Angry T-38 flight instructor and foreign student...

I expect a military person to be able to comply with instructions being yelled at them - I bet if you put MikeD in an plane and shouted at him he would be able to do as he was told with minimal complication - it is just part of the military in my book.

Lol ^^ did they just call a T-6 "the jet"? Nice....I have a friend that went through Vance that (while telling "One time at Vance Camp" stories) always accidentally calls it "the jet" too. Maybe it's just an AF thing :p

No, it's not an "AF" thing...it's a T-6 pilot thing.

Everyone I know makes fun of those guys for using that phrase to describe the T-6.

Of course, inevitably what follows is a ridiculous defensive diatribe about how a turboprop is a "jet" that just happens to drive a prop. Yeah, whatever.

No, it's not an "AF" thing...it's a T-6 pilot thing.

Everyone I know makes fun of those guys for using that phrase to describe the T-6.

Of course, inevitably what follows is a ridiculous defensive diatribe about how a turboprop is a "jet" that just happens to drive a prop. Yeah, whatever.

I was a T-6 guy, and you're right. It's not a jet, it's a plane. But I was so used to flying "jets" that I usually called it a jet, too, just out of habit.

The argument that it's a "jet" because it's a turboprop is bogus. Of course, I also slipped and called the "PCL" the throttle for almost a year... and now I sometimes slip and call the throttles in the tanker the "PCLs."

Lol ^^ did they just call a T-6 "the jet"? Nice....I have a friend that went through Vance that (while telling "One time at Vance Camp" stories) always accidentally calls it "the jet" too. Maybe it's just an AF thing :p

Standard lingo, maint folks in T-34's to E2/C2 call em jets. Just a term.

If you can call what that miserable excuse for an instructor pilot is doing is "training", then yes.

I don't think you can make that call about the IP from that video. Maybe this one flight didn't go so well but it's one snapshot only. I'm a military pilot and I've flown with different types of foreigners on training flights and it's a painful, not fun process at times.

If you can call what that miserable excuse for an instructor pilot is doing is "training", then yes.

What's happening in that video isn't training. Of course not. He's trying to get Stan to turn the damn heater off so they *can* do some training.

Of course, I also slipped and called the "PCL" the throttle for almost a year... and now I sometimes slip and call the throttles in the tanker the "PCLs."

Oooh, that terminology thing is a pain in the arse. I've done the same thing three times now between the Eagle and the T-38 which, of course, have different names for everything from the data module you take to the airplane, to the displays in the cockpit, to the individual pieces of HUD symbology.

I've gone from Eagle to '38, back to Eagle, then back to '38. Owch. I can barely remember which term goes with which airplane.

That's an example of a not-so-great instructional input given the circumstances.

There are definitely times for different types of instruction, from asking a question ("what do you think we should do now?"), to prompting ("check the airspace border..."), to coaching ("pull a little harder so we don't get so close to the border"), to directing ("hard right for airspace"), to intervening ("I have the aircraft").

They're all valid, and none of them are fundamentally better than the other. You have to decide which one to use and when, and it all depends on the student, the phase of training, the conditions, the situation, etc.

In the case of handling a non-English speaker who is doing something the instructor can't physically intervene with, you are limited to everything before that.

I actually use "where are we going" a lot with one particular instrument student I have.

I expect a military person to be able to comply with instructions being yelled at them - I bet if you put MikeD in an plane and shouted at him he would be able to do as he was told with minimal complication - it is just part of the military in my book.

Im just trained to know what to listen for and what to filter out, so the stress of being yelled at doesn't really get to me. It's part of the rules of the game.

I've gone from Eagle to '38, back to Eagle, then back to '38. Owch. I can barely remember which term goes with which airplane.

Just remember "Throttle(s)- MAX"

Or for me, how to shut down an engine inflight due to failure to engage the throttle gate.

Back