Airline Pay

[ QUOTE ]
But at what price? If you've got two pilots with equal experiece, and one is willing to work at half the other's wage, I'll take the cheap guy.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good for you. Now go search the forums, and you'll find plenty of debates on this topic. This is a war you will not likely win on this website, so I wouldn't even bother- it'll probably just turn into a flame fest.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
But at what price? If you've got two pilots with equal experiece, and one is willing to work at half the other's wage, I'll take the cheap guy.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good for you. Now go search the forums, and you'll find plenty of debates on this topic. This is a war you will not likely win on this website, so I wouldn't even bother- it'll probably just turn into a flame fest.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think what he said is very debatable. An employer would be stupid not to pick a guy who will work for less with equal skills/experience. What I wouldn't start doing is going around and telling people that airline pilots are overpaid or start ranting about how you will fly for free. Even if it is just a figure of speech.

[ QUOTE ]
What I wouldn't start doing is going around and telling people that airline pilots are overpaid like some guy did earlier in this thread

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, some guy....like maybe the guy I was talking to...
smirk.gif

I'm not going to get into a pissing match over this. I'm just pointing out that you will open Pandora's Box by saying things like that.

Hello,

I just wanted to offer some links to a couple of articles and one chart about pilot pay for major carriers. Even though these are just a few of the many articles I have read about this subject, most of the articles confirm that pilots working for a major carrier will make six figure incomes. This is also confirmed by many airline pilots whom I have spoken with.

http://archives.seattletimes.nwsource.com/cgi-bin/texis.cgi/web/vortex/display?slug=united29&date=20030329&query=pilot+pay

http://www.forbes.com/global/2003/0217/046.html

http://www.jet-jobs.com/press%20releases/airlinefacts.html

Thanks for the links.
Damn! Those U.S air guys took some hefty pay cuts.
I know all the majors are in bad shape but most of the focus is on UAL, AA, and U.S air. What about NW, Delta and Continental?

Hellllllll naw! Dougie gots ta get paid!

I worked my ass off too long and put up with way too much bullsh*t to get to where I am to earn only enough to cover rent and an occasional trip to IHOP.

This job is hard, rough on the family life (even with being a childless couple) and you're way closer to death on a weekly basis than the general public may care to hear.

Or even some pilots.

I would not do my job for $30,000 per year. Considering that I've seen my wife a grand total of 48 hours in the past 12 days, pshaw! I'd rather work down at Bank of America and have someone to snuggle up to every evening.

Considering I've only slept in my bed 12 nights since July 31st...

That is precisely why I am gonna carry my own pillow and blankie. (I hate crunch hotel sheets) Bring some home with me if I can't be there.

This always cracks me up. My mother was on a flight when my dad was captain, they lost an engine (767) and had to return to the airport. She said she didn't hear anyone on that flight complaining about how much he made then.

I can also tell you that if you are in it for the money then forget it. My family was taken care of but by no means wealthy. Most pilots I know who have "made it" live a frugal lifestyle by nature. I am not looking forward, however, to paying back loans when making $20,000/year. I think it's a travesty to see the salaries plummet, especially in a business where there is no security - just ask United pilots about their "retirement".

Doug - could you post your schedule for the month, I always find that interesting. Was most of your time away due to commuting?

First year pay at most entry-level pilot positions at the regional airlines, freight dogs and charter operators are in the $20k-$30k range, with some even less than that. Instructors (who are the true entry-level pilots) make much less than that.

Ray

Look, this is getting blown out of proportion here. The thing is, yeah, the salary is pretty low for the first 5 or so years as a pro pilot, but then things start to pick up if youve played your cards right. Doug is a living testament to that. And OK, so some of the airlines have had to implement pay cuts in order to stay afloat. *scratches my head* I think I remember learning that this is a cyclical industry. Anyway, its certainly not for everyone. You want EASY money? Sell drugs! You want to have a blast and a career that will keep you excited for years? Keep on flyin!

You guys have to call John McCain. Apparently, he was on the radio this afternoon here in PHX talking about how we all work 9 days and earn $250,000!

Why am I sitting in an airport hotel with a 0430 pickup when I could more than double my income and be off 21 days a month!

I am SO cheating myself by not applying to the airline that he keeps talking about!

I spent seven years looking for the glamour that I thought I'd have as a high-flying flight attendant for the world's largest airline system!

Damn if I couldn't find it anywhere!

Something that torked me off to no end was the whiny ignorant flight attendants who had no clue what kind of training is involved in being a pilot, and what the guys up front have done to get there. I set more than a few straight, and had to tell them in no uncertain terms that, no, we as flight attendants should NOT be paid the same as the pilots. I don't care if we do have the same lousy work schedule, we didn't have to have years & thousands of hours of expensive experience to get where we are. My pilots deserved every penny they made, and in the case of CFI's and regional guys, MORE. My husband worked for years making less than $10,000 a year as a CFI in St. Louis (1991-1994). 10 long years and 4 airlines later, he deserves what he earns.

Just my two cents worth, but since I'm furloughed can you give them back when you're done?

Back