Another question

E_Dawg

Alright dudes. I am almost done with the instrument, and after that I am kind of torn. On one hand I could fly a bunch over here (socal) and gain experience as I go. On the other I could save up for FSI and go there after I finish college. A friend of mine whom I respect is a Skywest pilot and suggested going to an academy. I know there are no yes or no answers, but maybe someone can help me understand what I can expect to pay to 'graduate' from FSI as a PPL with an IR. One thing I don't really want to do is pay for something I already have (i.e. redoing my instrument), so any advice and facts I can get are greatly appreciated.

If it helps, at this point I'm more interested in corporate than airline flying, though any job would be appealing!

Oh and the single reason why I'd choose FSI at this point is because of all the first hand reports of how students like it over there at VB. Good, bad... keep it up

I would call and get a quote for coming in with an IR. If you came in with the IR, you would not fly the Seminole as much accumulating less multi time but also spending a lot less. I know many students who came in with the IR and FSI basically put together a program for them. From what I have seen, expect to do it Part 61.

Also realize that you have already done what is the majority of the program here, so you would likely do multi add, commercial multi and single, then CFI if desired.

If I had to do it over, I would have flown a bunch of XC time before I came here, instead of the endless/pointless XCs that punctuate Step 2, the timebuilding/commercial maneuvers phase.

Ditto on PSCraig's opinion. It would be a custom plan and much,much cheaper than usual. We do our IR in the Seminole @ 255/hr. Take that away, things get cheap in a hurry.

Give marketing a ring...they'll hook you up with a pro forma and some literature. There is a nifty little school tour on CD...my dad hasn't been down here but wanted to see what the place looked like, so I sent him one.

If you get the chance to do the tour in person, it's an eye-opener...also usually a deal-closer when viewed in relation to the other schools around.

Chunk

Good information guys. Thanks, even though it was for Ed, it scores another point for Flightsafety in my book.

Here is another one for you. Would it be wise to get some multi time before attending FSA? What if I cam there with 50 PIC Cross Country time and no instrument rating, would I save a lot if money having that much time, or would it be best to get the instrument rating before going there?

I think you should definately save your IR for FSI. It's the most technical and difficult and the habits you pick up during your training will follow you the rest of your career. Not saying the training at the local FBO isn't quality, but if I had to pick one rating to do @ FSI, it'd be IR (well, after CFI....that's a big one here).

Another plus of doing your IR here is we do it in the Seminole, so you'll be building multi time. I wouldn't bother getting multi time elsewhere unless you have the extra dough burning a hole in your pocket. You'll get 55 hours of multi (at least) in your course here. Get your ME before coming here and you'll have to relearn our procedures and that's tough to do.

However, if you can get out of Step 2 (XC time building), that'll save you some $$ and not really affect your training all that much. Most of Step 2 is solo time.

Chunk

instead of the endless/pointless XCs that punctuate Step 2, the timebuilding/commercial maneuvers phase.

Step 2 is long but don't let it bring you down. I really liked Step 2, all that solo time. Once your done with it an IP will be breathing down your neck every flight. I try and get my students to pick new challenging airports/airspace every flight. There is lots of Class B,C, restricted airspace, hard to find uncontrolled fields, take your pick.

I think it's also important to get out of the airplane when you stop, go have lunch or see something. Don't just do a full stop taxi back or a quick top off. Aircraft avialibilty is not a problem you can keep it all day.

Back