Amazon Air MIA Runway Excursion

in my series of tactical jets, only cared about gust additive for landing, and x-wind total for drag chute deployment (or not). For helos, alot
more important knowing both wind direction and strength.

Yeah ours is unique i suppose in that we fly AoA and not a reference speed. There is a way to calculate the speed associated with 8.1 AoA (on speed for the A-G), but it is just a cross check. There is no published procedure to add any speed to that based on environmental factors. I will fly a half “fast” when single engine landing at a shore field, more of a “add a couple for mom and the kids” technique rather than something actually published anywhere.
 
I never really thought about it; does the aircraft even have a flap handle?

Yes, with 3 positions. FULL, HALF, and AUTO. Full and Half are landing flaps, whereas Auto is equivalent to "UP" in other aircraft. Really, Full and Half trigger the FCCs into approach/landing mode with fixed leading and trailing edge flap deflections (half is 30 deg TEF, and full is 40), while Auto triggers them into cruise flight settings.......in other words the LEFs and TEFs will schedule down according to aerodynamic requirements in that realm of flight. If I'm at high AoA, they will schedule down accordingly, without any pilot input. As a pilot, you really have no idea how much they are extended or retracted there, unless I guess you were to look at the FCS page where it would tell you. Flaps will also blow up at 240 knots to retracted in any flap switch position. Field takeoffs are Half flaps, and carrier cat shots are full flaps. Landings are normally done full flaps, but you can land half flaps too.
 
I listened to the tape after the accident. I believe it was a she and she was had come on position a short time earlier.
I listened too, forgot it was a she. It's a habit...like when pilots say to us, "Yes sir... I mean ma'am." Or when referring to planes most of us say, "He this," or, "He that".

Anyway, if she gets anything it'll just be a PROC (which is toilet paper and means nothing) and that's it.
 
What's a PROC. I just watched Pushing Tin last night and they did try to get some of the nomenclature right. Stuff like deals and spinning aircraft.
 
What's a PROC. I just watched Pushing Tin last night and they did try to get some of the nomenclature right. Stuff like deals and spinning aircraft.
They are a relatively new management tool for reprimanding or commending us. It stands for performance record of conference. First time I heard of them was in 2022. As AM says, they don't really mean much, and if you transfer they don't follow you. I am sure they would be used as evidence in a disciplinary procedure though, and the way things have been lately, I feel like this will be more than a PROC
 
Back
Top