Airline Pilot Side Businesses

PaulS

I have always heard about pilots having a side business or such, since they have a lot of free time. What are some that you have heard of?

Also, would I be able to pursue a business of managing an investment fund? All I would need is a laptop computer to bring with me.

A few corporate pilots around here are into real estate in varyious forms. Mostly rental properties of one form or another.

[ QUOTE ]
they have a lot of free time.

[/ QUOTE ]

I wish my pilot had a lot of free time!

I knew of "3" pilots that were used car salesmen, several pilots were lawyers (one was a divorce lawyer), 1 was a pro. pianist, dude was amazing, several were actors (1 had a national commerical spot).

Well mine isn't now, but he would like to do some wood working. That's probably more of a hobby then a side business though huh. I know he'd love to be a professional golfer on the side. If only he was good at it.
grin.gif

So far I've seen food franchise owners, investment advisors, landscaping companies, real estate developers, Mary Kay cosmetics (believe it or not), laywers, veternarians, computer consultants, engineers... It pretty much runs the gamut (gamit?).

Me? I'd like to eventually own a bar or a coffee shop.

Male pilots doing Mary Kay? Or female? Hmmm. Lol. So how about "Jet Fuel" for your coffee shop name. Hahahaha.

Male pilot, female wife, both selling Mary Kay. In fact, the Danforths are the regional directors in TX or something like that.

Pat Danforth (wife of a 737 captain) is a fantastic lady and really gave me the kick in the butt I needed to get off my duff and start traveling to Europe more often. She's a cancer survivor and very motivational.

vehicles.gif

Falcon Crest! Very successful couple.

Around me there are pilots that substitute teach on their days off. Some have subbed in my moms building. In the state of Illinois you need a bachelors degree and you are qualified to sub, so they are covered.

At my airline: a few substitute teach, a couple of A&P's on the side, a DE, real estate, a physician, bar tenders, Home Depot. One guy does drug runs in a DC-3 to Mexico--I'm kidding, just checking if you're paying attention.

My favorite is this one: We have an FO that travels to NYC once a month to pick up a bunch of Guci knock off purses from the illegal street vendors and sells them to flight attendants.

[ QUOTE ]
I'd like to eventually own a bar or a coffee shop.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't know about the coffee shop, Doug, but the bar is a lot of work! I helped three of my friends get one started and man, was there a lot of work to be done!

It's not bad now, but getting things going was a royal pain in the butt!

I'm thinking about getting into video production. I have some contacts at a couple fishing lodges in Alaska and have thought about taking the clients' hours of boring fishing videos and making an exciting "My Alaska Fishing TriP" DVD for them to show family and friends.

I've got the equipment. . . just need the time. It's tough with a young family. I already spend too much time on this machine as it is!!

I'm planning on starting up another newspaper (or some kind of publication) at some point ...

You can take the instigator out of journalism but you can't take journalism out of the instigator!
cool.gif

Who knows ... maybe I'll start up an aviation pub worth a damn-and-a-half...

[ QUOTE ]
Male stripper... You mean there isn't a market for middle aged bald men? Crap.

[/ QUOTE ]

Dude, didn't you see the Full Monty?

grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Around me there are pilots that substitute teach on their days off. Some have subbed in my moms building. In the state of Illinois you need a bachelors degree and you are qualified to sub, so they are covered.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you know how to apply to sub? Do you need to get certification? I'd like to sub at my old high school on my days off, don't know how to go about it.

Back