Another 15 Qs for Colgan

First year FO at CAL still makes more than a first year PCL FO on the -900. It's that 6 months without health insurance that would be a killer for me.

That's not the only thing that'd be killer for you. Surviving reserve on the 737 is nothing short of a miracle. I heard time and time again that the regionals guys came from had better work rules than Continental.

I know the death star on the tail is attractive and all, but their contract is an absolute piece of ####. After living in a pad with 10 CAL guys for a year, it became real clear that I was getting crapped on a lot less than they were.

That's not the only thing that'd be killer for you. Surviving reserve on the 737 is nothing short of a miracle. I heard time and time again that the regionals guys came from had better work rules than Continental.

I know the death star on the tail is attractive and all, but their contract is an absolute piece of ####. After living in a pad with 10 CAL guys for a year, it became real clear that I was getting crapped on a lot less than they were.

There is a reason that more than 80% of the pilot group can be a Captain.......Nobody wants to be!

Pretty soon they will have to inverse assign CA slots to the junior guys in the new hire classes.

Not exactly sure how reserve at CAL could possibly be worse than PCL. I mean, it's pretty much second class citizenship with no ownage of your life as it is......

As Justin just said, 80% of the company has the seniority to hold 737 captain at Continental.

They're not upgrading to avoid the reserve system there. Upgrade on the 737 got down to 2 years during the hiring spree, and I don't think it's crept up that far since then.

As Justin just said, 80% of the company has the seniority to hold 737 captain at Continental.

They're not upgrading to avoid the reserve system there. Upgrade on the 737 got down to 2 years during the hiring spree, and I don't think it's crept up that far since then.

After the furloughs / displacements, no post 9/11 hires are captains any more, but it goes down reeeeeaaal close.

BTW it was a bit over 2 years to the AWARD, closer to 3 to be trained (and CA pay).

Really? I think I knew a guy that had 2 years and 2 months in when he hit OE in the left seat. I think he was also the last guy upgraded.

Don't reserves have moveable days off at CAL? I.E. Only a handful of your days off are actually hard days off?

John, keep in mind, you worked for a company that had one of the better contracts out there. Not everybody's reserve life was as good as yours in the regional world.

(says me who is on reserve but currently on day 2 of 5 off)

John, keep in mind, you worked for a company that had one of the better contracts out there. Not everybody's reserve life was as good as yours in the regional world.

(says me who is on reserve but currently on day 2 of 5 off)

Right, but we're not comparing regionals to regionals; we're comparing regionals to legacy carriers and how the regional STILL beats out a few legacy carriers.

There's something really, really wrong with that.

Really? I think I knew a guy that had 2 years and 2 months in when he hit OE in the left seat. I think he was also the last guy upgraded.

Don't reserves have moveable days off at CAL? I.E. Only a handful of your days off are actually hard days off?

I was just going off what I remember. I might me wrong, but the one bid that had all the junior CAs really surprised a LOT of people, and I thought it went to two years at the time of the award......oh yeah I forgot about the new training bidding thing that is all jacked up. Who freaking knows what happened. 756 CA went relatively junior too. The old man is 40% in the system and 80% in base, and 60% of the list can be a EWR 756 CA. (in other words it took 1000 guys to fill the 80 most junior 756 CA spots). He is also within a couple hundred guys of being the EWR 777 plug.....granted he would be on reserve until he retired....but....

4 of your 12 days off are just suggestions on when you might not see an airplane. Of course right now there is very little flying done by reserves, but this past summer on the 737 was a different story.

Dude they were raping 737 reserve guys over the summer. Guys would hit 30 hours and then the next thing they know they're doing an Aruba turn as an IRO so they could fly over 30 hours, or they'd get their 24 hours in Mexico, or you name it. If they could figure out a way to screw those guys, they would.

Oh and the always popular dead head to Boston to do the return because you only had 45 minutes left in your month before you hit 100 hours JUST in time to screw your commute home. Or even better, when you've timed out for the month they won't release you. That's a good one.

Its a good thing all the 737 reserves got furloughed because otherwise all their reserves would have been timed out for the year.

doing more than 30 (or 32) in 7 is a good thing on the 756. 2 good Euro trips back to back makes for a nice work block for a commuter;)

Ok so back on topic....

So we now have the 15 firm orders set aside for CAL, and we have 15 firm orders that we are going to go searching for a home now? grand total being 45 by when? Any rumors on delivery dates for the other 15?

I hope USAIR picks them up, and bases 2 out of PIT and Colgan reopens the base there!!:nana2::nana2:

Hey dream big right??

Ok so back on topic....

So we now have the 15 firm orders set aside for CAL, and we have 15 firm orders that we are going to go searching for a home now? grand total being 45 by when? Any rumors on delivery dates for the other 15?

I hope USAIR picks them up, and bases 2 out of PIT and Colgan reopens the base there!!:nana2::nana2:

Hey dream big right??

Back to my point. I would hardly celebrate more extremely low paying regional jobs. We need more mainline jobs. Some people would rather move up to mainline before they are ready to retire. Management keeps shifting more flying to regionals. It doesn't help those looking for upward movement in this industry.

I wouldn't say that you would like to see them for Airways. The PDT guys would go insane.

A PDT guy did say to me "Isn't it interesting that a couple days after announcing a fleet reduction at PDT, Colgan is finalizing terms on Q's?"

Let's keep our effort on our membership drive, building a strong union and making Colgan a better place to work.

well, isn't that interesting? If Colgan starts fly 400 for airways, I would say there are dramatic attrition for PDT. ;)

Back to my point. I would hardly celebrate more extremely low paying regional jobs. We need more mainline jobs. Some people would rather move up to mainline before they are ready to retire. Management keeps shifting more flying to regionals. It doesn't help those looking for upward movement in this industry.

I understand what you are saying. I agree that we need more mainline jobs. I think it is obvious that all the majors are shifting routes to the regionals. It is a shame. Someday, I would love to be at a major, flying bigger airplanes, going to more cities, and have a MUCH better paycheck. However I do accept that I am a pilot, not management. So I don't make the decisions on where I fly to right now. At this stage in my life I am more concerned with getting out of debt, and paying of ridiculous student loans so someday my QOL will improve.

IF Airways decided to operate Q's in the northeast, and they opened a PIT base, I could be home based. That is really all I was saying. I heard it is unlikely, but it could happen and I don't see how anyone could blame me for wanting to be home more often.

As far as the PDT guys, yeah I agree it sucks that we have firm orders when they're being told they can't get a hold of Q's. I have a few friends that fly for PDT and I wish them the best in the future.

Dude they were raping 737 reserve guys over the summer. Guys would hit 30 hours and then the next thing they know they're doing an Aruba turn as an IRO so they could fly over 30 hours, or they'd get their 24 hours in Mexico, or you name it. If they could figure out a way to screw those guys, they would.

If PCL had international rest rules, you could bet your bottom dollar they'd do they same thing. As it is, they get creative on DHs to get around the 30/7 rule since a DH isn't flight time. If we didn't have one calendar day off in our contract, you can bet they'd be releasing guys for 24 hours in a hotel, too. 10 days off on RSV is not enough. For some reason I was fine with it as an FO. Now that I know better, it's gettin' old.

Honestly, I would buy the wole, "less mainline jobs" a whole lot more if we were carrying and decent sort of load factor. I think we are at like 60%. If a Q is only sitting at 60%, they damn sure are not going to run a 737 on that route.

Most of the feed that we do, even the off season MYR or CMH ( which we really don't do) is not HUB to HUB. EWR-PVD? Never going to see anything larger than a Q. Maybe if they would reduce the frequency of flights, and stop trying to run 6x a day to an outstation things would improve.

Whats the Over Under on how long CAL would last if they did ALL of their flying?

Ok so back on topic....

Hey dream big right??

If Colgan does eventually add more agreements with other airlines for the Q, I wonder if we'll see them painted in the CA America scheme.

I understand what you are saying. I agree that we need more mainline jobs. I think it is obvious that all the majors are shifting routes to the regionals. It is a shame. Someday, I would love to be at a major, flying bigger airplanes, going to more cities, and have a MUCH better paycheck. However I do accept that I am a pilot, not management. So I don't make the decisions on where I fly to right now. At this stage in my life I am more concerned with getting out of debt, and paying of ridiculous student loans so someday my QOL will improve.

IF Airways decided to operate Q's in the northeast, and they opened a PIT base, I could be home based. That is really all I was saying. I heard it is unlikely, but it could happen and I don't see how anyone could blame me for wanting to be home more often.

As far as the PDT guys, yeah I agree it sucks that we have firm orders when they're being told they can't get a hold of Q's. I have a few friends that fly for PDT and I wish them the best in the future.

Heah, PDT guys, too bad so sad but I got mine! You gotta think long term man. So what do you think of Republic guys who bid MKE or MCI to be at home while Midwest guys are getting to spend A LOT of time at home. Is that OK?

Back