ALMOST DONE!!!

ERAU_Intern

Well, the day is finally at hand. On December 13th at 10:00am, I will graduate from Embry-Riddle and head home to Maryland looking for a job! It's been 3 and a half long years coming. Anyhow, I wish all incoming students all the best, and offer to them these words of encouragement. Keep at it, because it will be over before you know it!

Well, I didn't get all my time and certs/ratings at Embry-Riddle, but currently I am sitting at about 340 total time. Believe me. I am MORE than ready for someone else to pay for my flight time. It gets to be a real drag whipping out that plastic every time you go up.

Probablly 200 hours before I got to ERAU. But to be honest, most Riddle students graduate with around 275tt. I just got alot done before I got out here. And I gotta be honest, I saved a TREMENDOUS ammount of money doing it. But guess what, im graduating with the same Aeronautica Science degree that all the rest of them have. Hmm, kinda makes ya think eh?

[ QUOTE ]
Probablly 200 hours before I got to ERAU. But to be honest, most Riddle students graduate with around 275tt. I just got alot done before I got out here. And I gotta be honest, I saved a TREMENDOUS ammount of money doing it. But guess what, im graduating with the same Aeronautica Science degree that all the rest of them have. Hmm, kinda makes ya think eh?

[/ QUOTE ]

In my day there, the guys doing all the Air Science academics, but doing the flying elsewhere, say at North-Aire for example, received an "Aeronautical Studies" or "Professional Aero" degree. Is it still that way?

Yes Mike, the "cant hack it" guys are still called Aerospace Studies (ASP). But I did it differently. I got my Commercial and Instrument at Barksdale AFB, LA. Home of some Reserve A-10's actually. (the 47th I believe.) Anyhow, then I came to Riddle and took a "Transition" course called FA-341. Which basically meant that I had to prove to Riddle that I was indeed a Commercial Instrument pilot. And it sucked. But after finishing it, I "earned" the right to be considered an Aeronautical Science student. From there, I got my multi-engine in the Duchess and then completed the rest of my requirements. So in December I will graduate with a Bachelor of Science in Aeronautical Science (Professional Pilot). *sigh*

[ QUOTE ]
Yes Mike, the "cant hack it" guys are still called Aerospace Studies (ASP). But I did it differently.

[/ QUOTE ]

I wasn't necessarily referring to them as "can't hack it" types; most of them I knew could only barely afford the schooling for the degree, but didn't have the exorbiant amount of cash readily on hand to be able to partake in Riddle's flight courses.

Which begs the question, why go to ERAU in the first place if you cant afford it? Fair enough though. I was a little out of line with the "cant hack it" comment. Skyschool and North-Aire however, have raised prices lately to compete with Riddle. The cost savings isn't so great anymore.

I am a senior in Daytona and wondering what you have for jet transition and was it requirement for grad in aero sci. Here we have the CRJ which will be up and going in spring. Prior to that we had the B1900 and 737. Just wondering cause you never mentioned it.

And then on another note, you mentioned that aero studies was for people that couldn't hack. Well I don't agree with that at all based on the fly off campus option. You can save a lot of money and still receive an Aero sci degree the only difference is the area of concentration. It is in a way a better option as to the fact that they have open electives where they can have 2 minors as well. Which gives them options. Just my .02. I am airline aoc but I also got all my ratings at riddle. I have about 210 hrs now and waiting on CRJ.

210 and waiting on a CRJ? Get in line buddy.
smile.gif

No Tazman. What part of what I said have you not understood??? If you fly off campus, you DO NOT get an Aeronautical Science degree. It is called aerospace studies, and there is a difference. There is only one way to still get an Aeronautical Science degree if you fly off campus. That is to take a transition course at Riddle. (FA-109, FA-341, or FA-399) Otherwise, you have to graduate as an ASP, or Aerospace Studies major. And like I said in my earlier post. I have no problem with that, and the "cant hack it" comment was wrong of me to say. But if you are gonna contest what I said.....get your story straight.

Yeah, I would have to say your comment on the "can't hack it guys" was in very poor taste.
mad.gif

Being an ASP myself, I find it's not that we can't hack it, it is more that we don't particularly care for Embry Riddle Flight Line's extremely high stress atmosphere which is unnecessary and potentially harmful in a learning environment. I don't believe it is a good program if they manage to take all the fun out of wanting to fly. I have taken the same classes as you and "hacked" them very well, thank you very much.

Had I known that I should have gotten the majority of my raiting before I got here, I probably would have. Instead I got sucked in by a bunch of false promises of a flight program who's promises were not met by any means. The people who are in the ASP program, probably aren't there by choice... they came for the AS degree but found the flight program to be less desireble than what they had hoped. The ASP students go to a different flight school were they can truely learn at thier own pace and enjoy what they are learning.

Just be nice about what you say, please. The ASP program gets enough crap from the school, we don't need it from our peers.

Thanks.

Marilyn

flyn ace, you come on this website with your earlier posts ripping Embry apart and you want people to be nice?

I'm sorry, but based on your other posts, it sounds like you couldn't "hack it". This does not mean I believe other people in the ASP can't hack it but may have entered that program to fit their current situation.

Embry has the reputation of being intense and because of this, developing great pilots.

Yes I was ASP as well and I guess you can say that I could not hack it...I could not hack their high prices...the long waiting for check rides, stage checks so on.... I did not like how thier program was run. I did not like the length of time that it was taking to complete thier program due to ANA, or the aircraft being down. I guess you could say that taking more classes than you was easier. I took all the same classes you did plus 15 credits more...and wait here it comes...I DID FLIGHT AT THE SAME TIME. Imagine that...you you having the balls to say that I cant hack it....You are very full of yourself. Sorry I went to the same school as you, I do not want to be associated with someone like you! I am glad I did what I did...my roomates are still there for at least another year finishing flight.

On a side note glad to hear you are graduating. Congrats.

phactuary,

I was stating to be nice to the people in the program in general. I do expect people to be nice to those of us in our ASP program regardless of why we are there. It is true that I did not do well myself, but if you were in my shoes, I don't think you would be so quick to critisize.

Since you are obviously new maybe you should give us your story and how you are doing. Are you attending Riddle? If so, which campus? What is your year? Are you AS? What is your GPA and how many jobs do you have? Are your parent's paying for school or are you doing it yourself?

There are many factors which impede a person from learning and an inability to learn should NEVER be critisized. I do admit that carrying up to 18 credits and up to 2 jobs at a time made it very difficult to finish, but that doesn't mean I couldn't hack it. Many people who fly with Riddle don't have jobs, nor do they do well in thier academics. (Some do very well, and have jobs, but the majority have other means of being supported and don't entirely have the same amount of stress on them). I am not complaining about not having the advantages that other do, I am just stating that added workload = added stress.

I have come to find that just because you flew at Riddle doesn't mean you are a great pilot. Intensity doesn't determine a great pilot, the pilot's determination to be a great pilot is the determining factor. A fair amount of stress is expected when entering a flight atmosphere, but there comes a point where the amount of stress is harmful, I think in MOST cases, ER has surpassed that amount.

And as I have said before: Those who have finished the flight program, successfully, and on time, I applaud you. Those of you who did it on your own and had jobs, I bow down to you. You have a ton of my respect. Best wishes to everyone.

If "not hacking it" means being on the Dean's List several times, holding down up to 2 jobs working up to 50 hours a week, and maintaining a stable relationship while the management of the flight line tells you [you can't fly/ you can't fly because you are a girl/ you are gonna fail either way/ etc] and your instructor (the person who was actually flying with you) says " you can fly, you just need to be given a chance"; then I guess I couldn't "hack it"...

So here are my shoes... start walking...

By the way ERAU_Intern,

Congrats on everything. I'm glad to see that you did so well and got through so quickly. I will see you at graduation.

Where did you intern at?

Back