AirNet Systems, Inc.

pilotjww

Anyone have any experience working or flying for AirNet Systems? I'm curious about AirNet's pilot population age, what works well for pilots at AirNet, and how life is working at night.

I don't work for AirNet, but I've spoken to one pilot who did/does (used to be a member of this site, but haven't seen him around in quite some time).

He said that AirNet is a great company to work for. He said that it takes a little getting used to the schedule (flying at night/sleeping during the day), but the company is very "employee" conscious.

They are fair to their employees. The maintenance is outstanding, and you get all the IFR and multi time you can handle.

He said the downside is (a) the schedule, and (b)the starting pay. But, the benefits are very good.... and the company is growing.

My instructor is interviewing with them, so if I hear anything else... I'll drop you a line.

Hope that helps a little.

R2F

I have a friend who flys for Airnet here in Columbus, OH. He flies a learjet for them and is generally transporting radioactive material for Nuclear Medicine. Their webpage has a good deal of information. www.airnet.com

I have some questions ORDFO:

1. What was the company like to work for? (i.e. - did you enjoy it? Do they take care of their employees?, etc.)

2. How long did you work for them?

3. What kind of equipment did you (a) start out on; and (b) end up in?

4. What are the expected upgrade times from piston twin to Lear F/O?

5. Where do you see the company in five years?

6. How many hours did you have when you were hired by them? (I realized times have changed and the competitive mins are much higher)

7. The site says that they will pay for one prop move and one jet move - is that TOTAL expeneses are partial?

8. How long were you at each base?

9. How easy is it to bid into a desired base?

and lastly;

10. If you had to do it all over again - would you work for them again? (and/or would you recommend them?)

Thanks in advance. Any information you can assist with would be greatly appreciated!

R2F

Good questions R2F...I'm looking forward to seeing the answers. I already have an app. on file with them, and meet the competitive time for ERAU students/grads (which I am), but haven't heard back yet.

Eatsleep - good luck! They ARE hiring. That much I know. My instructors interview went *pretty* well - not as well as he had hoped on the sim - he got frustrated and it showed - and he's waiting to hear back. He's already received an e-mail from Washka saying "Call me!" but, they have been playing phone tag.

I've had my eye on AirNet for quite some time. I like what I see. I've got about 300+ hours before I can even APPLY
wink.gif
, so it'll be quite some time until I get there, but it never hurts to look ahead and have a plan.

Right?

Good luck! And I am most DEFINITELY looking forward to ORDFO's response!!

R2F

Here are the answers to your questions

1. Overall i enjoyed working there, it's not a bad place for your first aviation job, however when i was there there was alot of favoritism and just too much of Jerry's and Bob's BS. As far as taking care of their employees at most bases you had noone to cover your run if you got sick at the last minute and i had to threaten to quit before they would send someone to cover my run when i interviewed.

2. 1986-1990 Actually from June 1988 to 1990, i was with another company that merged with them prior.

3. Started out on the 310 then got a run near home in the PA60, then after about 9 months flew the PA31T for about 3 months then got into the Learjet copilot seat.

4. For me it was almost exactly one year to get into the Learjet, not sure what it is now but i'm sure it's much longer.

5. Unfortunately i see the company in five years out of the check business and trying to survive on on demand and contract freight runs and on demand passenger flying.

6. I was hired right at 1200 hrs.

7. Don't know what it is now.

8. I was at a total of seven bases, most of the moves were of my own choice, i started flying the 310 in AGC then moved to SDF then moved to MDW, flew the PA60 and PA31T out of LUK, got the Learjet copilot slot in BFI and when i upgraded to Captain i moved to STP then finally moved to DEN.

9. It all depends on timing and who upgrades/quits.

10. If i were starting out all over again i would definately fly for them again over going to a regional, you get thrown to the wolves your first night without someone to hold your hand. Many nights i was literally the only plane flying in a given sector. You learn every trick of the trade and how to play and beat the ATC system. Some people i fly with now think i'm nuts for doing it and it's sometimes hard to put old habits away like deviating around clouds, not storms but clouds, i you work at Airnet you quickly learn the quickest way between two airports is a straight line ( no deviating ). Oh, when in was in the props, probably less than 10% even had a radar installed, muchless working, plus no props had autopilots, few had dme even less had an HSI.

ORDFO - thank you for taking the time to answer my slew of questions! Sounds like you had quite an experience with AirNet.

Do you know what equipment the planes have now? (i.e. radar, autopilot... etc.?) It's been 13 years since you flew for them, so if you don't know, I understand.

[ QUOTE ]
. If i were starting out all over again i would definately fly for them again over going to a regional, you get thrown to the wolves your first night without someone to hold your hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly the reason I am interested in AirNet. Gaining experience in that type of flying seems priceless for the long run.

If you don't mind my asking one more question: What are you doing now?

Thanks again!

R2F

I'm not sure how the planes are equipped now, i guess the 310s at least are pretty spartan still in their equipment. After a very short period you realize that you don't need that fancy stuff anyway. Most of my prop runs were either flown VFR or if forced to go IFR on radar vectors. My favorite flying 310 had only 2 KX170 nav/comms and a Cessna transponder, that's it. I flew that plane often in the northeast corridor. I'm currently a 757/767 F/O for United Airlines based at ORD.

[ QUOTE ]
I'm currently a 757/767 F/O for United Airlines based at ORD.

[/ QUOTE ]
You're the man! Thanks again for responding.

I hope to follow the same path you took to the airlines.

Did you go to United after AirNet or did you fly for another airline first?

R2F

Re: AirNet Systems, Inc./ work schedule questions

I have 3 qustions;

I read on airnet's website that pilots work a pretty interesting schedule of nights (20hr-0600) from Monday to Thursday. Is that standard for all or most pilots or do they involve weekend work as well?

How much vacation time do you really get?

Do you believe that this is a good career job or a better stepping stone position?

thanks

AirNet pilots usually work from around 10 p.m. to 7 a.m. (times may vary). They fly 6 hours a night on an average and work MOnday through Thursday.

They get standard one to two week vacation packages.

I believe, from what I've read and from the folks I've corresponded with, that it is a VERY good step in one's aviatoin career regardless of what your ultimate goal is.

My instructor got the job at AirNet and starts training class on Tuesday (September 2nd).

Sounds like airnet is a career pilot's dream interms of getting started. Wish there were more companies like them around!
Atleast it would give new start pilots a chance to gain experience that the majors want. And the night flying is good experience for "major wannabes", especially on those trans-atlantic runs!

how has their hiring trends been this year? Are they expected to hirer more pilots or less in the future?

What is like to fly at night and be home/sleep in the daytime?

I currently work for airnet (been in the props for over 2 years)

here's an insight :

to answer your questions :
I like it ! A lot of fun flying and no pax to worry about.
It changed since the 90's !!
shocked.gif

They take good care of their pilots. Pay is very competitive (send a PM if you want details). They have floater pilots to take care of vacation/sick/interview etc... (i'm a floater !).
They give 2 weeks of vacation and 3 weeks after 5 years seniority. No personal time though...only strict sick time (1 week) but it doesn't seem to be a pb!
As far as company expenses ? All covered.
They pay for your initial move and for lateral move (once per upgrade and once per lateral move).
When it's time for training, they get you back in CMH and put you in a hotel with away from base extra pay and per diem.
We fly be58 pa31 and c208 for the props (band new 208's.....sweet)
All props (almost) have gps or rnav at the least and are very well maintained (we received faa award, dod approval).
cool.gif

Upgrade time (prop to FO on lear) seems to be around 22/24 months !! got to be patient.
You are allowed to bid for your initial seat, than once more a year (lateral move) unless upgrade . Means, you could be in two bases per seat in any year, the second base would have you seat locked for a year.
Upgarde to PIC in the lear is...well...not documented
tongue.gif

Night flying is cool, and the schedule is really easy (most runs out there get WE off and bank holidays). This is truly a real career jumpstart.
Whatever is your goal, you will learn so much from this experience.
We fly a lot, fast (probably the fastest and more flexible around
tongue.gif
) , in any weather
shocked.gif
with old school navaids (How many of you "real pilots" remember how to shoot a ndb...........with the needle !).
I thought i knew IFR before i came here and realized i knew FARs and AIM...not even good !
Most former Airnet pilots with "real jobs" still miss flying starcheck (that's our call sign). Like every company, there are backdraws, double standards and little annoyances but overall, it's a good place to work.
The pilot community is awesome, motivated and very dedicated to their work. We all take great pride in what we do.

If you want more info, the website is very good ( www.airnet.com ).

On the pay side : the option is there to make a lot of money...
You could bid a "slacker run" (8 hour duty with 3 or 4 hours flight) and have a lot of spare time, making minimum pay (you are garantee to be paid 80 hours a paycheck -2weeks-) or bid a heavy load with overtime every day (compensated) and 2 extra days a paycheck (total of 10 every 2 weeks) and have less WE time but a fat paycheck.
Little insider trade : be (like me) a floater....that's about twice the minimum pay.......

To sum up : good atmosphere, lots of multi time and turbine PIC (C208) and if you stick around 2or3 years Jet time, WE off (u can party EVERY sat !!) and option to make good money...

Back