Alaska Airlines is hiring

They must have found some people to fill the positions. I just got an email yesterday with the "Thanks but no thanks"

Belgiumania - Congratulations! Happy to hear you landed your dream job. Maybe I will come join the ranks with ya the next time they look to hire. I missed out on the window...oh well. When do you start?

Congrats, once I heard on the forum that external applicants were interviewing for a few weeks I knew I didn't get it at that point. I also got my no thanks on Sunday night. At least they sent one soon rather than some carriers!

Congrats Belgiumania!! Super happy for you, as that is my dream job as well. Maybe once I get some experience under my belt you can put it in good word for me...hint hint :)

Do they take a lot of QX people or a good bit of external?

QX folks seem happy where they are. The priority is always for internal hiring but they do go external if they have to and I would expect them to with this window considering it will be a big class by AS standards.

Don't bother applying if you are over 45 YO.

I applied 3 years ago. I felt I did the interview part extraordinarily well and the paper test was 100% correct. When they called me 2 weeks later to tell me they were not pursuing me further I took an opportunity to ask them why, after all GUYS shouldn't we have the right to know why?

The HR person hesitated for about 10 seconds and then said I was under qualified, I then mentioned "even with 9 years experience?" and then asked them what I could do to improve that for the next time. She then stumbled all over herself trying to right the statement and couldn't but quickly thanked me for meeting with them and wished me luck.

A friend of mine who is in HR asked me what the average seniority of AS in DX was and I said 17.5 years. He said DUDE its likely because of your age and sad there is no way you can prove it. They want likely 27-35 YO to start so they can keep them for at least 20 years.

I applied today anyhow to see if they call me back, hopefully the three crumb jobs I have taken since then will not make me look like I am a job jumper.

Last edited:
Don't bother applying if you are over 45 YO.

I applied 3 years ago. I felt I did the interview part extraordinarily well and the paper test was 100% correct. When they called me 2 weeks later to tell me they were not pursuing me further I took an opportunity to ask them why, after all GUYS shouldn't we have the right to know why?

The HR person hesitated for about 10 seconds and then said I was under qualified, I then mentioned "even with 9 years experience?" and then asked them what I could do to improve that for the next time. She then stumbled all over herself trying to right the statement and couldn't but quickly thanked me for meeting with them and wished me luck.

A friend of mine who is in HR asked me what the average seniority of AS in DX was and I said 17.5 years. He said DUDE its likely because of your age and sad there is no way you can prove it. They want likely 27-35 YO to start so they can keep them for at least 20 years.

I applied today anyhow to see if they call me back, hopefully the three crumb jobs I have taken since then will not make me look like I am a job jumper.

I applied at 35 when they started hiring. Nothing so far. Best of luck to you. At least you got an interview.

So bummed I don't have my license yet--studying now for my written/practical. Good luck to all that apply!

I'm in the same boat as you auburn95, still studying to get my license...

What's a "reserve dispatcher" anyway? Seems to me from the job description it sounds like an assistant dispatcher position...does Alaska do like some of the other carriers and start you off as basically an assistant until you pass all your checks and everything?

For all practical purposes, a Reserve Dispatcher is just a Dispatcher whose schedule can be changed with a day's notice. Pretty much everything else is exactly the same.

For all practical purposes, a Reserve Dispatcher is just a Dispatcher whose schedule can be changed with a day's notice. Pretty much everything else is exactly the same.

Sounds like life at the bottom of the seniority list at a Regional...

Back