipment as provided in paragraph (d) of this section is considered to be in a properly altered condition acceptable to the Administrator.

That means if ANY piece of equipment is INOP, you must follow (d). It doesn't matter if it is a required instrument. If its broke, it needs to be placarded.

:banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

It amazes me how many people are willing to blatantly disregard regulations and then willing post that on a public forum.

:rotfl: Whaaa! Whaaa! Whaaa! Welcome to the world.

It amazes me how many people are willing to blatantly disregard regulations and then willing post that on a public forum.

I was always taught the FAR's were more like "guidelines" anyway

I'm not sure what the legality of changing the bulb yourself is, don't you have to make a note in the mx logbook if you do it yourself?

Yeah, you do. But it's perfectly within the realm of things a private or commercial pilot can do-no A&P needed.

Says who? The reg simply lists things you can do. And removing and replacing nav light bulbs is one of them. Whether the old bulb is burned out or not.

Code:
            /..\ /| |'-.
           .\_o/ || |   |   OMG
        _ /  `._ \|_|_.-'  
       | /  \__.`=._) (_
       |/ ._/  |"""""""""|  SOMEONE [B]BREAKING REGULATIONS[/B]
       |'.  `\ |         |   ON THE INTERNET?!?!??
       ;"""/ / |         |
        ) /_/| |.-------.|
       '  `-`' "         "

They are breaking regs in "REAL LIFE" and then posting that they broke a reg on a public forum. I just feel bad for the people you hit in a mid-air or the people in the airplane that die because you decided to bust a DH to get in. You are ignorant and macho...and that makes you dangerous:).

They are breaking regs in "REAL LIFE" and then posting that they broke a reg on a public forum. I just feel bad for the people you hit in a mid-air or the people in the airplane that die because you decided to bust a DH to get in. You are ignorant and macho...and that makes you dangerous:).

There's nothing scarier than a 500 hr flight instructor. No need to be arrogant about it, in another 1000TT you'll probably have a different opinion about many things, semper gumby. Lets see how often you RON after a 6hr day of flying, stop taking things so seriously.

what ever monkey boy. no is listening to you anyways. At least I'm not a scab...

That's enough kiddies. If it spills over to another thread we'll be going into Time Out mode.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back