ALL FRIEGHT PILOTS

208 with boots = piston anything with boots, no better no worse.

Don't fly a Caravan into anything you wouldn't fly into with a Barron or a Twin Cessna, and you'll be fine.

i buy that. although approach wasn't working with me and stuck me in -fzra and the tks system kept up just fine. but next time I am just going to tell approach that "this is what i am going to do, deal with it!"

Don't fly a Caravan into anything you wouldn't fly into with a Barron or a Twin Cessna, and you'll be fine.

When you are a freight dawg though, you are going regardless w=of what the weather is doing...

I was "unable" to say "no".

Heh. Yeah, me too. Until this one night over...well, the story is always the same, really. "There I was over Bumscrew, KS, and I realized that it was really possible that I was going to die..." "Unable" became part of my vocabulary after that. Or the one before it. Or the one after it. Hard to remember the exact moment. It's funny, though. I'd always imagined that as I got more experience I'd get more comfortable and be able to cut it a little closer. Precisely the opposite has happened, though. As my hair gets gray, my testes migrate father and farther north. By the time I'm 65 I'm going to be deviating like a Riddle Ace flying an RJ full of nuns and orphans.

Heh. Yeah, me too. Until this one night over...well, the story is always the same, really. "There I was over Bumscrew, KS, and I realized that it was really possible that I was going to die..." "Unable" became part of my vocabulary after that. Or the one before it. Or the one after it. Hard to remember the exact moment. It's funny, though. I'd always imagined that as I got more experience I'd get more comfortable and be able to cut it a little closer. Precisely the opposite has happened, though. As my hair gets gray, my testes migrate father and farther north. By the time I'm 65 I'm going to be deviating like a Riddle Ace flying an RJ full of nuns and orphans.

That's exactly what I've done thus far.

"Unable". Powerful word. You can say it whenever you want. Don't be shy.

i tried that, even put in the words freezing rain. next time i am saying unable and staying where I am at, if they don't like it too bad, they make NASA forms for a reason

I danced with freight for almost 2,000 hours before I put my foot down one night and said nu-uh not going. It was a particalarly lovely +FZRA night at Hopkins and myself and Van pilot from (let's call them Mom and Pop to protect the crummy company's identity). I fired up a Baron and it immediately started to spin in place on the ramp while I shut the engine back down. I said "hecks no", stepped out of the airplane and promptly fell on my butt.

After looking around to see how many people were laughing at me, I went inside and called the company and informed them of the indefinite delay. The Caravan driver was doing the same (keep in mind heavy freezing rain was falling). My phone call was 30 seconds, and the company said well that sucks but we understand. Mom and Pop Van operator started laying all sorts of lines down on the pilot, over multiple phone calls, and finally summoned him to drive into HQ, about an hour or so away (hope I didn't give away too much info there) on one of the crappiest winter nights that I have on memory. He drove. I waited, and finally took off about 6 hours late after things cleared off a bit. The entire experience made me extermely grateful to work for a company that respected your decision to say no, and not for those people over at...well nevermind.

The only other thing I'd say is if you haven't ever had the opportunity to say "NO", when that night comes it will likely be pretty obvious. Fly safe guys and gals.

I completely disagree. The 'van is far worse in ice than the Baron.

Quite possibly the same outfit that augured one of their planes in to the ground along with a pilot from another airline that was hitchin a ride. Wait. Ironically, I believe that plane is featured in the Caravan winter weather course...

The only other thing I'd say is if you haven't ever had the opportunity to say "NO", when that night comes it will likely be pretty obvious. Fly safe guys and gals.

True that.

It's somebody else's airplane, somebody else's freight, somebody else's schedule and your butt. Act accordingly.

Couldn't disagree more. I will take a Navajo before a Caravan any day of the week.

Couldn't disagree more. I will take a Navajo before a Caravan any day of the week.

The caravan is the only FIKI plane I've ever flown, so I can't give a personal comparison with other birds. But I flew it through 4 winters, and never had a problem. Now, granted I did mostly fly around the Texas and the south which is not know for bad ice like the frozen north is. OTOH, our company had 4 birds flying around Michigan and dind't have any major problems with them.

You have to keep in mind what the boots can and can NOT do for you. They are there to buy you time to get out of the ice, nothing more, nothing less. If you camp out in ice in any plane with boots, you are asking for it to do something it was never suposed to do. Also taking off with ice already on your plane is idiotic as well. Many of the crashes related to ice involve taking off with ice already on the plane. That's just stuipid.

The best anti ice system is a spine and a phone call to dispatch. Stay on the ground, delay or divert around any possible ice. That is why you are the PIC, just say NO. Yes some bottom feeder comapnies will threaten your job, but you must stand up for yourself.

As always the weak link in the airplane is the loos nut in the left seat. If you can fix that, everything else is managable. If you don't it doesn't matter how good the plane is.

I danced with freight for almost 2,000 hours before I put my foot down one night and said nu-uh not going. It was a particalarly lovely +FZRA night at Hopkins and myself and Van pilot from (let's call them Mom and Pop to protect the crummy company's identity). I fired up a Baron and it immediately started to spin in place on the ramp while I shut the engine back down. I said "hecks no", stepped out of the airplane and promptly fell on my butt.

After looking around to see how many people were laughing at me, I went inside and called the company and informed them of the indefinite delay. The Caravan driver was doing the same (keep in mind heavy freezing rain was falling). My phone call was 30 seconds, and the company said well that sucks but we understand. Mom and Pop Van operator started laying all sorts of lines down on the pilot, over multiple phone calls, and finally summoned him to drive into HQ, about an hour or so away (hope I didn't give away too much info there) on one of the crappiest winter nights that I have on memory. He drove. I waited, and finally took off about 6 hours late after things cleared off a bit. The entire experience made me extermely grateful to work for a company that respected your decision to say no, and not for those people over at...well nevermind.

You weren't properly prepared! I used to carry a pair of old school metal spike golf shoes, just for nights like you described. Put those babies on and you'd have no trouble at all walking on the iciest of ramps.

Back