Ameriflight

Sounds to me they like guys who are willing to move. Is it unreasonable to ask to work out of PHX only? I'm pretty happy down here and have a decent gig already, just wondering what's out there in the 135 world.

They have hired people into the Chieftain in PHX in the past. A friend of mine has just left there after about 6 months. Lot's of movement out of AMF atm.

Good to hear. Eventually I'd like to do Air Ambo down here in the Southwest. SPIFR seems like a good route to take. Thanks for the input.

Focus on getting as much flight time as possible. Many AMF flights are less than 2.0 a day. Assuming you need 3KTT for Air Ambo, 1800 more hours, 900 days, three and a half years at AMF! :eek2:

Push for the longest routes as much as you can!

Focus on getting as much flight time as possible. Many AMF flights are less than 2.0 a day. Assuming you need 3KTT for Air Ambo, 1800 more hours, 900 days, three and a half years at AMF! :eek2:

That is one of the reason's I turned down the second interview for a PA31 slot. When I go on rotation I am flying a 402 about 8 hours a day. Getting full per diem plus $180 salary/day makes it hard to step away from to fly 3 hours or less per day at $25k/yr. Now turbine time SPIFR would be a different story.

I'm venturing to guess that if you stayed for that long, you'd have flown the 99, metro/1900, and possibly sitting in the brazilia at that point. In a position to do whatever you want if you've met the right people along the way.

That is one of the reason's I turned down the second interview for a PA31 slot. When I go on rotation I am flying a 402 about 8 hours a day. Getting full per diem plus $180 salary/day makes it hard to step away from to fly 3 hours or less per day at $25k/yr. Now turbine time SPIFR would be a different story.

What company is this? Encore?

I'm venturing to guess that if you stayed for that long, you'd have flown the 99, metro/1900, and possibly sitting in the brazilia at that point. In a position to do whatever you want if you've met the right people along the way.

What company is this? Encore?

ASI

People keep approaching me at airports and asking me about AMF. My standard answer is that unless QOL to you means being home every night, AMF ain't exactly worth what you put into it. Plus, having a bunch of single pilot, steam gauge, 135 experience in your log book nowadays is like having a bunch of money in a currency that doesn't exist anymore. Sure, no one will doubt your stick and rudder skills or ADM, but I'm seeing a lot lines about "CRM experience" and glass cockpits.

And even if you want to sleep at home every night, you'll have trouble moving up the ranks quickly here unless you're willing to move.

I'd also add that flying to the same 5 or 6 (actually less for most runs) airports day in and day out does take some of the adventure out of flying. I realize that for some guys, it's a dream job. But I think for most pilots it's kind of a buzz-kill.

It's also worth pointing out that during my indoc class, one of the higher-ups in Burbank assured us that after flying here we "could get hired at any regional". WTF? The flying experience here has been good. Very gritty and uh, "real". But if I had taken the interview at Skywest (and been offered a job) I'd be making more money this year and flying equipment that has relevance to a wider variety of operations going into the future. Plus my family would have airline benefits.

Like I said, some people love it. I personally have trouble reconciling the pros and cons versus the regionals.

Does AMF offer any sort of relocation allowance if you choose to move elsewhere into bigger equipment? I would guess not, but am curious.

You guys would let me know if they start hiring directly into the 99s right? :)

I can't leave my pay now to go fly PA31s again even though I am currently in a twin cessna. Just too big of a pay drop to more of the same.

The pay is the same for both airplanes in your first year. You'll be flying the 99 anyway by year two.

Negative. They might if they want you to move, but otherwise you are on your own.
That is how the employee handbook describes it. That said, you can get a hotel paid by AMF when looking for a place to live.

FWIW, I went from a Chieftain to a 99 in 5-6 months because I was willing to move around. Result was I ended up in a pretty sweet base around Utah's capital city.

Mobility really drives upgrade (transition officially) times.

My $0.02

FWIW, I went from a Chieftain to a 99 in 5-6 months because I was willing to move around. Result was I ended up in a pretty sweet base around Utah's capital city.

Mobility really drives upgrade (transition officially) times.

My $0.02
I've seen as little as 2 months/direct hire if you're willing to live in some of the crappiest towns in the country.

I know right? Seniority plus right place at the right time can really make things play out in a funny way.

Back