Another Career Changer!

SMHarrell

Hey all you JC folks! Cross posting this for some more thoughts.

I have been out of flying for close to 15 years now... Doesn't seem real! Had about 160 hours TT Instrument Rated Private Pilot was working on Multi/Commercial at the time I hung it up. Got married, 2 kids, career in sales, running a store now... etc.. and all of the sudden I am 37!

I am wanting to get completely back in. Bought King's refresher course back in the summer, been studying, finally decided it's time. Here in my area we have one Club available and about 4 different Flight schools available. The club seems to be the best route? $300 to join, $75 a month and the rental rate is $45 and hour dry. Piper Warrior. Most flight schools range in the $75-100 hour rental fees dry. Trying to make every spare dollar I have work to get current, work on my commercial then multi to eventually make the career change. Any thoughts or pointers would be huge!

I am thinking about purchasing the Saitek Flight sim Yoke, Rudder pedals, and Throttle Quadrants. Any opinions on this? I thought it might help me shake off some of the rust before I get back in the plane. Wanted to see if its worth dumping $400 ish into this, or should I spend the $400 towards rental time.

I have read just about every thread on Career Changers I can, but always looking for fresh opinions.

Thanks again!

Is there a flight school with a Redbird simulator near you? I would do that first.
There is nothing like the real thing, but simulators are a great tool to use for practicing and memorizing procedures such as soft/short field TO/landings, engine failure, flying the pattern, slow flight in various configurations, loss of electrical/vacuum systems, commercial maneuvers, etc. Knowing the setups, procedures, and recoveries will greatly improve your confidence and speed up your proficiency in an airplane.
You could probably do it at home with the Saiteks stuff, but I would start with a good CFI if you're just getting started again because practice doesn't make perfect, but perfect practice does.

Last edited:
Is there a flight school with a Redbird simulator near you? I would do that first.
There is nothing like the real thing, but simulators are a great tool to use for practicing and memorizing procedures such as soft/short field TO/landings, engine failure, flying the pattern, slow flight in various configurations, loss of electrical/vacuum systems, commercial maneuvers, etc. Knowing the setups, procedures, and recoveries will greatly improve your confidence and speed up your proficiency in an airplane.
You could probably do it at home with the Saiteks stuff, but I would start with a good CFI if you're just getting started again because practice doesn't make perfect, but perfect practice does.

Excellent feedback, I appreciate the help! There is a redbird available at a local Flight School, and I did think about do that, $68/hour. I did go ahead and order in Saitek Throttle, Rudder pedals, Yoke and Xplane 11. I figure it would at least help me with getting my Instrument Currency and work on some processes and procedures when I can't fly.

Thanks again!

Exactly.
Simulators are basically just procedure trainers.
Knowing what to do and expect by training in a simulator can save a lot of time and money, but actual proficiency is developed in a real airplane.

That's kind of what I expect. I am mainly wanting to use it as a tool to help me get back in the swing of the procedures. especially with IR Currency. I have my medical scheduled for next week and start with a CFI the following week to get my currency back. I figured it might help re-familiarize myself with the procedures, the routines.

Back