Airplane identification question

DanTheMan

went flying this morning and saw a couple of planes I didn't recognize:

one was a single-engine, low-wing, little bigger than a cherokee, but the weird thing was that the horizontal stabalizer was about half way up the vertical stabalizer. sound familiar to anyone?

the other was a 182 but it appeared that the nose gear was retractable, but the main gear was fixed and had wheel fairings. any one seen this before? is it common?
Thanks

First one sounds like a Commander, no clue on the second.

1977%20C1.jpg

Commander 114

The second one could be a C206 or maybe a C210. I believe one of them has the the retractable nose gear and thats it.

Maybe I am dead wrong though and just really really tired.

I know Cessna has a 182 Retractable Gear Version, but I think everything retracts when the gear is cycled...

All 3 retract on the 210. If the main gear has pants on, then it's something the owner put on and and just doesn't retract the gear. Can't have pants on a retract. That's my only suggestion.

Ray

[ QUOTE ]
yeah that's it!
laugh.gif
Guess I was wrong about it being a 182.
frown.gif

Any Idea why only the nose gear retracts?
confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Early 206s and 210s share the same lower cowling, with the big bulge, seen in the picture above. The nose gear on the 210 (as well as the "spring steel" mains) retract. The 206s are all "fixed." More than likely, it was a C206 with the wheel pants removed from only the nose tire. People do this to avoid damage to the nose pant during towing.

Wanna see something odd? Check out the "fixed gear" Skymasters. Yes, they do exist. I think it is a C336.

Radar pod for the weather radar.

Stormscope is just an antenna. Radar and stormscope are two completely different concepts entirely.

The 205 is a predecessor to the 206, and has a smaller engine. The 207 is basically a stretched version of a 206, and sort of looks like a piston-powered Caravan. I'm not exactly sure of the difference between a 206 and a U206. All of the above are fixed gear, and piston powered, although I've seen a 207 with a turboprop conversion.

[ QUOTE ]
Wanna see something odd? Check out the "fixed gear" Skymasters. Yes, they do exist. I think it is a C336.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep... Cessna 336 Skymaster is the fixed gear, while the 337 is the retract. I'd love to fly me an "oscar deuce."

Back