Ameriflight PA-31 Accident - Arizona

Weather didn't look insane around the area last night. But it was stormy with rain/snow. I know there isn't much IFR to be had up there but there was some legitimate weather there over the last few days.

Weather didn't look insane around the area last night. But it was stormy with rain/snow. I know there isn't much IFR to be had up there but there was some legitimate weather there over the last few days.

Yeah, that's why I was surprised when I saw the location.

I found out last night almost on accident. Somebody had posted on FB about a CAP mission early this morning for a PA31 near PHX. For obvious reasons AMF was my first thought, then he confirmed it. Really sucks and hits close to home. I am really hoping for Christmas miracle but maybe JayAre''s comment about "not good news" indicates something we don't know :(

http://www.azcentral.com/news/articles/20121219arizona-missing-plane-search-continue-today-abrk.html

By Cassondra Strande and Grant Francis The Arizona Republic-12 News Breaking News Team Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:58 PM
Authorities on Wednesday found the wreckage of a small plane about 50 miles northeast of Phoenix after it went missing Tuesday evening.
Search crews found the wreckage near the 7,000-foot level in mountainous terrain, said Ian Gregor, a spokesman for the Federal Aviation Administration.
The aircraft, a Piper PA31 heading to Phoenix, went off radar and lost radio contact about 6:30 p.m. Tuesday while flying around 13,000 feet near the Matazal mountain, according to the FAA.
Crews resumed the search Wednesday morning after a storm system forced them to stop looking late Tuesday night.
Gila County Sheriff’s deputies were lowered to the crash site from a helicopter, Gregor said.
There was no information on how many people were aboard the aircraft

Back