Alright here's the deal...

naunga

Alright here\'s the deal...

My wife is almost (7 months more baby
grin.gif
) done with medical school (gonna be a foot doc).

I think that she, like all good doctors, is going to need her own private plane. Nothing fancy mind you (although a Citation would be sweet), and being that I'm working to become a pilot I'd be more than happy to fly it for her.

The problem is she's not convinced.

So...

What are y'all's thoughts on some ammo I can use to sell her on the idea.

Naunga

Re: Alright here\'s the deal...

Well I would definately stay away from the V-tail bonanza...
grin.gif

Tell her she can then get a really cool watch.

You probably don't want my opinion but I gotta stick up for your wife. That is a huge liability, have you checked what the insurance would cost you yet? And be prepared for everyone you know to ask for flights. Maybe that would be cool or maybe it would drive you crazy. People ask Corbin for flights all the time now and we are like, what do you think? The plane is free? You wanna pay for the gas? Then go for it...no one has ever followed through with it after that. How much would mainenance and everything else run you?

However, if you turned it into one of those pilot club part share ownership type deals and look at it as an investment....

It might be the $100K+ in student loans (that most med grads have) that makes her hesitate. If Key Bank didn't own me, I'd have my own plane too!

Actually my wife doesn't want one just because she thinks it's silly to have one.

Also the plane would be for her practice, so it really wouldn't be available all the time, except for the two of us.

And at this point we're...okay well I'm...not concerned about the practical aspects.

My thinking is that she could fly to branch offices in different cities states, whatever, and then in the down time the plane could be used for Angel Flight missions.

Naunga

Well that sounds like a really compassionate idea!
smile.gif
I didn't know that dr's would need to fly so much though? How much of the time would this save her from driving some where?

Well, considering that we're probably going to end up in Atlanta it would say more time to have a helicopter. Atlanta traffic sucks.

I'm not so sure I look at it as a time thing, but rather, she could have an offices in Georgia, Tennesee, Florida, Alabama, etc. etc. and I'd get lots of flying time...without all the politicing that goes along with working for a living.

Naunga

A nice 172 could make sense for time building doing Angel Flight missions. I am not sure if you are planning on becoming a CFI, but if you are not and have a good paying job you could buy a nice 172 and build your time doing Angel Flights missions, and use the tax write offs for her practice, which could really be an efficent way to gain the hours. Once you have the experience needed you could either sell the airplane, or keep it and get others to do Angel Flights in it as they build time, and still keep it as a tax write off. You will have to speak to peopel whom have more experience with aircraft costs, and taxes - but just on paper it looks interesting.

I am not sure how it would benefit the practice though - maybe free flight for every wart removal.

Yeah that might have something to do with it...although you're off by about $200K. Yep, $300K in loans. Ugly. But then again she's also looking at having a practice that could pull in 7 figures.

So I'm starting to think...you know, no work for me. Get my ratings, get her to get a nice plane, and I'm flying Corporate...although I'm not really getting paid.
grin.gif

Anyhow, this is more of an exercise like, "honey here are some great reasons you should buy me this expensive toy."

Although I dig the responses I've gotten so far.

Naunga

Buy a boat. Betcha she'll dig the hell out of that.
grin.gif

OR - go ahead and buy the plane and if she doesn't want to fly in it, you and I can split the time flying it to and from TPA and ATL.

We'll build an ASSLOAD of hours!!

Oh - and get a light twin. That'll be even better. I'll split the cost in fuel.
wink.gif

R2F

[ QUOTE ]
Buy a boat. Betcha she'll dig the hell out of that.
grin.gif

OR - go ahead and buy the plane and if she doesn't want to fly in it, you and I can split the time flying it to and from TPA and ATL.

[/ QUOTE ]

A Seaplane is the answer!!!! You can sunbathe on the floats, fish off the floats, and probably waterski from the back!!! (just tie on to the tail tie-down point...
grin.gif
).

When you get tired of one lake, jump on the lap top, check the weather, and then do a flight lesson over to the next lake!!!!

Hmmmm - good point. Okay, so we all need to get our MES rating at Brown's Seaplane Basin here in Winter Haven, Florida.... you guys can stay at my house.

grin.gif

She's already said she'd love a boat, so that's an easy sell.

[ QUOTE ]
go ahead and buy the plane and if she doesn't want to fly in it,

[/ QUOTE ]

She'll fly in it no problem...what I gotta do is get her to buy it (she's gonna be the doctor remember...me I'm just an IT guy who has an expensive hobby at this point).

Hey I might take you up on that if we end up in ATL
wink.gif

Let me say that I don't any of you guys to get the impression that she's not supportive of my flying. She is very supportive. In fact my first CFI was a woman. My wife last christmas went to he airport and bought a gift certificate to cover one of my lessons. My CFI was blown away that she actually was encouraging my flying habit. She said that the wives of most of the guys she was instructing thought it was a waste of money and a couple wouldn't even fly with their hubbies. Needless to say she thought my wife kicked ass (which she does)...she just isn't sold on the notion that she needs a private plane for her practice.

You think she's caught on that I need the plane? Naaah.

Later.

Naunga

Seaplanes rock!!

I'm in!! after I get my SEL done first.

Two dream planes, Beech Stagger Wing and Grumman Goose.

Naunga

[ QUOTE ]
But then again she's also looking at having a practice that could pull in 7 figures.

[/ QUOTE ]

A foot dr. making 7 figures? Are you talking USD or Mexican Pesos?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
But then again she's also looking at having a practice that could pull in 7 figures.

[/ QUOTE ]

A foot dr. making 7 figures?

[/ QUOTE ]

As much as I pay for health insurance in this country it would not surprise me!!!! My health insurance in AU, costs about 1/5 of the price!!!

A foot doctor? Just curious is she a physician or a podiatrist?

Maybe you'll be able to find some of her coleagues that are in airplane ownership partnerships. You could buy into one for less than a brand new plane of your own. Then, in a few years, sell the equity in that and buy your own.

Baby steps . . . baby steps . . . pun very much intended.

Back