ALL FRIEGHT PILOTS

You weren't properly prepared! I used to carry a pair of old school metal spike golf shoes, just for nights like you described. Put those babies on and you'd have no trouble at all walking on the iciest of ramps.

Hard to find size 13 1/2 golf shoes. That was the worst I've experienced personally but I've heard other guys talk about ramps, taxiways, and runways so icy you'd wish you had a Sherpa to lead you into the FBO.

Hard to find size 13 1/2 golf shoes. That was the worst I've experienced personally but I've heard other guys talk about ramps, taxiways, and runways so icy you'd wish you had a Sherpa to lead you into the FBO.

I remember hitting reverse in an MU-2 on a little strip in Godforsaken, NE. WHOOF, instant whiteout. Won't do that again.

The caravan is the only FIKI plane I've ever flown, so I can't give a personal comparison with other birds. But I flew it through 4 winters, and never had a problem. Now, granted I did mostly fly around the Texas and the south which is not know for bad ice like the frozen north is. OTOH, our company had 4 birds flying around Michigan and dind't have any major problems with them.

You have to keep in mind what the boots can and can NOT do for you. They are there to buy you time to get out of the ice, nothing more, nothing less. If you camp out in ice in any plane with boots, you are asking for it to do something it was never suposed to do. Also taking off with ice already on your plane is idiotic as well. Many of the crashes related to ice involve taking off with ice already on the plane. That's just stuipid.

The best anti ice system is a spine and a phone call to dispatch. Stay on the ground, delay or divert around any possible ice. That is why you are the PIC, just say NO. Yes some bottom feeder comapnies will threaten your job, but you must stand up for yourself.

As always the weak link in the airplane is the loos nut in the left seat. If you can fix that, everything else is managable. If you don't it doesn't matter how good the plane is.

When I flew the caravan it was all in the upper midwest freezing level is the ground from November to April. I have just under 2,000 in the van and just over that in the navajo. Not taking off in certain conditions is a given and having a spine is one thing, but I take it you have never been cruising along and hit a patch of severe ice out of nowhere picking up an inch a minute of mixed ice. Up in the north you can't just descend because the freezing level is the ground. I like having the ability to attempt to climb which the 'Hoe' gives you. It's an extra out. That was my point. The caravan has an inferior power to weight ratio and has a lot of surface area.

On the subject of the Van in ice, I have no personal experience, but I remember flying a 99 (similar altitudes available) and thinking "meh, no big deal" while a Van driver a few miles away and 2000 ft below sounded like he was on the verge of declaring an emergency. Just a datapoint.

I remember hitting reverse in an MU-2 on a little strip in Godforsaken, NE. WHOOF, instant whiteout. Won't do that again.

It's always lovely when that happens.

It's even more fun when you're taxiing onto a ramp covered with a two inch sheet of ice and the rampers don't understand why you're unable to make a sharp 90 degree turn to get into a tight spot surrounded by cargo cans, tugs, belt loaders, cones and etc.... Which is quite strange that they don't get this when their tugs, with chains on the wheels, are spinning in one place as they try to get moving. It can be a real skating rink out there!

n56802252_30630327_7345.jpg

I remember back in the day of 135 freight I was at HQ in there was bad ice in Wisconsin. Our 310 diverted and called the company saying he couldn't get in. Disptach didn't give him any trouble. They then called the customer and told them the plane diverted due to icing. The customer was ticked and the company said we will send another plane but it will be a lear with a hot wing. The customer refused to pay for a lear so the company cancelled a trip. I few hours later a Caravan went in their declared and emergency and stalled and crashed due to ice. It always isn't easy as we are get the job done kind of people but you have to learn when to say when...

i fly for both the usps and ups and i can't stand the rampers for ups they could be replaced by small chimpazies flinging poo and i would still get the same ammount of cargo on. but my company is awsome so it all equals out!

i fly for both the usps and ups and i can't stand the rampers for ups they could be replaced by small chimpazies flinging poo and i would still get the same ammount of cargo on. but my company is awsome so it all equals out!
I'm disappointed, you forgot to mention cones and safety vests!

I have never heard so many mindless people yelling "You don't have a vest on you don't have a vest on!!!!!!" I love UPS rampers lol.

I have never heard so many mindless people yelling "You don't have a vest on you don't have a vest on!!!!!!" I love UPS rampers lol.
I've been on some UPS ramps where the vest nazis aren't around.

My favorite time is when a manager gets annoyed because you were one minute late and then the ground crew doesn't touch the plane for the next ten minutes

I've been on some UPS ramps where the vest nazis aren't around.

My favorite time is when a manager gets annoyed because you were one minute late and then the ground crew doesn't touch the plane for the next ten minutes
I've seen that exact account at least twice already. I just laughed at the guy, really!

The best Vest-Nazis I've seen was while we are in the middle of being ramp-checked, the hourly rats are getting worked into a tizzy about the Feds have the gall to stand on their ramp without a vest on.

Heh. Yeah, me too. Until this one night over...well, the story is always the same, really. "There I was over Bumscrew, KS, and I realized that it was really possible that I was going to die..." "Unable" became part of my vocabulary after that. Or the one before it. Or the one after it. Hard to remember the exact moment. It's funny, though. I'd always imagined that as I got more experience I'd get more comfortable and be able to cut it a little closer. Precisely the opposite has happened, though. As my hair gets gray, my testes migrate father and farther north. By the time I'm 65 I'm going to be deviating like a Riddle Ace flying an RJ full of nuns and orphans.

Man you hit the nail on the head.

You don't know what can kill you out there until it actually reaches out and tries to kill you. I've got the same story, but with thunderstorms/windshear. Almost ate it in the downdraft in a C-130 at full blast and nose up.

Man you hit the nail on the head.

You don't know what can kill you out there until it actually reaches out and tries to kill you. I've got the same story, but with thunderstorms/windshear. Almost ate it in the downdraft in a C-130 at full blast and nose up.

You don't know until you know, eh? Yeah. If you don't think anyone will come looking for you over it, I'm sure I speak for everyone when I say that I'd like to hear the hangar-story, though.

You don't know until you know, eh? Yeah. If you don't think anyone will come looking for you over it, I'm sure I speak for everyone when I say that I'd like to hear the hangar-story, though.

I think I've posted the story here before. It was in Iraq 3 years ago (I guess I can give more detail now!). We were heading from Balad to Al Asad, and a huge thunderstorm front was sitting about 10 miles west of the field (r/w 27, so we're looking dead ahead at it on radar). At night, everyone's on NVG's, ORAA is known for its super-bright approach lights, so its VMC on 10 mile final. We start down the ILS, and approach calls us saying they have a radar return at 7 miles...my 1950's radar is clear, and its VMC, but we see dust getting kicked up at ground level. Continue, and as soon as we hit 7 miles, all hell breaks loose (along with anything not bolted down). Worst turbulence I've ever felt, literally holding on to the airplane. You could feel the metal bend around you. About 10 seconds in, pilot calls go around and mashes the throttles. The airplane...doesn't climb. I've never, ever, in any condition, even to this day, seen a C-130 fail to climb at full power at sea level. We mushed around, and we're bouncing between 120-160 knots (from stall to gear overspeed), engineer's calling out the limits, the pilot keeps punching the throttles hoping they'll go for more, but they're at the stops. The engines are over-torquing, but we don't give a •. We stop descending around 1000ft, mush our way over the airfield, call the conditions to tower and run away back home, as t-storms build around us and make us fight through it all the way back. Airplane was grounded for 2 weeks, mx found cracks in the wings and a bunch of sheared bolts. Scared that night, and still had to climb back into the cockpit 48 hours later.

That mission took years off my life.

I can lay claim to those super bright approach lights at ORAA. Those were my guys who maintained them. At least in early '08.

The sandstorms were pretty bad, but I didn't realize the convection as well.
Semper Fi.

Back