Airpark home

bimmerphile

Sidestick Wiggler
Anyone live in an airpark? I imagine resale would be a bit of an issue, any other pros or cons worth mentioning?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I lived at Pilots Haven (2OK2) in Oklahoma (Newalla, east of Tinker AFB) for awhile.

No real issue with resale, more than half the folks there weren't pilots and used their hangars for RVs, woodshops, plumbing business, etc....

Only drawback we had was we were all on Well water, so having fuel on-site was banned as a leak would be devastating.

Sometimes visitors were freaked out by an airplane taxiing down the street.....

I would like to, but I can't afford it. We have 2 airparks in town and a craptastic house with no hangar (what in the world is the point of living at an airpark with no hangar) start at about 330k. With hangar is more like 500k. Except for the ones that are above 1mil, they sell in a few days.

I would like to, but I can't afford it. We have 2 airparks in town and a craptastic house with no hangar (what in the world is the point of living at an airpark with no hangar) start at about 330k. With hangar is more like 500k. Except for the ones that are above 1mil, they sell in a few days.

Gawd ... that's pretty much a raised ranch on a cul-de-sac around here

500k gets you an ok house with no runway/hangar in a lot of places.

Bay Area?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
yep. Its gotten absolutely ridiculous in the last 15 years. I grew up here and would love to stay, but I just can't realistically envision a way to make it work. I have friends that commute 2 hours each way to work because they could only spend $400k on a house.....thats right, $400k and they still have a 4 hour daily commute.

yep. Its gotten absolutely ridiculous in the last 15 years. I grew up here and would love to stay, but I just can't realistically envision a way to make it work. I have friends that commute 2 hours each way to work because they could only spend $400k on a house.....thats right, $400k and they still have a 4 hour daily commute.

DC hasn't gotten THAT bad but it's well on its way. At least the weather is amazing out there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

One of the reasons I'm moving from Las Vegas to Florida, I can't afford anything here, but there I can buy land and/or a house. I've shopped the local airparks there, need invention money. And for those prices, I'd want one with a beach.

One of the reasons I'm moving from Las Vegas to Florida, I can't afford anything here, but there I can buy land and/or a house. I've shopped the local airparks there, need invention money. And for those prices, I'd want one with a beach.

Pretty cheap land here at Sandy Creek Airpark outside Panama City. Sits right on the edge of the Tyndall AFB Class D so you're getting buzzed by F-22's and T-38's all day long.

http://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/Airway-Saint_FL_32404_M51875-48670

An airpark is intriguing. A common runway, facilities, etc.

I will say my Grandpa had a turf strip, a hanger and another outbuilding for tractors, parts, etc. I would not replicate that deal at all. You end up spending all of your time mowing and maintaining as opposed to flying and other stuff. It worked out because I was around a ton during the summer, but still - it sounds a lot neater than the reality. An airpark sounds like a much better compromise. I got started on the tractor when I was 9. Next year he got a new John Deere that had a switch in the seat that sensed weight. I wasn't heavy enough to keep the motor running until we found weights to put on the seat I could sit on (lots of ankle weights. Not comfy but I got the runway mowed.

We just moved to one in April and I love it. Its a smaller airpark just outside of Cincinnati with a 3000 foot grass strip. My wife and I both have a lot of options for our careers in this area so we decided not to worry about the resale, hopefully we will be here for 30 years and it will have served its purpose. I love being able to come home after work at midnight and spend an hour or two working on the plane. All my tools are now in one place, not scattered between the garage, hangar, truck, plane etc. Taxing down your driveway and landing at home is awesome, nothing like looking at the sky, thinking I want to go flying and being in the air 15 mins later.

It sounds like this place has had its fair share of issues with neighbors and people not getting along but so far everyone has been easy going and its been nice being able to chat airplanes with the neighbors or borrow a tool if you need one. If things get too heated, Ill just hang out in the hangar, no one says you have to be social. I'm sure the dynamics here are a bit different with only 15 or so places on 5+ acre lots; people are probably less concerned with what their neighbors are doing since they are not right on top of them.

I'd say go for it if you can but I'm still new to it myself so take my advice lightly

I grew up on a runway. My parents bought just before real estate skyrocketed up here. Now you can’t find anything much less than 900k on the runway, but everything in the surrounding neighborhoods seem to be 400k or more.

Last edited:
Back