Airline Pay

Flyr3465

How much Does a Airline Pilot make starting??? And How much does A airline pilot make when he retires???

Thanks
Chirs

For starting with a regional carrier, 19 dollars an hour seems to be the standard. What, 75-90 hours a month paid, you do the math.

The one good thing about pilot pay is raises are fairly big jumps (relative) year after year. It may be an extra 5 or 10 dollars an hour, but it's a difference between ramen and cambells.

For retirement... Well, depends on how far you get
wink.gif

Around 100-200k if you are getting up there in seniority.

Hope that didn't sound too bad.

[ QUOTE ]
For starting with a regional carrier, 19 dollars an hour seems to be the standard. What, 75-90 hours a month paid, you do the math.

The one good thing about pilot pay is raises are fairly big jumps (relative) year after year. It may be an extra 5 or 10 dollars an hour, but it's a difference between ramen and cambells.

For retirement... Well, depends on how far you get
wink.gif

Hope that didn't sound too bad.

[/ QUOTE ]

Blah!

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't forget if your airline doesn't go under and force you to start at the bottom all over again...

There are very, very, very few pilots making over 100k. Sure if you happened to get on at one of the majors before 1996 you might be. I think USAir's furloughs went all the way back to 1991.

You are about to see a major change in the industry. The J4J program has proven that pilots will work for less than 6 figures.

I don't think many majors will be hiring in the next ten years without major adjustments to pay scales. Look for "C" or even "D" scales (under another more "politically correct" name of course!) to appear in the majors.

Now that management knows they can get pilots cheaper, they will,

Starting out is tough, especially now. I went the cargo route, so I never flew at a commutter. Aren't there some regional airlines that have written rules stating you cannot go pick up your food stamps while in uniform? I remember hearing that once or twice.

[ QUOTE ]
Aren't there some regional airlines that have written rules stating you cannot go pick up your food stamps while in uniform? I remember hearing that once or twice.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think I would have to wear SOMETHING (like a hat) with the company logo on it, just to get my point across....

Man I love flying and all but thats ZERO money.
I always wanted to own a corvette you know
wink.gif

Maybe within the next 10 years before i come close to Airline business thatll change.

By "Getting up there in seniority" I didn't even mean a ten year Captain, I'm talking if you are one of the lucky ones to be flying heavy metal after a 27 year career in flying and retiring in one.

"Now that management knows they can get pilots cheaper, they will"

I don't know how long it will last, atleast a few years. The economy will pick up, and eventually pilots who've been around awhile will start realizing they are getting screwed in pay..

You can't fly without pilots regardless of how much management tries.

[ QUOTE ]
You are about to see a major change in the industry. The J4J program has proven that pilots will work for less than 6 figures.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
Now that management knows they can get pilots cheaper, they will,

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you think union strikes will be inevitable when the airline industry recovers?

grin.gif
Wohoo my 100th post!
grin.gif

If the industry recovers and they don't compensate absolutley. Is it fair to ask for pay cuts to survive and then and then not reward them if a recovery is made.

I have always wanted to know this: Will the IRS tax me if I am a Flight Instructor making $10,000 - $14,000 a year?

How do the tax brackets work?

Being broke as I am i know that when you are making minimal money (10-15K a year) they govt takes about 30% of what you make. I don't know what bracket or any of that but it averages between 25 and 30. Hope that helps. Just remember, rice and ramen are your friends.
tongue.gif

To get that seniority point would be tough now days. Because alot of people are having trouble finding jobs at regionals much less the majors, and even if you do get witha major i think youd be lucky to be a captain for 12 years, because youd be older when your hired and you have to retire at 60, assuming you stay in 1st medical condition.

On that chart, where it says "seniority year" does that start with your FIRST year? Like is seniority year one your first year with them, or is it something like you have to go through say 5 years as joe nobody and then you start a "seniority" year one? Hope that made sense.

Back