An MD-80 Tribute. Enjoy!

At AA there is a sub-50 seniority guy on the MD still in DFW. I think he could hold anything including 777 CA. Pretty crazy.

Good riddance
Have you ever flown it? It's a good, solid airplane that made AA a bunch of $$. Try and find another airliner that if you lose all the electrics and hydraulics, you would have a fighting chance of getting back on the ground, and get back to me. I'll miss her when I'm forced over to the 737, or that french POS.

FYI fun fact the guy in this video is Kent Wien the grandson of Noel Wien of Wien Air Alaska .
I flew with Kent, right after he upgraded to Captain. He is good people. His brother Kurt, is a senior 737 Captain for us as well.

Why does AA call them super 80s? Are they different than other airlines?
Watch the MD promo video above. MD called it the "Super 80" before AA ever did.

Because they do everything better than anyone else. At least in their own minds.
superior pilots fly super 80s.
That shtick gets really old, really fast. Enjoy all the opportunities for wide body seats you now have, that would have not have been without the merger

At AA there is a sub-50 seniority guy on the MD still in DFW. I think he could hold anything including 777 CA. Pretty crazy.
The #1 seniority Captain on the '80 in DFW is #2 on the LAA list. I'd bet he will retire before he goes to school on another airplane. Not everyone cares about chasing a big airplane. I never care if I fly international again, in fact, I'd prefer not to, so IMHO, voting to eliminate the divisions was a really bad deal for us.

Try and find another airliner that if you lose all the electrics and hydraulics, you would have a fighting chance of getting back on the ground, and get back to me.

737-200, 727. What'd I win? ;)

That shtick gets really old, really fast. Enjoy all the opportunities for wide body seats you now have, that would have not have been without the merger

I'm just a lowly MD-88 driver, ours aren't "Suuuper!":(

DC9-80 entered service in 1980, as a stretched DC9-50, 14'3" longer, 25% larger wing area, and, of course, slightly more powerful engines. The Super MD-80 name came along in 1983 as, basically, a marketing ploy. If connected to the Douglas - McDonnell merger, it took a while. The merger happened in 1967.

Up through the MD-88, they all were certified by the FAA as DC-9-whatever-the-number.

Have you ever flown it? It's a good, solid airplane that made AA a bunch of $$. Try and find another airliner that if you lose all the electrics and hydraulics, you would have a fighting chance of getting back on the ground, and get back to me. I'll miss her when I'm forced over to the 737, or that french POS.
Have you ever flown that "French POS"? I'll miss the Airbus if I have to fly that American POS. :stir:

Back