Airliners parked in the desert

aloft

I drove up US-395 to Reno for the air races week before last and seeing all the tails, had to stop for some photos. Here are a couple shots at "Southern California Logistics" airport, the old George AFB. All that unused capacity is kinda sobering.

vcv3.jpg

vcv2.jpg

Great shot!

How'd you get the wide aspect? Or is that just cropped?

They're each 2 or 3 shots Photoshopped together, then cropped. Those little RJ-looking things on the right of the first photo are actually 727s.
shocked.gif

Is there any other major activity going on at that airport apart from desert storage?

Sad to see......

[ QUOTE ]
Is there any other major activity going on at that airport apart from desert storage?

[/ QUOTE ]

Probably a pilot or two that diverted during bad weather and sleeping in a old DC-8 in the boneyard there.
smile.gif

I hear someone at Riddle did that back in the late 80's!
smile.gif
Actually, it was IGM (Kingman, AZ)

Now an old jet could make a cool little apartment. Hey they have liveabord boats, why not liveabord 727's????

[ QUOTE ]

Probably a pilot or two that diverted during bad weather and sleeping in a old DC-8 in the boneyard there.
smile.gif

I hear someone at Riddle did that back in the late 80's!
smile.gif
Actually, it was IGM (Kingman, AZ)

[/ QUOTE ]

It was comfy.

Besides the bozo flight sups shouldn't have launched me in the first place! I should've just flown back that night and parked the plane on the south ramp, then walk in at 1200 the next day and drop off the forms binder.....

Ahh, but Mikey! You wouldn't want to unleash the wrath of Ron Evans now would ya?

"Here's the paperwork Ron. Boy was the weather rough!"

"Oh greeeeeeeat greeeeeeeeeat! Wait while I enjoy my lunch... Mmmmm! MMmmmm! Oh, go see your flight supervisor"

smile.gif

BTW, I saw Greg Dunn (Hey Maaaan!) a few years ago on the 757/767. He was pretty tickled that his student was now senior to him at Delta.

They're probably not scrap metal, probably just sitting out a lease or waiting on a buyer.

I'm still in shock over the UAL thing because any flyboy in his right mind on the west coast wanted to work for UAL back in the 1990's. The biggest jets, the best bases and the largest network.

Heck, one of my pals over there who was there for 5 years as a junior SFO A-320 captain where I was a junior MD-88/90 FO thinking that it was "cool" to fly west of DFW instead of doing the DFW-SHV-MLU-ATL shuttle. Even one of the guys that ditched Delta and went to UAL spent a year as 737 FO and then onto 777 international FO.

Ebb and flow.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually this company called Scaled Composites have been testing there new private spaceship there.. heres a cool pic of it, you can see the jets in the background.

318_fly_by_800.jpg

URL Personal Space Craft

[ QUOTE ]
Now an old jet could make a cool little apartment. Hey they have liveabord boats, why not liveabord 727's????

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually there is someone who thought of doing just that..

FullRightSideSmall.jpg

URL Airplane Home

If you look on the FAR right of the top photo, at the powerplant in the background - that is the High Desert Power Project. The engineering firm I work for designed that power plant and our sister company constructed it.

Since I work as a graphic designer, I always get in photos from the job site to catalog in our photo archives. Those jets are in the background of a lot of them!

I've always hoped that I'd get sent out there to assist on a professional photo shoot so I could check out the aircraft.
wink.gif
Now that the power plant is officially finished and operating, there's a *slim* chance that might happen.

Sarah

what's the reason that they take off the noses? are they afraid someone might come in and grab a jet and just up and take off with it??

that's quite a picture!! have to tell me what program you used to put it together and all that jazz...

There is a radar in the nose that I would guess they would take out. I am not sure if it is just more work then it is worth to put the fiberglass back on, or if they keep them somewhere else for spares. Doug will be able to tell you more about the radar in the nose - maybe bring it up over dinner.

Incredible desert photos. Someone is either making or losing a whole lot 'o cash with those expensive things sitting out there doing nothing.

[ QUOTE ]
Incredible desert photos. Someone is either making or losing a whole lot 'o cash with those expensive things sitting out there doing nothing.

[/ QUOTE ]

It is cheaper then operating them a quarter full.

[ QUOTE ]
that's quite a picture!! have to tell me what program you used to put it together and all that jazz...

[/ QUOTE ]Adobe Photoshop, just pasted 2 or 3 separate shots from my digicam together (at its highest resolution--5 megapixels) and cropped them to minimize the size of the files.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Way too many 747-400's out there. Yikes.

[/ QUOTE ]
confused.gif
frown.gif
confused.gif
frown.gif
confused.gif
frown.gif
confused.gif
frown.gif
crazy.gif

All those beautiful planes turned into scrap metal and parts. What a pity.

[/ QUOTE ]

They aren't being scrapped, they are being stored.

Attn Doug, if I have the money, could I buy any of those aircraft that are sitting there? Im in the market for a 757 or a old L-1011 if you see one...

Back