Airport Car

skypilot6

I'm looking at a base change to MCO in a few months. With Public Transportation being limited to just Bus Service, and the cost of frequent lyft/uber I am wanting to purchase an airport car. I'll be a junior lienholder so commutable trips will most likely pretty rare.

I live in NY, its a 20 hour drive from home to MCO, and NYS requires annual safety inspections. So in trying to avoid purchasing a car at home and driving it to MCO, I'd like to purchase in FL, register, insure, and keep it there. Everything I am seeing is that I need to be a Fl resident to do this, but I won't be changing my residency to FL.

So has anyone bought, registered, and insured an airport car out of state, and if so how did you do it?

I am unfortunately well versed in resolving tag and title issues due to my previous career field. Unless you are active duty military, there is no way around it. You will need to tag and title and title the car in New York and make a trip home with for the annual inspection

FC601C68-3D66-4FEF-886F-91F61BF95345.jpeg

If he has children in NY state schools, they’d have a field day.

Catches airline pilots allllllllllllll the time.
The amount of people who genuinely said "just list your crashpad as your residence, bro!" is mind blowing. Yeah, I'll stick with the occasional pain of CA taxes versus you know, jail.

For OP, I'm seeing a lot of stuff that says you don't have to be a resident to register a car in FL. It's a big ask to assume the DMV down there is staffed and functional, but it could be worth reaching out to the DMV. I've moved a few times and found there's a lot of conflicting and flat out wrong info about car registration on different websites out there. Ended up costing me several hundred dollars a couple years back because the previous state didn't "get the memo" that I'd moved and wanted their cut.

why not change your residency? Florida has no income tax. That is like giving yourself a 5%+ raise

I've talked to several people that had done exactly just that, NYS makes this VERY difficult to accomplish. A tax audit is almost guaranteed every year, providing proof of travel, expenses, fl residency ect ect ect. Accountant and lawyer fees can wipe out any tax advantages, at what I make it would almost be a wash.

I am unfortunately well versed in resolving tag and title issues due to my previous career field. Unless you are active duty military, there is no way around it. You will need to tag and title and title the car in New York and make a trip home with for the annual inspection

View attachment 68103

That's more or less the answer I'm looking for, it's been a while since i've done a true roadtrip.

I've talked to several people that had done exactly just that, NYS makes this VERY difficult to accomplish. A tax audit is almost guaranteed every year, providing proof of travel, expenses, fl residency ect ect ect. Accountant and lawyer fees can wipe out any tax advantages, at what I make it would almost be a wash.
Isn’t it essentially illegal?

So I was in the process of researching how to do title and register in Montana. I have a customer that used to title his cars there. @amorris311 asked me how so many people title their cars in South Dakota that don't live there. I did a quick search and it appears you do not have to have a SD drivers license or pass an inspection in order to get South Dakota tags. May be something worth looking into.

The amount of people who genuinely said "just list your crashpad as your residence, bro!" is mind blowing. Yeah, I'll stick with the occasional pain of CA taxes versus you know, jail.

For OP, I'm seeing a lot of stuff that says you don't have to be a resident to register a car in FL. It's a big ask to assume the DMV down there is staffed and functional, but it could be worth reaching out to the DMV. I've moved a few times and found there's a lot of conflicting and flat out wrong info about car registration on different websites out there. Ended up costing me several hundred dollars a couple years back because the previous state didn't "get the memo" that I'd moved and wanted their cut.

I am pretty sure you don't have to, and it's not breaking any laws.
(obviously, check the laws beforehand)

Isn’t it essentially illegal?

No, getting your 6 months and 1 day in FL to claim residency to avoid state income taxes is a very common practice among wealthy people. Obviously there are hurdles to clear to make it happen, and for me it's more hassle than it would be worth.

You just need to get a proper jalopy and keep printing temp tags that don't actually mean anything anywhere. Drive short, lasts long time. Make sure the tail lights work though

What would it take to start an LLC or something in Florida, it buys a car and then you lease it from the Florida LLC.

That seems doable, but I have no idea how much of a PITA that would be to maintain.

No, getting your 6 months and 1 day in FL to claim residency to avoid state income taxes is a very common practice among wealthy people. Obviously there are hurdles to clear to make it happen, and for me it's more hassle than it would be worth.
Yeah, I’m sure those people can afford fancy enough lawyers and accountants that handle all the pain in the butt aspects of that kind of thing.

You can take a lot of Uber rides for the price of a decent used car these days, and not have to worry about any of the registration BS being discussed above.

So I was in the process of researching how to do title and register in Montana. I have a customer that used to title his cars there. @amorris311 asked me how so many people title their cars in South Dakota that don't live there. I did a quick search and it appears you do not have to have a SD drivers license or pass an inspection in order to get South Dakota tags. May be something worth looking into.

You'd be surprised at the number of high end vehicles and supercars registered in Montana, and not sure if a LaFerrari will be your airport beater or not, but worth looking into even for that 20 year old Corolla that will never have to be inspected in your home state.

The only thing about Montana that is cheaper is that there isn't any sales tax up there. Registration and tags are several hundred dollars depending on what your vehicle is worth. That article is a bit off, I think my truck was $500ish last year when it was new. The cool thing is if you have an old beater that is over 10 years old and you plan on keeping it forever you can put permanent plates on it and never have to register it again. Costs about 3X annual, works great for old ranch trucks and dirt road beaters.

Back