Airport Car

Sadly the Airport Beater's demise continues...

IMG_4270.jpg

IMG_4269.jpg

Wait, I’m fascinated by this. Say more words… how did you do this?
It's really simple. Hook up speaker wires, plug in the unit, power up, connect via Bluetooth.

I used it in my basement wood shop. I had speakers down there, but they were fed from an upstairs-located amplifier which I fed music wirelessly via an old Apple TV unit. Worked fine, but cumbersome, and tied up my A/V amplifier. This cheap little solution works good, with a few minor Bluetooth connection issues (only if I leave the unit powered up and come back a day later - sometimes it's finicky reconnecting. Turn Off, back On takes care of it.)

Here's the unit mounted to a ceiling joist...

11A17292-864F-4670-8608-AE8CA16B7024.jpeg

Love the car. The only thing that would prevent me from getting another one when it dies is a suitable EV, and that only because there's a LOT of charging stations in the employee garage at IAD.
they havent kicked you guys out of garage 2 yet?

Want to end up at Gitmo or Supermax? Because stiffing any state governmental entity of dollars owed to them, is how you end up in those places. They seemingly treat failure to pay them what they are owed, worse than murder. :)

they havent kicked you guys out of garage 2 yet?

Nope, Amazon is still using the far lots for staging, so for the time being, we're still in garage 2.

Where, just by the walkway on level 3, you have Tesla Row....

Dude, story time!
Sadly not very exciting, no sharks or lasers were involved. Neighbor's son's girlfriend backed into it. She actually left a note which was impressive these days.

Problem is, she wants to keep it out of insurance which is fine but the repair is more than the value of the car. So if she claims it, they'll total it and it'll likely have a salvage title then. One way or another we'll be made whole but trying to sort it all out without being awkward.

Nope, Amazon is still using the far lots for staging, so for the time being, we're still in garage 2.

Where, just by the walkway on level 3, you have Tesla Row....
ya Pacific blvd(?) lot still closed but mainline gets punted out to green lot next week

ya Pacific blvd(?) lot still closed but mainline gets punted out to green lot next week

Whoa. Really hope they don't do that to us. It's one of the few perks we have to offset the hunger-games-like battles for flight time whilst trying to consolidate.

GTIs are cool. I had a Rabbit with the 2.5 5-cylinder for a while and it was a fun little car. Sounded exactly like half of a V-10 Lamborghini at full throttle. I did wish some days that I had gotten a GTI because the performance difference is staggering. If you're handy with working on cars I would absolutely go for it. Get a V A G -C O M compatible scan tool and it will make your life so much easier chasing down the inevitable electrical issues. I used OBDEleven and it was a life saver for a reasonable price. Still have it in my tool chest in case I ever get another VW. Besides the diagnostics the scanners allow you to geek out on live data feed and even program every single thing you can think of and run all the functional tests. All the dealership functionality for under $100. Also FCP Euro is the go to place for German car parts. They have everything you will ever need with a lifetime warranty. If you're going to have a shop do everything there are better airport cars out there that will cause less annoyances. The drivetrain is solid but it's all the other stuff (especially electrical) that can potentially drive you crazy.

I'm more of a Toyota guy. I bought a 2004 Lexus ES330 early last year for $3500 that was kind of ugly on the exterior, needed a bit of mechanical work but with good bones. Fixed up the few minor things, minted out the interior, but didn't touch any of the faded paint, scratches, scrapes, dings, and chips on the exterior so it fits right in at Camp Creek. Been rock solid ever since and while I don't really like how it drives, it's a familiar platform and parts are so cheap that for an airport beater it's perfect.

Thanks @luke3 , great information all around. If I could find an old Lexus around here for a reasonable amount, I'd do it in a heartbeat. There's just nothing really available here for the kind of money you paid.

I'm not really much of a wrench turner but the electrical stuff I'd be comfortable playing with. (I am getting better having fixed up an old BMW f650GS recently) If I get the ride, I'll definitely take your advice on the OBDEleven!

Can you recommend a forum for brains to pick should I get the car?

Thanks @luke3 , great information all around. If I could find an old Lexus around here for a reasonable amount, I'd do it in a heartbeat. There's just nothing really available here for the kind of money you paid.

I'm not really much of a wrench turner but the electrical stuff I'd be comfortable playing with. (I am getting better having fixed up an old BMW f650GS recently) If I get the ride, I'll definitely take your advice on the OBDEleven!

Can you recommend a forum for brains to pick should I get the car?
VW Vortex forums have a wealth of information. I guess partly related to the tuner culture around these cars there's so much collective knowledge on the forums down to the most obscure details. Finding a Toyota Tech Stream scanner for home without paying thousands of dollars was much more work than the VW counterpart. And parts are surprisingly cheap

Sadly not very exciting, no sharks or lasers were involved. Neighbor's son's girlfriend backed into it. She actually left a note which was impressive these days.

Problem is, she wants to keep it out of insurance which is fine but the repair is more than the value of the car. So if she claims it, they'll total it and it'll likely have a salvage title then. One way or another we'll be made whole but trying to sort it all out without being awkward.

That’s an annoying bummer, though I agree, it is pretty cool that there are youngsters (or just people in general) with that kind of honesty and respect for others.

I had a similar incident in college....parked my car at a friend’s house while we went out of town for something. Came back, it was dark, their driveway was long and also dark, so i had parked at the U library to study and come back out to car before i noticed the pax door was bashed in. Unfortunately, in this case nobody left a note. Only found out about it because one of this friend’s roommate ran her mouth about what she had done. He told me, and I gave her a call. She ignored me and my message. Called a few more times and nothing. Then I called and left a message that i would be reporting it as a hit and run. I think it was less than 5 mins before she called me back. I didn’t really give her the business, but she also said she wanted to keep it out of insurance. By then I’d dropped it off at a body shop and the appraisal was complete. Her fantasy that she had just scuffed my door evaporated when I told her it was going to be $5000+ all in. She quickly gave me her insurance info and all was good. Cool story i know, i can tell it again if you guys want :)

Back