ALPA charged with Unfair Labor Practices???

"Libelous attacks?" What would that be?

Kellie Collie filing false reports about a staffer and getting them fired? (The staffer now has a huge lawsuit filed against ALPA and it's a slam dunk)

Jalmer Johnson's salary? Check the LM-2's..they're Federal disclosures. And ask Jalmer who paid for his Lincoln Navigator with the personalized Virginia tag with ALPA on it...ALPA member dues.

Bruce York's "love" of ALPA work? Ask the guys who were formerly the Atlas MEC how Bruce begged them to put in a good word with Atlas management so he could get a job with their company. It became the joke of Mass. Avenue. Everyone in the office knew, but he thought he was being so secretive.

As far as "naming names" being offensive, how is that? The filing lists their names. They are the ALPA negotiators that shoved imposed work rules down everyones throats.

ALPA used to be a tremendous place to work. It was a family that took care of each other and went the extra ten miles for our pilots. Now it's a shell; people come to work and just pray they make it to retirement without finding that the retirement goal line hasn't been moved yet again and the old, experienced folks are shoved out.

Senior people like Jeff MacDonald and others are being cut to part time because ALPA can't afford to pay them. York, Johnson, Lorenzetti, Collie...and the National officers don't take a pay cut. Pilots have...staff has...are they special?

I say spend the dues money first on the people who make the place run.

The funny part; if you can call it that, is that Jalmer Johnson the ALPA General Manager makes over 460,000.00 a year, plus expenses and bennies like a car paid for by union dues. Yet he refused to join the in house union for years as a staffer. Bruce York, one of the others is a Senior Lawyer and has made his disdain for pilots known for a long time. He's making a nice check too while we have pilots starving. Same with Margeritta Lorenzetti, the Finance Director. And Kellie Collie, who fired one staffer who had a documented medical condition and was cleared to work at home, and regularly saved ALPA hundreds of thousands of dollars in travel costs. Kellie makes over $160,000 and bennies.

Union fat cats.

How ironic.

It was interesting, in some of the posts, about the disdain for secretarial help making $60k. If you want people to empathize with your plight as a pilot, you must first have empathy. Even if it were true that these people were making $60k, the last thing that unionized people need to do is mock that salary. I am not union but as a rule I will NEVER say anyone is overpaid - it is bad form and it invites an exploration of your own pay.

It was interesting, in some of the posts, about the disdain for secretarial help making $60k. If you want people to empathize with your plight as a pilot, you must first have empathy. Even if it were true that these people were making $60k, the last thing that unionized people need to do is mock that salary. I am not union but as a rule I will NEVER say anyone is overpaid - it is bad form and it invites an exploration of your own pay.

:yeahthat:

Looking at someone's salary without walking in their shoes is a bit ridiculous. If their job description or workload equal a $60k job I think we'd all feel like tools criticizing him/her.

Good post.

Secretaries can be awesome, one at my previous employer could DO ANYTHING and EVERYTHING. She could answer more questions about anything with the company, if you needed an answer, she had it, I hope she was compensated properly.

Good post, but. . .what posts to you see disdain for secretarial help making 60k?

Good post, but. . .what posts to you see disdain for secretarial help making 60k?

Maybe disdain was too strong. Wheelsup's post questioned the number, and Todd felt the need to defend/explain it. And you compared it to Captains (understand the logic of your post completely). To write the post again I would probably use another word than disdain.

This is strange. In the aviation world, $60K is "holy cow, lookit that moolah!" but in the real world, it's respectable, but certainly nothing to bat an eye at.

This is strange. In the aviation world, $60K is "holy cow, lookit that moolah!" but in the real world, it's respectable, but certainly nothing to bat an eye at.

I make a little less than that now, and I can assure you, even in Memphis, I'm not exactly rolling in the cash. Car has to be fixed, and it could derail the vacation planned in October.

Agree completely. It is almost like a form of Stockholm Syndrome. Lorenzo taught the world that pilots would fly for nothing and it has been a constant race to the bottom since that time. Other factors have obviously come into play, but I believe the first factor needs to be a realization by pilots that $19k to start flying right seat of a CRJ is nuts. $60k to be a Captain at a regional is nuts (unless they are flying 1900's or Brasilia's). Pilots need to NOT judge what other people make...but they do need to study what others make and also asses what responsibilities other people at those salary levels have. I like to fly, but not enough to go to the poorhouse to do it. Sully saved his airline a multiple of his career earnings on one day in January. Pilots need to wake up.

Agree completely. It is almost like a form of Stockholm Syndrome. Lorenzo taught the world that pilots would fly for nothing and it has been a constant race to the bottom since that time. Other factors have obviously come into play, but I believe the first factor needs to be a realization by pilots that $19k to start flying right seat of a CRJ is nuts. $60k to be a Captain at a regional is nuts (unless they are flying 1900's or Brasilia's). Pilots need to NOT judge what other people make...but they do need to study what others make and also asses what responsibilities other people at those salary levels have. I like to fly, but not enough to go to the poorhouse to do it. Sully saved his airline a multiple of his career earnings on one day in January. Pilots need to wake up.

Sonofabitch, I am developing a man-crush on you. I think we need to go on a man-date and then start a bro-mance. I think you and me need to get an apartment together. I miss your scent, I miss your musk. :D

Sonofabitch, I am developing a man-crush on you. I think we need to go on a man-date and then start a bro-mance. I think you and me need to get an apartment together. I miss your scent, I miss your musk. :D

Man...you'll have to deal with MJG...I'm kinda his bitch now...

I still don't know what the answer is though. I understand the RLA prohibits wildcat strikes, and I also understand that the NLRB has not released groups to strike (Clinton, then Bush were not great about that). All I say is this - would Joe Hill have let the NLRB stop him? Would John L. Lewis have let them stop him (although Truman did put Lewis in shortpants by threatening to draft all the strikers into the military). It would seem that pilots have a skill that takes longer to learn, at a higher cost, than other trades. France, Germany, Italy, and throughout SA will call national strikes and shut everything down once in a while. They can't fire all of you, nor can they arrest all of you. If all the pilots at a given airline, or even industry wide, just decided to take a day off per month (without announcing the day in advance to the public) it may get some attention/action. Don't strike long-term so they hire SCABS - strike a day here, a day there, not allowing them to plan for it.

Yes, it is militant. Yes, it is against the law. Your labor predecessors didn't care about these things (but people then were tougher). Go big and militant, or don't go at all. Become a union (kneebreaking, serious type union) and stop being an association (implying professional, above the fray). As I said, I'm not in a union nor have I been. But, I have many family members that are and have seen what the Teamsters have done for my cousins (truck drivers) and what IFFA didn't do for my aunt (TWA FA), and am continuing to be somewhat confused about ALPA (UAL MEC is militant, others not so much). Your entire industry is going to be outsourced soon by RAH and others. I would worry less about what is legal or not regarding the labor laws and start getting aggressive and mean.

Maybe disdain was too strong. Wheelsup's post questioned the number, and Todd felt the need to defend/explain it. And you compared it to Captains (understand the logic of your post completely). To write the post again I would probably use another word than disdain.

Good, just wanted to make sure you were not considering my post as one in which there was any disdain displayed. I was merely pointing out that they have negotiating capital to request and obviously negotiate a wage appropriate to whatever they can properly bargain for. Where as we, as stupid pilots, largely lack any sense of negotiating capital, so we get the peanuts we get.

Back