Ameriflight hiring for First Officer program

Don't feel bad @Pilotlynn We are going to see the same thing over the next few years in aviation. These companies need to get on the ball with recruiting and think outside the box beyond what they have always done or they wont have enough pilots to stay in business.

I hear you. To be fair we must also remember that the recruiters take their marching orders from above. Some departments have the authority to make certain decisions and offers. Others are micromanaged severely and don't have any authority

VFR Only sounds like it can only be in certain locations. It would cost them a bit for training VFR only & then retraining for PIC IFR Checkrides & fuel costs as well as limited staffing costs to make things happen.

You will see only 50 -100hrs flight time VFR only Captain. Company will see a cost of at least $10,000 in expenses per person. The company is probably tightening its purse & expenses. Comes from top exec's. So recruiters are limited.

Last edited:
I hear you. To be fair we must also remember that the recruiters take their marching orders from above. Some departments have the authority to make certain decisions and offers. Others are micromanaged severely and don't have any authority

VFR Only sounds like it can only be in certain locations. It would cost them a bit for training VFR only & then retraining for PIC IFR Checkrides & fuel costs as well as limited staffing costs to make things happen.

You will see only 50 -100hrs flight time VFR only Captain. Company will see a cost of at least $10,000 in expenses per person. The company is probably tightening its purse & expenses. Comes from top exec's. So recruiters are limited.

No they train you the same way they would train a IFR pilot you just can't legally fly 135 IFR until you meet the hour requirements. I had a friend meet the Hour requirement in the middle of a flight and thankfully had to use it later that day on a leg. No retraining just one hour you can't fly IFR the next hour you can.

Then says maybe they can bring me on as a VFR capt. Says lets do a interview. Pass the interview and he says let me talk with management and he will call me back. Then I get a form email asking me to update my times and contact me when I have the mins. Guess I am going to take one of the other options.

As far as I know they only have VFR captains for the chieftains, and only in the Phoenix and Albuquerque bases. They may also have "to many" VFR captains and are waiting for some to become IFR captains before they hire more.

As far as I know they only have VFR captains for the chieftains, and only in the Phoenix and Albuquerque bases. They may also have "to many" VFR captains and are waiting for some to become IFR captains before they hire more.
It's not they have too many VFR guys (ABQ could use another...VFR or IFR qualified would be fine), it's that they have too few resources in the training/checking departments to deal with a high volume of Chieftain guys period right now.

It was his suggestion not mine. We were trying to figure a way to bring me on board.

It was his suggestion not mine. We were trying to figure a way to bring me on board.

If your willing, and haven't done so already, email and call them and make the suggestion that you are willing to move to ABQ or PHX for their VFR Capt, and be based their.

Hopefully things work out for you, your career keeps moving in the right direction again towards your goals. Timing is everything!

Heard a recruiter left office. Maybe you guys haven't heard back, as well as myself, because of this. Give them a call and it'll work itself out!

That most are being posted to PR and I dont recall the other location but not WA state which is what I need. The first contacted who calls back get priority and if you decline the assignment then you fall to the bottom of the list. The October class starts on the 10th and the training is 6 weeks long. November 14th is the next class I believe they said August is full and they only take a couple of pilots at a time

Anyway she was very helpful if you have questions give her a call. I dialed the main Dallas number then hit 2 for recruiting.

Just finished the phone interview which was about 1hr long. Started out with information I had on my resume, flight times in the last 90 days, 12 months, my last instrument flight etc. Then asked about my medical, and mentioned it needed to be a 2nd class or better (I'm exercising 3rd class privileges). Asked me about any time where I had to declare an emergency. Told him about some scenarios where I was under pressure, nothing really big. He asked me what I liked, and disliked about my current position (CFI). Then asked why I wanted to work at Ameriflight, and where I saw myself in 10 years. We went on to a few technical questions.
Tell me about the engine on one of the aircraft you fly?
How does a piston work?
How does a turbine engine work?
What are IFR alternate airport requirements?
What do red runway center-lines mean?
When can you descend below minimums?
What are you required to report when entering a hold?
Questions on MEL
If you are at 10,000, how far our do you need to descend to reach 1000ft?
If I'm departing from Dallas to the north, and there's a thunderstorm ahead, which direction to deviate around it?
If I get structural icing what do I do?
If my static port gets blocked, what instruments are affected?
How do the 4 forces act on a plane in S&L flt?
Part 135 Ops
Pretty straight forward, nothing tricky. He said the next step would be to schedule an in-person screening, do some background checks, and granted that works well I'll get a call for a class in June. Bases he said are determined by candidate response. First to respond (to phone calls) for classes get first dibs. Currently looking for Metro and Emb-120 FO's. May classes are full and there is a big need for 135 Captains.

Hi Avensa727,

Thank you for this great gouge, which I am using to study for my phone interview. I just need to clarify one thing, when it says questions on MEL, do you mean Minimum Equipment List, or Multi Engine Land (like aerodynamics or systems)?

Critical Engine

Hi Avensa727,

Thank you for this great gouge, which I am using to study for my phone interview. I just need to clarify one thing, when it says questions on MEL, do you mean Minimum Equipment List, or Multi Engine Land (like aerodynamics or systems)?

Critical Engine

Means Minimum Equipment List! Good luck! I used the same gauge and passed the interview. Heading to Dallas for Indoc starting this Monday! Excited.

Anyone have an idea where AMF is basing new hires on the BE99?
After speaking to a mutual friend , and another pilot I met overnighting last week, It seems AMF will have you float around for a bit. So they recommended you get it in writing where you want to be however that is unlikely so it comes down to the luck of the draw. My friend flew in Puerto Rico for a few months, and this other guy said he spend some time tropical as well. Just depends on the route they give you. That may not help or answer your question but it seems nothing is really definitive in that company.

Interview went well today. I should know something by the end of next week. The gouge written by Avensa727 was spot on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is there training contract for the FO position. I am exploring coming to work for Ameriflight once I am finished with school.

Back