American Airlines

flyallday

I heard on TV a few days ago that AA only has a few more months of money left and they might file CH 11

Anybody knows if this is true???

Maybe... Maybe not!
smile.gif

Seriously!

May is the crucial month. If they don't declare bankruptcy then, they may not declare bankruptcy at all.

Don't lose sight of the fact that American is hurting just as much as United was/is.

[ QUOTE ]
Don't lose sight of the fact that American is hurting just as much as United was/is.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have a question for you guys: When your CEO of the world largest airline that going in the tank...what do you do? You could do a Don Carty....you know bump 3 passengers off the flight so that you,the missus,and baby can go to PVR!. I guess the problem isn't that bad,seeing how the CEO can run off to Mexico!

"Someone's" personal assistant at an "undisclosed" airline ordered an jet that was taxiing out to the runway, back to the gate, bumped four passengers out of first class and boarded his children for a flight to DEN a few years ago.

Thankfully, that "someone" is now at pets.com or some other failed dot com.

Its not looking good for AA. A war with Iraq will be the nail in the coffin. I think that by May I will be out of a job. Managment at American is so ass backwards that its no surprise that we are going bankrupt. Our GM at BWI, Gwonda Washington, has cut off the cable TV in the break room, and cancled our bottled water service in a attempt to save money. I agree with this. We have started paying for our own cable, and we can learn to drink out of the rusty water fountain. This is the same manager that doesnt even live in Baltimore though!! She comes to work on Monday mornings from DFW, and stays at an all expenses paid hotel, with rental car, and spending money untill Friday night. That cost the company thousands of dollars every month!!! If AA files chpt 11 no one should be surprised, they have done it to themselves.

Hey Zombie-

I bet if you ask her about the ills of American, she'll probably say "Oh, labor's the problem".

I like AA I think they do a smashing job, infact I am sitting on a silver bird tomorrow. If they do file chap. 11 I will use all my airmiles up quickly!

[ QUOTE ]
I bet if you ask her about the ills of American, she'll probably say "Oh, labor's the problem".

[/ QUOTE ]

It's always the labor!
shocked.gif

Was talking to a guy who was in a similar setup with Intel (they paid to keep him in a hotel a week at a time, yadda, yadda) and at the end of the year the expense acount totaled something like $60,000. Now, how much bottled water would that buy? Hell it'd keep two flight attendants, or one pilot, or (insert employee here) employeed for one more year.

One day, after all the major corporations have been raped by their CEOs (and upper management), this country will wake the f*&(* up and realize we need some major reform to our business regulation/formation/theory. But you can scream till you're blue in the face and no one will do anything until the crisis hits their pocketbook.

Oh well ...

Just like the feds allowed USAir to end the retired pilots pension. So imagine your grandfather who worked for 35 years at USAir, on a fixed income suddenly having a lot less money to live on. Even though he worked for it.

The pension was kept in a seperate, pilot-funded account that the company was supposed to have no access to. Now the federal government said, "Sure, dig in guys" and I guess it's going to eventually end up fattening up the CEO's bonus for this year.

Scumbags.

[ QUOTE ]
The pension was kept in a seperate, pilot-funded account that the company was supposed to have no access to. Now the federal government said, "Sure, dig in guys" and I guess it's going to eventually end up fattening up the CEO's bonus for this year.

[/ QUOTE ]

The judge let them get the pensions? The last I heard they were trying for it but ALPA was fighting it and also recomendeding that the top three remaining execs (who retired, literally three days befrore CH11) return the 35 MILLION they were awarded in retirement compensation.

Pension funds are supposed to be hands off to management but the are ALAWAYS the first thing to get raided. When Ozark got eaten up by TWA Dad had three years (or five tops, can't remember) he took early retirement to help save his pension from being robbed.

This is why Unions are so important - without ALPA or the other unions management would have a field day with compensation and benefits.

[ QUOTE ]
She comes to work on Monday mornings from DFW, and stays at an all expenses paid hotel, with rental car, and spending money untill Friday night. That cost the company thousands of dollars every month!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Wait, the company actually pays for hotels and other expenses if you hapen to be based at a place you don't live?! Does she get to travel positive space on her commute as well? How come the pilots and FAs can't get in on this deal?

What is the status on their Fokker 100s they had, are they phased out yet? I have not seen them in a while.

This may be a stupid question given the forecast for American Airlines, but…

If they were to file bankruptcy to “reorganize”, would they get rid of non-rev privileges for family members?

My grandfather put in 30+ years and because of it we can all fly D3. We’re planning a trip to Antigua this summer and I wasn’t sure if it would be in jeopardy…

[ QUOTE ]
What is the status on their Fokker 100s they had, are they phased out yet? I have not seen them in a while.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've seen 'em coming and going still. I know an F-100 Capt, last I talked to him, they were still saying some time this year.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

They fly a couple in here each day.

O really, AA used to fly them into Austin, where I live, they had routes to ORD and DFW, I guess that the routes out grew the plane. Cool plane, but why is it so expensive to fly?

Well I just got off one of their planes, and can say it was another enjoyable flight, and more airmiles in the kitty!

[ QUOTE ]
This may be a stupid question given the forecast for American Airlines, but…

If they were to file bankruptcy to “reorganize”, would they get rid of non-rev privileges for family members?

My grandfather put in 30+ years and because of it we can all fly D3. We’re planning a trip to Antigua this summer and I wasn’t sure if it would be in jeopardy…

[/ QUOTE ]

Is anyone "in the know" regarding this subject?

[ QUOTE ]
Cool plane, but why is it so expensive to fly?

[/ QUOTE ]

I read somewhere that the F-100s are due for some kind of engine mod that costs 1.5 million per engine. Add that too the fact that they are all coming up for overhaul and you can see why AA is gonna retire them. From what I hear the EMB-145s and MD80/737 fleets will be replacing them. Gonna miss "Barbie's little dream jet". Or as the crews call them the "double date" (because of it's crewed with 2 pilots and 2 f/a's)

Back