AmeriJet - Furlough?

3enginejock

Was talking to a couple AmeriJet guys in PAP today and heard news that they might lay off 30+ pilots. Something to do with a union trying to strike...

Can anyone confirm or deny?

Was talking to a couple AmeriJet guys in PAP today and heard news that they might lay off 30+ pilots. Something to do with a union trying to strike...

Can anyone confirm or deny?

I know a pilot who works there. He told me that there could be a strike by the end of August. I'm not sure how many pilots might be laid off.

Can they legally lay off the pilots that choose to strike?

Would that make any replacement pilots they hire scabs?

The Amerijet Furloughs is nothing more than rumors to scare off the pilots. Also, the strike will most likely happen on August 27 because the pilot group has voted on it. Now, only the Company can prevent it by coming back to the table on August 25 and 26. Amerijet has had 5 years to prevent it from coming down to this. Flying any Amerijet freight, Flying Amerijet airplanes, and/or training for Amerijet durng the strike will tag you as a "Scab". This a sure way to ruin your future in Aviation. Although no one wants it to come down to a strike, Amerijet and HIG (parent company) are the one to blame.

No furloughs. But strike is inevitable. Flying Amerijet freight, or airplanes will mean you crossed the picket line, and you will be a scab.

Alright, all you one-post wonders coming in here threatening scab-dom; cool it.

How am I to tell if its Amerijet freight?

I'm not really cool with crossing a picket line, but I was wondering the same thing. We pretty much go where the company tells us to if it's a charter. As a matter of fact, I don't even know who Amerijet serves.

Amerijet also used to do (probably still do) flying from ZeroG as well, which is pax charter. I think most of their business is freight down to south America.

Yep. I think it will be like the ABX freight-it will be divided among Fedex and Ups and no one will know whose flying what.

I'm not really cool with crossing a picket line, but I was wondering the same thing. We pretty much go where the company tells us to if it's a charter. As a matter of fact, I don't even know who Amerijet serves.

Not sure how your company operates. Usually you do carry documentation of the cargo on board (Cargo Manifest, Airway Bills, etc). Aslo, if all of the sudden you start going to new destinations, it should bring up some flags. As far as Amerijet destinations, they include: The Carribbean (Most Islands), Mexico (MEX/MID/CUN), Central America (BZE, SAL, SAP, GUA), South America (Venezuela:MAR/PRG/PMV/BLA/MIQ, Guyana:GEO), Haiti, Jamaica, Domenican Republic (SDQ/STI/POP), Trinidad. Another clue would be a noticable increase in freight, specially given the trend for the last 8 months. Also, if you start seeing Amerijet trucks show up at your facility to drop off freight.

Not sure how your company operates. Usually you do carry documentation of the cargo on board (Cargo Manifest, Airway Bills, etc). Aslo, if all of the sudden you start going to new destinations, it should bring up some flags. As far as Amerijet destinations, they include: The Carribbean (Most Islands), Mexico (MEX/MID/CUN), Central America (BZE, SAL, SAP, GUA), South America (Venezuela:MAR/PRG/PMV/BLA/MIQ, Guyana:GEO), Haiti, Jamaica, Domenican Republic (SDQ/STI/POP), Trinidad. Another clue would be a noticable increase in freight, specially given the trend for the last 8 months. Also, if you start seeing Amerijet trucks show up at your facility to drop off freight.

You do understand that the guys that will pick up that work will have absolutely no idea they are flying it. Besides they could put new documentation showing the replacement company and the pilots would know no difference.

Another clue would be a noticable increase in freight, specially given the trend for the last 8 months. Also, if you start seeing Amerijet trucks show up at your facility to drop off freight.

And what do you expect the pilot to do? Just say "I'm not going to take that portion of cargo because it's Amerijet?" Uhhh. I don't think that would happen.

Guess who flew all of Comair's passengers back in 2001? The answer isn't nobody and the passengers went back home and cancelled their plans.

Every other airline out there. The pilots never knew that some of the pax were rebooked from a comair flight. So by your logic just about anyone that was a 121 pilot that flew into a comair served airport in '01 is a scab.

You do understand that the guys that will pick up that work will have absolutely no idea they are flying it. Besides they could put new documentation showing the replacement company and the pilots would know no difference.

:yeahthat:

One of the only things that I can see would really be helping you guys out is refuse to be recruited,hired, and trained by your company to fly your equipment. They will not be able to sustain a profit by chartering their work out to companies like my employer, FedEx, UPS, or DHL. This is about as good as us fellow pilots can do for your pilot group.

When we were on strike (prior to my time here), the other crews checked the pallet tags.

There needs to be an airway bill, and should indicate AmeriJet, if I'm not mistaken, since they fly their own stuff, as far as I know.

I'd be more worried about the 74's in cockroach corner than KLB and Mike's metros though.

We're supporting you at PO.

There's been a noticeable uptick in DHL boxes going to and from the redneck riviera recently. I think I'll call my boss tomorrow and tell him I'm not flying because I suspect there might be struck work on board. :p

There's been a noticeable uptick in DHL boxes going to and from the redneck riviera recently. I think I'll call my boss tomorrow and tell him I'm not flying because I suspect there might be struck work on board. :p

Especially if this strike occurs around peak!:eek:

Back