Another One into Neighborhood 10/14

According to wikipedia (so who knows) the stock engine is basically a 1000hp R-1820 Russkie photocopy. Pretty sure they can get significantly more than that out of a 331 without much difficulty.
If it's not "difficult" it's probably not very fun either. There's a T-6 out there that's been a long term project for an Unlimited air racer with a 2800, think about that, a T-6 with a 2800. I love people that try to think outside the box. I knew a few people involved in this project...

IMS, the Cheyenne 400 had 1000 a side in, what, the mid 70s?
Yeah, those were “big block” 331s that were capable of like 1500 hp and flat rated down to 1000. The -12s (which are a “small block” engine) can do 1000 pretty easily, especially in something that’s never going to climb above 10k feet.

IMS, the Cheyenne 400 had 1000 a side in, what, the mid 70s?
Probably, didn't Yeager set the time to climb records in it? A 331 on the front of an AN-2 should be considered blasphemous, it's already ugly and now you want to make it obnoxiously loud? I don't pray, but I'll hope you correct your ways. You don't have to be so recalcitrant all of the time.

I disagree, how would you feel about an Allison 250 powered Staggerwing?

Bring it! They're just things. Beautiful, evocative things, maybe, but things nevertheless. It would be a shame if there wasn't at least one of everything out there flying (preferably, or in a museum failing that) in original condition, but if a thing can be improved, improve it!

Bring it! They're just things. Beautiful, evocative things, maybe, but things nevertheless. It would be a shame if there wasn't at least one of everything out there flying (preferably, or in a museum failing that) in original condition, but if a thing can be improved, improve it!
Would you own it?

Would you own it?
Hell no! I would have an MU-2 and an L-39 and I guess maybe if I were OBSCENELY rich a 7X and a Mig-29, although I think maybe those would be hard to justify even if I were as rich as Croesus/Bezos. But my er, what, "aesthetic judgements"(?) aren't the arbiters of what is right and proper. Big world, big tent, tent stays up and filled better when we don't spend too much time wagging our fingers.

Hell no! I would have an MU-2 and an L-39 and I guess maybe if I were OBSCENELY rich a 7X and a Mig-29, although I think maybe those would be hard to justify even if I were as rich as Croesus/Bezos. But my er, what, "aesthetic judgements"(?) aren't the arbiters of what is right and proper. Big world, big tent, tent stays up and filled better when we don't spend too much time wagging our fingers.
As long as you can pull some bleed air from that 331 to drive a train horn I’m all in.

As long as you can pull some bleed air from that 331 to drive a train horn I’m all in.
Weirdly coincident childhood (near as makes any difference, anyway) memory: My buddy Greg had a 1966 Grand Prix in high school. I suspect you know what that car is and how very much not anything even approaching being deserving of the appellation "Grand Prix" it was. But he had an "01" (a la Dukes of Hazard) decal on the side made from refrigerator magnets AND a million candle-power spotlight, AND a horn which would play "Dixie", AND a horn which would make extremely high volume steam-locomotive noises when he put it in reverse. Good times. The fridge-magnet numbers later were transported to my 1967 Bitchin Camaro, which, as you can see, was mostly just a cat playground. The "0" seems to have been lost, more's the pity.
BitchinCamaro.jpg

That dude is pedigreed. Just another reminder that the guy who pulls you from the burning wreckage might not know where the salad fork goes, so try to be nice to everyone.

He digs wells, wears a uniform properly, and marches to the sound of gunfire. I'm sure he has some good stories and can probably help me change the alternator on my car while we split a twelve pack.

He's gonna be my favorite guy at the barbecue.

I bet I could count on him to follow the checklist.

Back