Am I crazy for considering this?

Can you work fulltime at your current job and teach parttime on the weekends? That's how I got to the airlines. Plenty of people have done it that way.

Can you work fulltime at your current job and teach parttime on the weekends? That's how I got to the airlines. Plenty of people have done it that way.
Honestly it seems like something I would have better luck at if I devoted myself to instructing. With the demands of my current job it's tough to imagine doing that on the weekends, unless I was doing that full time.

Is keeping your 80K "day job" and CFI'ing part-time "on-the-side" an option for you?

I wish, but I don't have the option of doing my job part-time unfortunately.

Actually, what I meant was keep working your 80K full time job and CFI part-time wherever/whenever you can. Lots of others have followed this path, but it depends on how much of your life your full time job takes up and how much of the time you have leftover that you want to commit to flying/CFI'ing.

Honestly it seems like something I would have better luck at if I devoted myself to instructing. With the demands of my current job it's tough to imagine doing that on the weekends, unless I was doing that full time.

I CFI on the side, doesn't add up to a ton of hours, but it is doable. And better than flying all the time as a CFI wondering how I am going to pay the bills.

My day job is pretty demanding in terms of time and travel, it still works out.

I would consider taking a less demanding job in your current career field that will allow you to fly part time during the week and on weekends. This will allow you to enter the aviation market with much less stress when you have the required hours, having some savings in the bank will serve you very well.

..and don't limit yourself to the airlines!

Reactions: b17
I am 32, have a girlfriend, no children, a good job paying about 80k a year and great benefits, but considering taking a CFI job to pursue the dream I've had since I was a kid. Got my CFI in college but took a career in business when I graduated and have been successful so far... just wanting to take this leap finally. Opinions?

Yep. You're crazy. I left aviation 4 months ago and while it's only been a mere 4 months, I'm loving it. I regularly see my old company come into my home airport and all I generally think is "poor suckers.." My old company is a heap and I was tired of letting "the man" take advantage of my love to fly.

What you need to do is keep your good job and buy an airplane. :) I've been out and I'm flying more than I'd like, actually. I'm staying very busy in the aviation community.

I wish, but I don't have the option of doing my job part-time unfortunately.

Why can't you CFI on the side? CFI'ing is not a full time gig. I refuse to have more than 3 students at a time and I generally have to get along really, really well with the 3rd guy. ;)

Wait...why don't you buy a little cessna 140 or somthing for $12K and you and you're girlfriend just fly all over the place to get your hours? remember one killer for ATP minimums is the 500 hours of XC time...that is hard to do on the backs of your students. Anyway, fly your hours, then sell the plane and recoup most of your money back?

Crazy... I'm finishing up a military career and trying to break into flying as a career afterwards. Won't actually start flying for "pay" until I'm around 39...

You're still young.

You aren't crazy man. I am not going to sit here and say you are going to make great money, because you aren't, but money isn't everything. It all goes back to doing what makes you happy man. If you think flying would make you a lot happier than your current job then get out there and do it.

I think that one of the worst things anybody can possibly do is not do something that they want to do because they wouldn't make as much money. I can almost guarantee that if you really have the flying bug, and don't pursue the career, when you are about 60 you will wonder why the heck you didn't give it a shot. I had second thoughts on flying last year, mainly because of the temptation of making a lot more money with my degree career field whenever I graduate college. I did a lot of soul searching and came to the conclusion that all of that money wasn't worth the risk of getting to 60 and thinking " Wow.... What the heck was I thinking? I could have been flying for a living the past 40 years and have been sitting here with my nice house and insurance job." You can't take that nice house and fancy car with you when you die.

Money is good man, don't get me wrong. I mean you have to have money to live on, but once you make enough to live on it can't really buy you happiness. I don't think it could come anywhere close to buying the level of happiness you could get from doing a job you truly enjoy. Go for it.

TL:DR : Go do it!

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

Wait...why don't you buy a little cessna 140 or somthing for $12K and you and you're girlfriend just fly all over the place to get your hours? remember one killer for ATP minimums is the 500 hours of XC time...that is hard to do on the backs of your students. Anyway, fly your hours, then sell the plane and recoup most of your money back?
ATP XC is point to point. plenty of CFIs leave busy airspace for an airport 5-10 miles away for touch and goes. that counts as ATP XC

FAR 61.1(b)(4) tells us:
(4) Cross-country time means—

(vi) For the purpose of meeting the aeronautical experience requirements for an airline transport pilot certificate (except with a rotorcraft category rating), time acquired during a flight--

(A) Conducted in an appropriate aircraft;

(B) That is at least a straight-line distance of more than 50 nautical miles from the original point of departure; and

(C) That involves the use of dead reckoning, pilotage, electronic navigation aids, radio aids, or other navigation systems.

FAR 61.1(b)(4) tells us:
(4) Cross-country time means—

(vi) For the purpose of meeting the aeronautical experience requirements for an airline transport pilot certificate (except with a rotorcraft category rating), time acquired during a flight--

(A) Conducted in an appropriate aircraft;

(B) That is at least a straight-line distance of more than 50 nautical miles from the original point of departure; and

(C) That involves the use of dead reckoning, pilotage, electronic navigation aids, radio aids, or other navigation systems.
maybe it was the 135 IFR xc I was thinking of

It actually can be kinda confusing. you were right in a way;
4. (i)(c) says xc time is anything "That includes a landing at a point other than the point of departure..."

BUT
But when it's used for ratings:
- ii(b) says for private, commercial Inst: :That includes a point of landing that was at least a straight-line distance of more than 50 nautical miles from the original point of departure"
- iii(a) for sport pilot 25 miles
- iv for powered parachute is 15 miles

The diffrence for ATP is with the 50 miles you don't have to land...that's a big help :)

Become a CFI on the side while keeping your business job...and if you still wish to go further, assess the feasibility of your longterm goals thereafter. If you go onwards, recall this: keep your finances in check, never live beyond your means.

I am about to retire from 21 years in the military and am looking at a career change. I am currently an IT guy with an IT degree and certifications so shouldn't be a problem getting a good job. I'm just tired of it because I've been doing it for 21 years! I've got my PPL and have started the ground school for instrument and commercial. I'm overseas, so the practical (flying) portion of both I won't be able to do until I get back. Now the question: Is 40 years old too old? I 've seen plenty of posts talking about pay and passion. While both are important, is it possible to actually make it a career starting so late?
Thoughts?

Back