Airlines warned over pilot shortage

there_are_four_lights.jpg

I think the last paragraph summed up everything. There are more applications on file than there are vacancies.

"I've been in the business for 32 years, and there has been an impending pilot shortage every year of those 32.” is the quote that I saw. Not trying to be negative but he does have a point.

There was an "OMG DOOM!" Pilot shortage being touted when I was in high school during the mid 1980's.

Speaking of that, scary thought... I probably scooted up to and asked "S'up, shawty?" to a number of your mothers.

I am old.

There is a pilot shortage. Only problem is it's only at the regional level. There will be enough applications at the majors to keep up at least for the next few years.

If I walk up to the Mercedes dealership with $500 in my pocket and say, "I would like to buy this Mercedes and I only want to give you $500" and the salesman laughs at me and refuses to sell me the car, it is not a Mercedes shortage.

There's a steady stream of freshly-coiffed applicants in dark suits and red ties (yes, all of them, why is that?) into the pilot selection office as I can see across from the cafeteria. There's no shortage or if there is, you certainly can't tell here on the G.O. campus.

There is, however, a thin stream of applicants that are willing to work for the pay and benefits structure at the regionals.

The only program we need is… well... cash 'n prizes.

If I walk up to the Mercedes dealership with $500 in my pocket and say, "I would like to buy this Mercedes and I only want to give you $500" and the salesman laughs at me and refuses to sell me the car, it is not a Mercedes shortage......

How come TheDo wouldn't sell you the car....?

The problem with the "more applications than positions" line is that anything above the regional level all have applications from the same people on file. So if you add the applications from UAL/DAL/NEWAA/BLU/BROWN/PURPLE/ETC/ETC....... you get a number: X.

X isn't the number of pilots looking for positions. The "pilots looking for new slots" number is more like X/number of airlines above the regional level. I always hear from the naysayers "but but but UAL has more apps on file than available slots in the next decade". Perhaps, but UAL has the same damn apps as delta, who have the same damn apps as the new AA.

So to sit around and say OMG there are 100k people looking for a slot but there's only 10K positions in the next decade is incorrect.

I agree with the whole no shortage at the major level thing but I do believe that if you want to be at a major you have a better chance in the next 10 years than anyone has had in the past 30+ of making it there.

This is probably the most unintelligible post I've ever done here, but I'm trying to do like 6 things at once. Most of this is being typed during CoD Ghosts intermissions.

If I walk up to the Mercedes dealership with $500 in my pocket and say, "I would like to buy this Mercedes and I only want to give you $500" and the salesman laughs at me and refuses to sell me the car, it is not a Mercedes shortage.

$500 on craigslist. Sold!

00A0A_2gjDpz4bXN1_600x450.jpg

SeanD said:
Id totally buy that for $500!!

You're not alone. I'd feel bad only paying $500 for it.

When I was furloughed and working out in SC as a meteorologist one young airmen had a collection of old Mercedes Benz. Kid absolutely loved the old Benzs.

He lucked out getting stationed in Germany, I have a feeling he's made a couple more purchases while over there.

ZOMG PiLoT SHORTAGE!!! You pay me five dolla and I give you a guaranteed job working for DELTA dba NewbyJet regional starting out at a whopping $25k!

It is very creative marketing. Nothing like a good ole self induced frenzy in the industry to get people in the doors.

Back