Airport Car

You can take a lot of Uber rides for the price of a decent used car these days, and not have to worry about any of the registration BS being discussed above.

I had this same thought, especially if your mass transit options for airport transport are good, too. That said, there is a lot to be said for the convenience and privacy of your own transport. I think that's where the real value prop is.

What will happen to your vehicle registration status if you just don’t get the car inspected in NY? I got my crash pad car in a state that also requires yearly inspections in 2019. Here we are approaching 2023 and all I got was a couple of emails reminding me to get a new sticker. Still have a valid registration though.

What will happen to your vehicle registration status if you just don’t get the car inspected in NY? I got my crash pad car in a state that also requires yearly inspections in 2019. Here we are approaching 2023 and all I got was a couple of emails reminding me to get a new sticker. Still have a valid registration though.

in NYS registrations only last 2 years and cannot be renewed without an inspection in the last 12 months. So I could stretch out this issue but not for very long.

You can take a lot of Uber rides for the price of a decent used car these days, and not have to worry about any of the registration BS being discussed above.
I had this same thought, especially if your mass transit options for airport transport are good, too. That said, there is a lot to be said for the convenience and privacy of your own transport. I think that's where the real value prop is.

Lyft and Ubers aren't cheap in MCO, and nothing is close to the airport, even one of the closer crash pads is about $20 each way, and even then you'll need wheels to go grab food somewhere. Hence the want for an airport car. The freedom is what I'm willing to pay for, and even with a more than cheap priced used car, I'd still come out around even.

I'm currently ORD based. After midnight the blue line stops picking up at ORD (yet you can still take the train TO the airport......) So its a bus transfer to Rosemont and catch the train there. PITA right? yes. Lets take an uber! For about the last 2 years any late night pickup at ORD has been surge pricing. It's usually between $55-$75 to goto Jefferson Park! 8 Miles, one way, after midnight. Now I'm not a cheap person, but even that is just ridiculous.

currently ORD based. After midnight the blue line stops picking up at ORD (yet you can still take the train TO the airport......) So its a bus transfer to Rosemont and catch the train there. PITA right? yes. Lets take an uber! For about the last 2 years any late night pickup at ORD has been surge pricing. It's usually between $55-$75 to goto Jefferson Park! 8 Miles, one way, after midnight. Now I'm not a cheap person, but even that is just ridiculous.

Get a cab, fixed price of $42 from ORD to the city, I’m not sure if Jefferson park is cheaper but it might be. Using the Curb app to pay makes it even easier.

Also no waiting around for your Uber to show up, just walk to the cab stand and hop in, assuming there’s no line that late at night.

Get a cab, fixed price of $42 from ORD to the city, I’m not sure if Jefferson park is cheaper but it might be. Using the Curb app to pay makes it even easier.

Also no waiting around for your Uber to show up, just walk to the cab stand and hop in, assuming there’s no line that late at night.
I can’t believe it’s still only $42 to go to the city. I say “only“ because that’s the same price it was in 1998!

in NYS registrations only last 2 years and cannot be renewed without an inspection in the last 12 months. So I could stretch out this issue but not for very long.

One solution, if you don’t want to do a round trip in your airport car every other year could be to buy a car, get it inspected and registered, then take it to your pilot base. Now you have an airport car for 2 years and when the registration is about to expire you can sell it locally and start the process again.

Not sure about NYS rules, but in PA vehicles over 25 years can be registered once as an antique and never require PA inspection again. Not sure your level of comfort with that in terms of elderly vehicle purchase for use ( as in lack of safety equipment, reliability, repair etc. compared to a something made in the last decade.)

Also, there's limits to use on those plates too, but I see quite a few folks violating those so not sure about enforcement. I could see an FL cop raising an eyebrow on something with NY antique plates, but maybe the part-time FL folks get away with it?

Not sure about NYS rules, but in PA vehicles over 25 years can be registered once as an antique and never require PA inspection again. Not sure your level of comfort with that in terms of elderly vehicle purchase for use ( as in lack of safety equipment, reliability, repair etc. compared to a something made in the last decade.)

Also, there's limits to use on those plates too, but I see quite a few folks violating those so not sure about enforcement. I could see an FL cop raising an eyebrow on something with NY antique plates, but maybe the part-time FL folks get away with it?

Still subject to yearly safety inspections, only emissions exempt after 25 years.

Yes NYS sucks, I'm stuck here till death or divorce :p

Still subject to yearly safety inspections, only emissions exempt after 25 years.

Yes NYS sucks, I'm stuck here till death or divorce :p

Well, you're never going to borrow my woodchipper! :)

(Kidding, I kid I kid!)

Bringing a little life into this one...again
I thought I had seen some posts some time ago regarding the VW GTI. I searched for GTI but didn't see any. My google foo is not strong....

Have an opportunity to buy a 2013 GTI 4door, auto transmission with 140,000 on it at the low end of Blue Book and in decent shape.
Looking for something to run back and forth to the sEWeR, my truck has been hit-&-run now twice in the employee parking lot there. Also the VW would get better mileage.

Anyone have experience with this ride?

While not a GTI I have a 2014 Jetta 1.8T that I bought new for commuting across NJ when I was based there. I have 100k on it now and here are my observations of 9 years of VW ownership. I can't speak to the DSG transmission that the GTI has so check the VW forums on that.

The windshield wipers suck, too slow to keep up while commuting at speed in the rain out there. I kept mine RainXed and it helped a bunch.

Oil consumption is another VW bugaboo, they say that it is ok to consume 1qt per 1500 miles or something close to that. I haven't had it that bad but I have to add a quart every 3000 or so miles. It uses synthetic oil and VW service intervals are every 10,000 miles.

Last summer mine stated misbehaving in high temperatures, it would hesitate and then it eventually stalled and the EPC light came on. Running the heater helped get it going again and once I was at highway speeds I could turn the AC back on and it was fine. I googled a bit and saw it was a recurring thing as they age 300-500 repair is what the going rate seemed to be. If it acts up again this summer I'll break down and fix it.

Soy based electrical wiring. This was more of a problem when I was living in Montana as I wasn't driving it as much but rabbits got into it and went to town on the wiring harness. The repair shop I took it to said they see it all the time in VW/Audis.

Overall I've been really happy with it, no squeaks or rattles and besides the rodent and warm weather issues recently I have had no issues with it. I get upper 30s mpg highway and 30ish overall. And was way nicer commuting down I-78 and 287 in that vs my old Grand Cherokee that had to wheeze its way into traffic out there.

Bringing a little life into this one...again
I thought I had seen some posts some time ago regarding the VW GTI. I searched for GTI but didn't see any. My google foo is not strong....

Have an opportunity to buy a 2013 GTI 4door, auto transmission with 140,000 on it at the low end of Blue Book and in decent shape.
Looking for something to run back and forth to the sEWeR, my truck has been hit-&-run now twice in the employee parking lot there. Also the VW would get better mileage.

If the price is right, it's hard to beat. I have a 2016 GTI. I think in 2012 they fixed the potential timing-chain-failure-eat-the-engine bug, but you'd have to double check that. Not a guarantee that it WOULD happen to you (if your car was older) but it's an expensive gotcha that that car is vulnerable to. The motor is a lot of fun - stomp on the gas and the turbo spins up quick and the car livens up quite a bit. Low, handles great.

This is my 2nd GTI, but third Golf, and I had a couple of Jettas in the past, too.

In the beginning, I was slightly concerned about maintenance for this GTI - my old '87 was pretty reliable until it ate the clutch.

I bought the current 2016 GTI almost 4 years ago with 55K on it. It's got 120K on it now and the only thing I've had to do are regular oil changes, tires, and replacing bulbs. I did do the plug wires at 100K per spec but I don't necessarily think it was required at the time. I haven't noticed oil burn....I just have the oil changed every 5000 mi and it's been happy. I bought a small tire inflator that I keep in the back and check the pressures regularly - it definitely affects the mileage, but that's most cars, yeah? Probably coming up on brake pads and maybe rotors.

The DSG is fine - I never use the paddle shift features, just treat it like a normal automatic. It's a bit aggressive at idle if you don't keep your foot on the brake but other than that, it's fine. It's a great little car, I basically drove it to/from JYO every day and now to/from IAD. Get 34.6 MPG average. Fold the seats down and it's cavernous. Have hauled plywood, 2x4s, groceries, just about everything....it's got amazing capacity, and when the seats are in normal position, it's a humane position for passengers. It's easily the best bang for the buck I've ever had in a car.

Love the car. The only thing that would prevent me from getting another one when it dies is a suitable EV, and that only because there's a LOT of charging stations in the employee garage at IAD.

Last edited:
My airport car is a 2005 Pontiac Vibe. It’s only got 140,000 miles on it because all it does is drive to the airport and back. Barely even broken in!

Back