ALPA Fastread Today... TSA/FFDO update

Captain_Bob

More appropriate forum than the general forums, and a little less traffic down here too.

TSA Reconfirms Commitment to FFDO Program

March 17, 2009

In stark contrast to an op-ed article in today’s edition (March 17, 2009) of the Washington Times, that claims “…President Obama is quietly ending the federal firearms program, risking public safety on airlines in the name of an anti-gun ideology,” TSA officials reassured ALPA they are committed to the FFDO program and have plans for its expansion. TSA’s leadership immediately contacted ALPA and requested a meeting to discuss this news report. ALPA representatives met with TSA executives this afternoon and were told that TSA embraces the FFDO program, that there are no plans to reduce or restrict its growth, and that the agency fully intends to grow and expand the program.

Government representatives acknowledged that the program needs additional funding to achieve these goals, and that they are actively pursuing sources of additional funding. These funds will be used to enhance the program’s management structure and oversight, which if implemented, will address an ALPA Board of Directors security priority.

TSA is currently training hundreds of pilots each year and plans to continue to train at least that number or more into the future. The size of the FFDO cadre has grown so large that additional resources are needed to provide greater structure and oversight to this important program, which TSA referred to today as “an important layer of defense.”

“ALPA is very pleased that the TSA was so proactive in communicating its concerns to the Association and we are likewise pleased that we are able to report this good news to the membership,” said ALPA President, Capt. John Prater. “ALPA values its relationship with the TSA, and it is obvious from the way the agency handled this event that the feeling is mutual.”

Stay tuned.

Government representatives acknowledged that the program needs additional funding to achieve these goals, and that they are actively pursuing sources of additional funding. These funds will be used to enhance the program’s management structure and oversight, which if implemented, will address an ALPA Board of Directors security priority.

Translation: The Department of Homeland Security would like an earmark for money. Please use this populist appeal as inspiration for you to write your Congressman and Senator for this earmark, which is near and dear to you.

I was never really big into the idea of carrying a gun myself. Ninja swords? Now, that is something that could really snaz up my uniform. How cool would I look walking down the concourse with with a big ol' sword dangling from my belt. Set off the metal detector? Oh, I'm sorry, it must be my NINJA SWORD! Ninja swords = SWEETNESS. (throwing stars too)
:yar:

I was never really big into the idea of carrying a gun myself. Ninja swords? Now, that is something that could really snaz up my uniform. How cool would I look walking down the concourse with with a big ol' sword dangling from my belt. Set off the metal detector? Oh, I'm sorry, it must be my NINJA SWORD! Ninja swords = SWEETNESS. (throwing stars too)
:yar:

I prefer the Katana myself vs. the Ninjato. Folded metal vs. form cast would do more damage to x-ray machines.

I prefer the Katana myself vs. the Ninjato. Folded metal vs. form cast would do more damage to x-ray machines.

Yeah, but, to me size matters. Also, you can't slice someone in half with a katana. You can poke a bunch of holes though.

My kinda woman!

I'd carry my Miyamoto Musashi replica around.. if it wouldn't freak people out.

It's a thing of beauty, it is. It's hard to find a katana that's actually made for a man that's 6'2".

I tried to compel people to actually read the article, but there was a lot more interest in forming a 'gnash cluster'.

I am, just trying to find it first!

NTW, Nice was.... nice! :)

Ooh, guess it was already deleted, I was going to merge...

Slice them in half? Oh yeah you can.

I'd go with a machete. They are small enough to fit into my rollerboard and light enough to wield in confined areas. They are also relatively inexpensive.

The crash axe would work pretty well also!

It's all good. Just trying to catch up after getting in from work! Faster server = faster posting = faster gnash clusters forming.

Slice them in half? Oh yeah you can.

Beat me to it...Real, correctly hand-made authentic Japanese Katanas can slice right through mature bamboo...you think it wouldn't make short work of a torso, LOL. The Ninjato was a throw away utility sword. They were likely mass produced if they were ever authentically made at all. The Ninjato is a modern incarnation of the original Ninjaken or also called the Shinobi Katana. They were more reminiscent of the wakizashi with a slight curve to the blade and the trademark square tsuba.

Back