Allegiant Air pilots have accused the carrier of using planes that 'barely pass' safety standards

derg

Apparently a "terse" writer
Staff member
From: http://roadwarriorvoices.com/2015/0...sing-planes-that-barely-pass-safety-standard/

It’s safe to say that Allegiant Air, its passengers and flight crew haven’t had the best week.

On June 9, smoke filled the cabin of a Hagerstown, Maryland-bound flight and the plane was forced to make an emergency landing. Passengers were evacuated using the plane’s emergency slides and four injuries were reported. Three days later, passengers on a Boise-bound Allegiant flight were forced to evacuate themselves onto the plane’s wing after the smell of fuel and smoke permeated the cabin. And the Allegiant Pilots Union has written a letter to the airline’s shareholders warning that these incidents – and the dozens of others that have occurred – are due to the budget carrier’s willingness to “cut corners” when it comes to safety.

The pilots and union researchers studied a six month period between September 2014 and March 2015 and discovered 65 instances where Allegiant flights were diverted or had to return to the gate for engine or mechanical problems. Adding to the “oh crap” nature of their report, four of those incidents involved the engines shutting down during a flight. Chris Moore, the Pilots Union Representative, told WFTS:

That doesn’t encompass every diversion or air return, so that’s just a snapshot of what’s reportable. My guess is there’s probably more than that.

The union’s letter and report also claims that Allegiant has one of the oldest fleets in the industry, with the average age of their planes ranging between 22 and 24 years old, depending on the model. “Pilots are forced to fly aircraft that barely passes acceptable safety standards,” the report’s authors wrote. Although its fleet could be euphemistically described as “experienced,” the union alleges that the mechanics who service them are anything but: 55% of Allegiant’s mechanics have less than four years of experience.

Allegiant released a statement, accusing Teamsters Local 1224 – the Pilots Union – of using this report to “manipulate the public.” The airline also says that it has two internal safety programs in place to monitor the health and safety of its fleet. The statement reads, in part:

Allegiant’s safety record is among the best in the aviation industry. In fact, as a result of the threatened strike by the Teamsters, Allegiant recently completed a period of heightened surveillance by FAA. Throughout this process, the FAA did not find any safety issues with our operations.

Allegiant’s pilots had planned to strike in April over unrelated labor and wage issues, but the strike was called off at almost the last possible minute.

"AllegiantPilots Union has written a letter to the airline’sshareholders warning that these incidents – and thedozens of others that have occurred – are due to thebudget carrier’s willingness to “cut corners” when itcomes to safety."

"Allegiant released a statement, accusing Teamsters Local 1224 – the Pilots Union – of using this report to “manipulate the public.” The airline also says that it has two internal safety programs in place to monitor the health and safety of its fleet."

Uh-oh, looks like someone has a case of the Mondays!!!

Allegiant just made the news up here. It said they had 38 "issues" between January and March. To be honest after working there I'm surprised it wasn't more.

Write up for "throttle stiff in upper 3/4 region. feels like it is binding up" entered in logbook (keeping in mind an all mechanical airplane)
*Mechanic spends 45 minutes trying to find a way to sign off logbook*
*Mechanic improperly uses spring scale to test throttle three times until equal to the 8 pound limit* (places thumb on measuring portion of the scale to create friction)
*FO calls out mechanic on improper test*
*Mechanic properly tests throttle. 15 pounds required to move throttle*
*Mechanic disappears for 10 minutes then returns with back up*
*Supervisor does spring scale test. 15 pounds noted*
Mechanic "Well it is out of limits. We have two options"
CA "OK"
Mechanic "We can sign it off as OK or take it out of service. What do you want to do?"
*CA and FO look at each other with dumbfounded looks*
CA "I would feel more comfortable taking it out of service"
*Mechanic storms off like a child*

This is a daily battle folks.

It’s safe to say that Allegiant Air, its passengers and flight crew haven’t had the best week.
a slight understatement. Of five legs: average of three and a half hours delayed, two gate returns, a cancellation, and a partridge in a pear tree.

Mechanic "We can sign it off as OK or take it out of service. What do you want to do?"

h

I'm glad to see people saying No to taking a broken airplane. I saw plenty of instances of people wanting to get home taking airplanes that were broken, just so they could get home.

Wouldn't the "barely safe" claim also reflect poorly on the pilots for agreeing to fly such aircraft?

IMO part of Allegiant's culture is "day trip" and some are very resistant to writing some thing up on an out station turn, as they want to go home, haven't brought clothes, pick up their kids from school etc.... I learned the first month I was on reserve to always bring an overnight bag as I was stuck in Bendover (Wendover) for 3 days with nothing. After that I always brought a bag for every trip no matter how short or long. I've seen folks take planes I wouldn't look at just to get home, this mindset has to change. Senior leadership is aware of the "get home factor" and take advantage of it.

Write up for "throttle stiff in upper 3/4 region. feels like it is binding up" entered in logbook (keeping in mind an all mechanical airplane)
*Mechanic spends 45 minutes trying to find a way to sign off logbook*
*Mechanic improperly uses spring scale to test throttle three times until equal to the 8 pound limit* (places thumb on measuring portion of the scale to create friction)
*FO calls out mechanic on improper test*
*Mechanic properly tests throttle. 15 pounds required to move throttle*
*Mechanic disappears for 10 minutes then returns with back up*
*Supervisor does spring scale test. 15 pounds noted*
Mechanic "Well it is out of limits. We have two options"
CA "OK"

a slight understatement. Of five legs: average of three and a half hours delayed, two gate returns, a cancellation, and a partridge in a pear tree.
The director or VP of Maintenance needs to be canned! It sounds like it's a problem from the top down. The fact that they don't want to get MCC involved or take a delay speaks volumes of the safety culture of the maintenance department. Our mechanics...well most of them are not shy about taking a delay to get more time to work on an issue. Are these company mechs or are they contract maintenance?

Not for nothing, but what I'm seeing with Allegiant looks a lot like what was going on at Valujet in the months leading up to 592. Do we really have to make the same mistake twice?

The director or VP of Maintenance needs to be canned! It sounds like it's a problem from the top down. The fact that they don't want to get MCC involved or take a delay speaks volumes of the safety culture of the maintenance department. Our mechanics...well most of them are not shy about taking a delay to get more time to work on an issue. Are these company mechs or are they contract maintenance?
Culture, of course, is a difficult thing to correct.

Not for nothing, but what I'm seeing with Allegiant looks a lot like what was going on at Valujet in the months leading up to 592. Do we really have to make the same mistake twice?
592 was a weird one, it's been a couple years since I was a certified "loadmaster" (international airlines rating, nothing to do with a military loadmaster) on anything but they talked about 592 a lot and I did some reading too out of self interest, and it's my opinion that thing was doomed from the start by shippers and a labeling process full of holes.

I hope the airline sues the IBT. This is such unprofessional BS. Makes the entire organized labor movement look bad.
Short of a full recal, is there anyway this ends well for Allegiant pilots? They'll get parked next won't they?

Last edited:
Just read another article saying allegiant is most profitable airline in world. Time to invest in your product.

Back