Alaska Hawaiian Merger Serious Version

Realistically do you expect Horizon and Skywest to park all of the 175s and ALA starts operating 737s into Santa Rosa, SBA, and Yakima?

I think we do with the exception of YKM. I really wanted to fly into STS as it is where I was first employed as a flight instructor.

I think we do with the exception of YKM. I really wanted to fly into STS as it is where I was first employed as a flight instructor.

I did. I think there are still dents in the runway the shape of 737 main mounts :)

I remember it being a super easy downwind entry to a visual. Everything was going great crossing the runway threshold, until I forgot to not chop the thrust levers with flaps 40 like you do with flaps 30 (ok maybe not "chop" but you know what I mean). We were never at any risk of missing our LTP though........

I did. I think there are still dents in the runway the shape of 737 main mounts :)

I remember it being a super easy downwind entry to a visual. Everything was going great crossing the runway threshold, until I forgot to not chop the thrust levers with flaps 40 like you do with flaps 30 (ok maybe not "chop" but you know what I mean). We were never at any risk of missing our LTP though........

That's better than doing it on a calm wind CAVU day at ORD on a 9K runway :D

Realistically do you expect Horizon and Skywest to park all of the 175s and ALA starts operating 737s into Santa Rosa, SBA, and Yakima?
My own two cents on scope, always:

As I had to explain to some other knucklehead (not calling you a knucklehead, he just didn't see the value in going to Santa Barbara) elsewhere, I want ALL of the flying on ALL of the airplanes to ALL of the places done under OUR Agreement.

I don't care how big or small it is or where it goes, having ALL the airplanes means more jobs, it means career advancement and it means an end to the second-class citizenry of the regional airline life.

I don't expect this to ever happen, but I think it's an excellent place to start as far as scope.

As I had to explain to some other knucklehead (not calling you a knucklehead, he just didn't see the value in going to Santa Barbara) elsewhere, I want ALL of the flying on ALL of the airplanes to ALL of the places done under OUR Agreement.

I don't care how big or small it is or where it goes, having ALL the airplanes means more jobs, it means career advancement and it means an end to the second-class citizenry of the regional airline life.

I don't expect this to ever happen, but I think it's an excellent place to start as far as scope.

That’s what America West used to do in their inception. They owned and flew their own Dash-8-100s with mainline pilots, flying to NYL, FLG, GJT, among other places; just as they owned their 737s and their later A320s. Only later, did things change to Mesa and Desert Sun airlines for Beech 1900 and Fokker 70, respectively, regional service under the America West Express title.

That’s what America West used to do in their inception. They owned and flew their own Dash-8-100s with mainline pilots, flying to NYL, FLG, GJT, among other places; just as they owned their 737s and their later A320s. Only layer, did things change to Mesa and Desert Sun airlines for Beech 1900 and Fokker 70, respectively, regional service under the America West Express title.
Legacy airlines (aside from America West) historically have gone to BFE with their own equipment too. Just LONG ago, ha.

Any idea how realistic it is that Hawaiian's scope clause would be applied to the entire merged airline? This idea of bringing all the outsourced regional feed back in house strikes me as fantasy. I would think it's much more likely that the merged airline will have some sort of compromise scope clause, perhaps with the ban on outsourced regional feed applying to inter-island routes but not intra-mainland.

I've come to learn that its a bit more complicated than that. We've been threatened (by our union) recently that this could happen to us. Sounds great, all the flying in house! BUT..What do you do with the pilots over there? If they get merged in that could be really negative for anyone already at mainline especially when its "jumping the flow". Even if you did a mass flow and just snapped fingers and basically they agreed to be stapled, now you have thousands of 20 somethings on the bottom of the list, what does that do for recruitment? If you are a military guy flying F18s are you going to want to come to an airline where youll be stuck behind thousdands of younger guys, forever, and flying regional style flying in an E145 and 4-5 legs a day? Or go to another brand airline and walk into a 767 and fly to Europe? Its more complicated than it appears.

Any idea how realistic it is that Hawaiian's scope clause would be applied to the entire merged airline? This idea of bringing all the outsourced regional feed back in house strikes me as fantasy. I would think it's much more likely that the merged airline will have some sort of compromise scope clause, perhaps with the ban on outsourced regional feed applying to inter-island routes but not intra-mainland.

IMO the elephant in the room is widebody pay rates. I'm not optimistic about what will be lost to bring the HA widebody pay rates in line with the majors.

Yes I already filled out the survey and contacted my rep.

I've come to learn that its a bit more complicated than that. We've been threatened (by our union) recently that this could happen to us. Sounds great, all the flying in house! BUT..What do you do with the pilots over there? If they get merged in that could be really negative for anyone already at mainline especially when its "jumping the flow". Even if you did a mass flow and just snapped fingers and basically they agreed to be stapled, now you have thousands of 20 somethings on the bottom of the list, what does that do for recruitment? If you are a military guy flying F18s are you going to want to come to an airline where youll be stuck behind thousdands of younger guys, forever, and flying regional style flying in an E145 and 4-5 legs a day? Or go to another brand airline and walk into a 767 and fly to Europe? Its more complicated than it appears.
I have a whole ass union committee for that, and I'm just gonna let them do their thing.

If you are a military guy flying F18s are you going to want to come to an airline where youll be stuck behind thousdands of younger guys, forever, and flying regional style flying in an E145 and 4-5 legs a day? Or go to another brand airline and walk into a 767 and fly to Europe? Its more complicated than it appears.

Pay me mainline rates, with mainline benefits, and mainline work rules and I will GLADLY return to regional flying. 3-4 leg days, 90 min-ish flights, only +/- 1 time zone from base and I’ll gladly be “regional” trash for life.*

*But only if the air line lets me stay close to my west coast base and not turn me into a de facto ATL crew doing GSP turns all day like they do on the Guppy Regional Jet.

what does that do for recruitment? If you are a military guy flying F18s are you going to want to come to an airline where youll be stuck behind thousdands of younger guys, forever, and flying regional style flying in an E145 and 4-5 legs a day?

Who cares if it's an EMB-145 if you're being paid legacy rates and working under a contract with legacy work rules? It would still be one of the top jobs on the planet*. And my understanding is that plenty of pilots at the legacies currently fly 4 or 5 legs a day on the 737, A320, 717 or A220.

*And that's why pilot recruitment is a complete non-issue for the legacies anyway, and always will be. The majors probably all have more pilot applications on file than they could hire in a century, especially now that pilot hiring has slowed down so much. And even if pilot recruitment were an issue I don't see why it would be the union's responsibility to solve it.

That’s what America West used to do in their inception. They owned and flew their own Dash-8-100s with mainline pilots, flying to NYL, FLG, GJT, among other places; just as they owned their 737s and their later A320s. Only later, did things change to Mesa and Desert Sun airlines for Beech 1900 and Fokker 70, respectively, regional service under the America West Express title.
They had Dash 8s and 747s flown by mainline at the same time (early 90s).

Pay me mainline rates, with mainline benefits, and mainline work rules and I will GLADLY return to regional flying. 3-4 leg days, 90 min-ish flights, only +/- 1 time zone from base and I’ll gladly be “regional” trash for life.*

*But only if the air line lets me stay close to my west coast base and not turn me into a de facto ATL crew doing GSP turns all day like they do on the Guppy Regional Jet.

*looks confused in Alaska*

They had Dash 8s and 747s flown by mainline at the same time (early 90s).

I remember the 747s, three of them. Bad timing for a large expansion move like that in trying to Hawaii and Japan with such a small fleet of a one-off aircraft for them. Didn’t help that the first gulf war started either around that time. Their last 747 was scrapped at IGM, as I remember it being parked there for a long time.

Funny thing is, they had the smallest Second Officer list of any airline. Not sure if they used PFEs on the 74’s.

Legacy airlines (aside from America West) historically have gone to BFE with their own equipment too. Just LONG ago, ha.

By long ago, I think you mean in this millennium. My retired almost 20 years ago Uncle, NWA DC-9 Capt (ex-Republic), had a lot of those "BFE" destinations on his pairings - I remember seeing one that had a lot of the airports that I flew into when I was a RJ guy during the early part of this century in the midwest.

Recruitment is not a you problem, it's a management problem.

Respectfully, the Union doesn't run the airline. It negotiates a contract and protects the provisions of the current working agreement. It's duty is to the current members, within the scope of policy.

Back