AirTran 717 new paintjob

Admit it. You like the paint job. Don't be jealous. ;)

The paint job is cool, I'll give you that. What I do like more is the money my company makes on flying these charters. Plus, I've flown a few NFL charters, they are good flying, better than even international flying.

The paint job is cool, I'll give you that. What I do like more is the money my company makes on flying these charters. Plus, I've flown a few NFL charters, they are good flying, better than even international flying.

I actually hate the charter flying, and I specifically stay off of the charter roster so I don't have to deal with it. I prefer my nice scheduled service where everything is routine and no surprises pop up. But whatever floats your boat.

As far as charters, though, I would imagine that we're doing quite a bit more profitable charter flying than Delta is. We've picked up tons of the Apple Vacations and Funjet charters that USA 3000 used to be doing, and we also have military charters, sports team charters, and the occasional press charter.

As far as charters, though, I would imagine that we're doing quite a bit more profitable charter flying than Delta is.

You seriously believe that?

Delta logs busiest charter day ever
October 12, 2009

Delta logged a new one-day charter record Sunday, with more than 60 charter flights carrying 36 sports teams and two military units.
Six teams from the National Football League, 11 from the National Basketball Association and four from Major League Baseball were among Delta’s Sunday charter guests, crisscrossing the U.S. to dozens of football, basketball and baseball games.
“Fall is always an exciting season for Delta as we earn revenues from our growing charter business while scheduled passenger volumes are slower,” said Bill Wernecke, director-Charter Operations. “We are on track to complete the busiest fall charter season in Delta’s history, thanks to the increased fleet flexibility provided by the merger and our employees on the ground and in the air who continue to deliver great service to charter customers.”
Teams traveling this past weekend included six Major League Baseball teams contending for division titles – the Los Angeles Dodgers, Minnesota Twins, New York Yankees, Philadelphia Phillies, Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim and Boston Red Sox.
To date, Delta has a lock on carrying three of the four division playoff finalists for Major League Baseball’s division series. A Phillies win Monday against the Colorado Rockies would result in all four playoff teams flying Delta exclusively to and from their playoff games, and ultimately the 2009 World Series.

There was a memo that came out about how many millions DL makes off of charters.

You seriously believe that?

Yep. With all of the Funjet and Apple Vacations flying, we're doing a massive amount of charter flying now. I have no doubt that DAL is doing more of the sports team charters, but when looking at an entire year, I would bet that we're doing more charter flights overall.

Why are two professional pilots competing in a pissing match over whose airline is better over an internet forum?

Yep. With all of the Funjet and Apple Vacations flying, we're doing a massive amount of charter flying now. I have no doubt that DAL is doing more of the sports team charters, but when looking at an entire year, I would bet that we're doing more charter flights overall.

Which do you think pays more though? I seriously doubt you guys are charging for or catering your charters like we do. And that cost is passed straight through to the customer.

I see the Eagle plane in airways paint and I must say I like it a lot! I hate the Eagles but the paint job is right on. Now if we can find a Raider plane things would be grrrrrrrrrrrrreat.

Air Asia has and Oakland Raiders plane. Saw it in Los Angeles last week.

Question about Delta / AirTran charters - are you guys limited to the same destinations as your regular routes?

Question about Delta / AirTran charters - are you guys limited to the same destinations as your regular routes?

Can't answer for AAI, but I've flown charters at DL under part 91, so no, we can go anywhere. As for military charters, there is a list of military bases we have PPR to operate from.

Which do you think pays more though? I seriously doubt you guys are charging for or catering your charters like we do. And that cost is passed straight through to the customer.

I can't really comment on how much we make, but the charter operation is very profitable. There's a reason that we've actually moved airplanes from scheduled service to put them on the international charter runs.

No, we go to a lot of places that don't normally get served by scheduled service.

I'm presuming you mean Part 135?

:confused:

Part 121 supplemental is probably what he means. The empty legs would be operated 91.

We'll be doing a Baltimore Ravens and Indy Colts paint scheme to go along with this Falcons bird soon. Hope they look as good as this one.

Steve, I don't fly for Delta or AAI, but at our company all charters are Supplemental 121. We can fly to any airport approved for our airplane.

Part 121 supplemental is probably what he means. The empty legs would be operated 91.

No, I'm not that stupid:D, I mean actual live legs under Part 91. We were specifically told that even though the flight was part 91, all 121 security regs were in effect. ie, we still had to lock the cockpit. On 91 positioning legs, we don't have to.

No, I'm not that stupid:D, I mean actual live legs under Part 91. We were specifically told that even though the flight was part 91, all 121 security regs were in effect. ie, we still had to lock the cockpit. On 91 positioning legs, we don't have to.
Interesting...how did Southernjets get that approved? I'm referring specifically to live charter legs under 91.

I am curious how Delta does that as well, I would think it would be 121 sup for the live legs and the repo/ferry are under 91 - that's how AirTran operates theirs.

I am curious how Delta does that as well, I would think it would be 121 sup for the live legs and the repo/ferry are under 91 - that's how AirTran operates theirs.

Actually, apparently I am THAT stupid! I went back and looked at the paperwork I kept, seems I was wrong. Mea Culpa.

Actually, apparently I am THAT stupid! I went back and looked at the paperwork I kept, seems I was wrong. Mea Culpa.
Hey don't be so hard on yourself - I just figured Delta found a way around the regs to work the crew longer hours!:D

Back