An IFR LSA question

imatworkallday

Hi! Lets say I have an LSA that has all the required instruments for IFR flight but not necessarily the engine. Assuming that all the flights take place in VFR conditions, can a student legally log time under the hood?

Interesting. I was thinking about outfitting a Remos with an IFR package in an effort to reduce costs.

Edit: Well, after looking at the Remos site, it looks like they have already beaten me to that idea. :ooh:

Interesting. I was thinking about outfitting a Remos with an IFR package in an effort to reduce costs.

Edit: Well, after looking at the Remos site, it looks like they have already beaten me to that idea. :ooh:

Before the ATSM changed the LSA standards to not allow IMC operations, there were some Tecnam's built that are legal for IMC flying. Might look at that.

How I understand it is that Rotax makes five different engines and three have a "certified" engine variant (right word choice?). The Remos uses the 912 ULS which Rotax advertises as non-certified. They (Rotax) do offer the 912 S which is a certified engine. What the difference is I haven't even the foggiest of clues.

It could be a complete misinterpretation of something I read. I think what I may be confusing is non certified vs FAA certified in general. I think there are also manufacturer limitations that are involved as well. I really shouldn't read legaleze or slightly technical thing first thing in the morning. :confused:

It could be a complete misinterpretation of something I read. I think what I may be confusing is non certified vs FAA certified in general. I think there are also manufacturer limitations that are involved as well. I really shouldn't read legaleze or slightly technical thing first thing in the morning. :confused:
It is not an engine issue. It is that there is more to aircraft IFR certification than 91.205. For example, a DA20 Eclipse is much better equipped than many IFR aircraft but is not certified for IFR flight due to inadequate lightning protection.

On the original question, assuming you are not filing IFR (and there is a training exception even for that as already mentioned), hood time is hood time and there are no special certification requirements for that, not even the 91.205 IFR instruments.

How I understand it is that Rotax makes five different engines and three have a "certified" engine variant (right word choice?). The Remos uses the 912 ULS which Rotax advertises as non-certified. They (Rotax) do offer the 912 S which is a certified engine. What the difference is I haven't even the foggiest of clues.
How is an engine not certified for IFR though? I've never heard of that.

It's a paperwork and how much money you spend with Rotax issue. AFAIK, there is nothing different between them, other than the letters.

It is not an engine issue. It is that there is more to aircraft IFR certification than 91.205. For example, a DA20 Eclipse is much better equipped than many IFR aircraft but is not certified for IFR flight due to inadequate lightning protection.

On the original question, assuming you are not filing IFR (and there is a training exception even for that as already mentioned), hood time is hood time and there are no special certification requirements for that, not even the 91.205 IFR instruments.

Actually, with the 912, it is an engine issue.

Back